advertisement

Linn vs the rest of the world.

The one or two hifi shops I used to frequent in the late 80's early 90's did carry competition to Linn and would demo them, my memory is mainly of speakers and later amps and CD players. The LP12 was just so well built and looked so gorgeous it sold itself (sounded good too). The dealers however did try to steer you towards Linn. On a couple of occasion, I insisted I liked the Kef and later a Micromega and the salesman who knew me quite well said that I'd regret it when I took it home and should I wish I could return it and pay the extra to get the Linn he recommended. He was quite right and within a few days I had returned the Kef and Micromega. I now recall a similar event when the LK280 and Kairn were released, they were put up against Naim and Quad.

The red section (my highlight) is just the experience I had several times but firmer. The attitude was 'your ears (as in mine) can't be as good as mine (the dealer's)'. Bloody arrogant are a number of Linn dealers ........... (and yes I own some Linn)

I was going to do that but on checking the listing had been dropped (presumably job filled). Keep checking though if you can be bothered. It might come back and I expect they'd use the same copy -unless they see this thread :)

If it helps after a long career in management I'm quite reliable at reading between the lines. Not that this one presented any kind of test - Linn's use of euphemism was light and wholly transparent.

Likewise, I’ve managed sales teams for nearly 40 years so I’m pretty sure I’d be capable of correctly interpreting the ad.

Shame you couldn’t find it, though that’s not surprising is it?

Likewise, I’ve managed sales teams for nearly 40 years so I’m pretty sure I’d be capable of correctly interpreting the ad.

Shame you couldn’t find it, though that’s not surprising is it?

Not surprising they filled the job and took down the listing? Not especially no. That's what tends to happen.

I see you missed my point. Anyway, as it stands, you've merely provided us with your negative assessment of a company based on an ad that only you have seen - and your interpretation of it. You'll excuse me for being a little sceptical.

I saw the LP12 in many shops that sold other decks in the same price bracket back in the 80s when I got my Linn. Never heard a deck that sounded better back then. Occasionally you stumbled across a deck that sounded different and was equally good. Personally, I like the LP12 sound and stuck with it. It is the best deck? For me I would say it is, for many others, I am sure there are better decks.

Just thinking, I've seen Technics decks in the front shop of Loud & Clear Glasgow most of the times I've been in. Loud & Clear Edinburgh sell SME and VPI. HiFi Corner are a Linn stockist and they also sell Technics, Avid, EAT, ProJect, Vertere, Michell, Mobile Fidelity and Roksan turntables!

I don't know where this idea that Linn stockists are only allowed to sell Linn turntables came from but disproving it is not difficult.

Grahams in London demonstrated a Linn a Rega and a Townshend Rock to me in 1981 or 1982.

Russ Andrews in Edinburgh sold Linn and Rega in 1976.

There seems to be little support, here at least, for the OP's proposition.

I always thought Linn wanted their customers to conduct an AB demo before buying. As far I recall they would never put up their budget (Axis) TT against the LP12.

I always thought Linn wanted their customers to conduct an AB demo before buying. As far I recall they would never put up their budget (Axis) TT against the LP12.
Did you ever ask?

The attitude was 'your ears (as in mine) can't be as good as mine (the dealer's)'. Bloody arrogant are a number of Linn dealers ...

Would you have the same attitude to a plumber who had fitted thousands of boilers telling you he was better qualified at fitting boilers?

I put my axis up against my mates LP12..LP12 won but it was closer than I thought it would be..

My first experience was of a few options beside the LP12, don’t ever recall just Linn on offer. Usually dealer had Rega or Systemdek at lower prices and often Oracle at more than LP12.

I bought a new Xerxes in 1987 for £540, the LP12 was around £100 cheaper then. In 1989 I met Ivor who was a customer in bank and told him I had a Xerxes which he took well saying it was very nice. Had a few LP12’s since which I might not have if I.T. had told me to shove it . Very nice man.

In the early days Linn weren't too fussy who sold their turntables. My original one came from the Elena Mae shop on Prince's Street Edinburgh. Elena Mae were a small Scottish chain of photography shops who sold hi-fi in a small way. It was a shop soiled turntable which cost me around £100 in about 1975. I carried it home to Elgin on the train.

You heard did you?
Well as someone who was around in the period I can tell your post is unmitigated bollocks.
When I bought my Linn in 84 I compared it against my thorens, a Pink Triangle and others.
I think you'll find other people have heard the things I did. I was around at the time the 'information' came to light and all I did was point out what I heard.

In fact, there may have been an article in one of the Hi-Fi magazines at the time which may have been where I 'heard' about this in the first place.

I'll check it out and get back to you.

Bollocks. lol

Three pages of posts agree with me.
But don’t bother getting back.
I’m not interested in your agenda.

advertisement

Back