advertisement

LMS - why would it find fewer files than Moode using same USB disk?

James Evans

Bedroom Bodger
Moode sees 16,231 tracks, LMS sees 16,160, same disk. So far I have found one album that is missing from the library. I'm not sure at the moment if it is whole dirs/albums or random tracks that are missing, but from my sample of one it would appear to be albums (not many, granted).

I don't know anything about Moode, does it also report on number of albums and artists? And if so do they match LMS? Does Moode include tracks from any external (streamed? another disk?) sources?

I'll have to check on album/artist counts as well. All files are from a single source, all in the same folder structure on the same disk, I just unplugged it from one pi and put it in another. I have a third pi running moode with a copy of the disk, so I can use that for comparison purposes. Just wondering if there's anything obvious I've missed.

Could it be identical tracks found on multiple albums? In the past I used software (maybe iTunes?) that culled duplicate tracks from the database if they were the same (don’t remember if it was hash based or online database based) but it drove me nuts.

Years later when I moved the library to a NAS I noticed tracks missing from albums where I had ripped from CD. Tracks would be found in compilations for example and then missing from the original release album.

It took hours to manually copy tracks back into place and fix the tags. Now the music volume on my NAS is read only to prevent ‘smart’ software from doing stupid things.

Don't think duplicate as I know I have 2 albums by this artist on there and only one is showing up. I need to do some more checking when I get time.

Were you doing a rescan when you checked?
Sometime LMS doesn't find things when you're scanning.

Could it be identical tracks found on multiple albums? In the past I used software (maybe iTunes?) that culled duplicate tracks from the database if they were the same (don’t remember if it was hash based or online database based) but it drove me nuts.

Years later when I moved the library to a NAS I noticed tracks missing from albums where I had ripped from CD. Tracks would be found in compilations for example and then missing from the original release album.

It took hours to manually copy tracks back into place and fix the tags. Now the music volume on my NAS is read only to prevent ‘smart’ software from doing stupid things.

Been there. Done that. Massive PITA. :mad:

I think it may be due to accented characters in some of the file meta data. This one particular album appears to have description meta data that has french accented characters in it. If I browse the folder through the LMS player UI the folder is showing up but shows as empty. I'll have to see if I can edit the meta data and rescan.

Which brings me to the next issue.... How do I get the USB disk to appear in windows explorer? My Moode instances all just appear automatically in the network list. LMS is not appearing. It is also not properly broadcasting its host name either, as I can only get to it via IP address at the moment (two issues may be related...)

LMS is installed via picoreplayer btw

(Moode is winning here at the moment ;) Just thought it would be nice to be able to have players around the house with separate disks attached)

Which brings me to the next issue.... How do I get the USB disk to appear in windows explorer? My Moode instances all just appear automatically in the network list. LMS is not appearing. It is also not properly broadcasting its host name either, as I can only get to it via IP address at the moment (two issues may be related...)

Not actually the issue that you are asking about, but I have tried on and off over the years to get the USB attached to a Pi running moOde to appear on a Windows machine but only with sporadic success. They will appear as UPnP devices that I can play to but not as storage on the network. Did you do anything particular to get this to work?

To come back to the original issue, yes I have also encountered albums not being picked up due to special characters - mostly in Scandinavian names from memory. The other thing that has changed in the current version of moOde is the ability to ignore CUE sheets which on the previous version did lead to duplicate listings when the CUE information was different to the tags.

You may need to enable a Samba share in Picoreplayer and set it as a network drive in Windows.
Thanks, Samba share enabled and I can see it in Windows now.

Looks like the files for this one album may have been corrupted somehow, they had no tags showing at all. I've copied the files back over and rescanned and this album now shows up. We'll see if I ever notice which other files are missing.

Not actually the issue that you are asking about, but I have tried on and off over the years to get the USB attached to a Pi running moOde to appear on a Windows machine but only with sporadic success. They will appear as UPnP devices that I can play to but not as storage on the network. Did you do anything particular to get this to work?

To come back to the original issue, yes I have also encountered albums not being picked up due to special characters - mostly in Scandinavian names from memory. The other thing that has changed in the current version of moOde is the ability to ignore CUE sheets which on the previous version did lead to duplicate listings when the CUE information was different to the tags.

I can't remember offhand if I had to do anything specific I'm afraid. It does seem to vary from one machine to the other in the house, and my work laptop simply refuses to see anything on my home network at all (including the printer annoyingly).

One more update, having set up Samba sharing in pcp it is the share name that appears to be being broadcast as the host name, not the host name configured on the pcp tweaks page. So I can access LMS through a browser using the samba share name instead of the ip address now...

Another issue, some tracks are inexplicably ending early and moving on to the next. I have no idea why. Thought it was maybe a disk issue but have shut LMS down, plugged the disk back into the Moode pi and all is well there.

I've switched to picoreplayer as the LMS renderer now and that is behaving better than moode/squeezelite. I'm now warming to this LMS/PCP setup, having also got it controlling a spare chromecast, and bluetooth/spotify connect all appears to work fine.

Next question - is ipeng still the best app for ios control or are there other options?

advertisement

Back