advertisement

Loading - DV Te Kaitora Rua

I would suggest you email Melonie

[email protected]

to discover whether she has any new Nagatron transformers left. These have bags of gain- easily enough for my Dynavector DVXX2 (II) and a wonderful sound. For what she charges, even adding shipping from the U.S. it’s the bargain of the century.

Alternatively, check out Sowter. They do a range of DIY self contained MC shielded units that could be built into an excellent transformer at low cost, either by yourself of someone else.

Loading on the DVXX2 (II) makes a significant difference to the sound. See what I have to say about the Nag below: it is fixed loading, but ideal for the XX2(II) and also the Te you have. See what I have to say about the Nagatron below.

NAGATRON Z-coupler

This accounts for the superior low level detail. The Nag is wound with 99.99% pure silver wire. It is engineered with a very short magnetic circuit, said to be the reason for its phase coherence.

Compared with a K&K ‘Premium’ MC transformer (optimally loaded with shinkoh tantalums) the Nag has slightly better image width and depth in my system. And the Nag sounds more ‘live’ and ‘realistic’. This is not a subtle difference and it is immediately apparent.

In my system, which is tri- amped and star wired with no crossover from the dedicated valve midrange amp to the midrange drivers, the midrange speaker cable is a 1.5 metre run of 99.99% pure silver/ptfe - cryogenically treated. I made it myself, but I don’t survive in such low temperatures so I sent it away to a freezer geezer to be treated.

I also have 99.99% silver/ptfe cable running from the tweeter monobloks to the tweeters, and pure silver wire in various other places in the system’s components.

The silver windings in the Nag account, in part, for the Nagatron’s superior performance. Using my toggle- switched attenuator it reveals clear differences between vishay bulk foil and vishay ‘nude’ resistors that are largely masked by the K&K ‘Premium’ transformer.

There are disadvantages with the Nag. It has a fixed load and is almost ideal for my Dynavector DVXX2(II). Ideally it should be used with cartridges having a 3-5 ohms impedance but using my van den Hul, with an ideal 60ohm load, it will probably not work as well as the K&K, nor will my (modified) Denon AU320. The Nag specifies a maximum input of 300mV. The vdH puts out 400. I expect that the Nag output will overload some preamps. It is inflexible compared to the K&K but I am delighted with its performance and it is a clear and considerable improvement on the K&K. It makes my entire system sound- well- more realistic.

It is curious that the Nag has not improved after breaking in. It sounded as good as it gets straight out if its brand new 30 year old box.

Credit for this Nagatron AG 9200 transformer goes to the Japenese originators all those years ago. They must have stayed up all night to come up with its name. It probably sounds even better in Japenese.

A great, inexpensive upgrade.

Yeah - he is good - football mad.....! Was never going to be a vinyl loving karter - but hey ho! All ok your end - boys keeping you on your toes Im sure!

The boys are ok, it's my little girl!
Take care of yourself, vb Keith.
I need a cart for the SG1 TT you really rate the RUA?

Good good - i can def recommend the Rua, and the XV - not heard the XV1-t yet - that could well blow eveything else into next week......

advertisement

Back