advertisement

Linn Speakers, are they any good ?

Indeed. There are those who like their earth flat...and the others ;)

I just tend to think that people who rave about Linn speakers haven't heard much else, or what they have heard isn't too clever.
I got rid of my Bariks when I realised they were comprehensively outclassed by a pair of 12" Tannoy monitor gold chassis in some floorstanding home made cabs a friend gave me. We're not talking opinion here, this was outright clear superiority, unless your criteria for hi fi reproduction prioritized a flat, unreal sound, a limited soundstage, sat-on dynamics and listener fatigue. Friends who knew my system concurred, visiting civillians said how real it sounded (comments the Bariks had never attracted) as did my other half who isn't interested in hi fi but seemed to be playing more records...

When I sold them I demo'd them, but I didn't dare have the buyer listen to them in comparison with the Tannoys. I know he'd have walked away.

Although Linn called the Bariks DMS (domestic monitor system) and PMS (pre menstrual sorry professional monitor system) I don't think they were ever used in a studio enviroment, or had a studio heritage, as do Tannoy or JBL. You have to ask why professionals shunned them, if they were such fabulous speakers?

It really is 'each to their own.'
I have never heard a Linn loudspeaker I really liked.
Some were impressive, such as the Isobarik.
The Kan I really didn't like from the moment I heard it and, yes, it was on the end of a Naim system.
Some here love Naim electronics and their speakers.
No problem for me.
Interestingly, my son once returned from a ( rich ) man up the road from us who owned an all Naim Sytem with lots of power amplifiers, etc. into 'massive speakers' as my son called them.
Yes, Isobariks.
My son said it was impressive, but the flute in the music he listened to didn't sound anything like the one his Mother played at home.
Draw your own conclusions.

It really is 'each to their own.'
I have never heard a Linn loudspeaker I really liked.
Some were impressive, such as the Isobarik.
The Kan I really didn't like from the moment I heard it and, yes, it was on the end of a Naim system.
Some here love Naim electronics and their speakers.
No problem for me.
Interestingly, my son once returned from a ( rich ) man up the road from us who owned an all Naim Sytem with lots of power amplifiers, etc. into 'massive speakers' as my son called them.
Yes, Isobariks.
My son said it was impressive, but the flute in the music he listened to didn't sound anything like the one his Mother played at home.
Draw your own conclusions.

I conclude from that, that not all flutes sound the same.... I'll shut the door on my way out :D.

Nor do loudspeakers, and I don't like ones made by Linn.
I mean, of course, excluding the present day Linn speakers which I have never heard.

I don't like all speakers made by linn, I like some of them a lot though. I'm not a massive fan of their newer models, I much prefer my keltiks to 242s for example, and the 350s aren't enough of an improvement to justify their considerable price.

I'm yet to try the akubarik but I'm not in a rush, I like what I have. A £6k pair of focals in my home didn't convince me to ditch the keltiks, quite the opposite in fact.

I'd quite like to try some big ATCs at some point though. I really like harbeth M40s too but domestically acceptable they ain't so won't be replacing my keltiks.

Got some second hand Tukans around 1995. Was very pleased with them. Good bass for the size and very good clarity. Sounded much better than my friend's Kans. Only got rid of them 2 years ago when some Sonus Fabers came my way.

Don't know much about other Linns.

The Tukans are lovely sounding and beautifully made. I had a pair in my family room hooked up to a Marantz receiver/CATV box for 15 years providing A/V sound for my now 42 inch Plasma.

I just tend to think that people who rave about Linn speakers haven't heard much else, or what they have heard isn't too clever.

Although Linn called the Bariks DMS (domestic monitor system) and PMS (pre menstrual sorry professional monitor system) I don't think they were ever used in a studio enviroment, or had a studio heritage, as do Tannoy or JBL. You have to ask why professionals shunned them, if they were such fabulous speakers?

Often Bariks are/were compared to other expensive speakers with different result /taste
Never heard someone prefer JBL4410 - hence my comment, 4410 vs Bariks - they are indeed very different
but its your choice and taste in which I haven't the slightest against, however Bariks are complex speakers and relative hard and demanding getting superb results from, maybe not all bad experiences with these speakers are fair bashing, perfect they are not but in some ways they are fabulous(using your own word) indeed active driven helps

Never thought about studio use and you may have a point?(not that I like but a few "studio" speakers myself)

Still have Keilidhs and dont like them, and dont rate them very highly. But my wife likes the colour/finish so they are still here, in the Conservatory. Who am I to argue?

So do I (since around 1996), except that I do like them. They're different from the others (Quad ESL-57, Rogers LS3/5a), which, to my ears, makes them interesting. I quite enjoy listening to them purely for that difference. And they do look rather nice.

I looked at some current Linn speakers for sale and saw the Majik 109 model.
The Stereophile review was very positive.
I have great respect for what Stereophile magazine writes, unlike some of the British audio press.

My only real problem is the way they look, but then I find the Nissan Juke very ugly whilst some people think it is chic.
Oh, those French words...
M Miles.

And they do look rather nice.

Agreed, linn speakers from that era were beautifully built and styled, well keltiks might divide opinions which their grilles removed due to the dimpled black baffle but with the grilles fitted they are as beautiful as the rest. The American cherry and walnut finishes are really lovely!

I really don't know of a more solidly built and better finished mini monitor than the tukan, I keep being tempted every time I see a nice pair come up for sale but I don't need them if I'm honest with my self. I'd just be buying them because they are nice.

I looked at some current Linn speakers for sale and saw the Majik 109 models.
I have no idea what they sounfd like, but to my eyes they a pig ugly...

Yeah, not a big fan of the scoop on the majik models. Linn had the styling spot on in the 90's, the ninka's/katans/espeks aren't bad but they are neither as stylish or solid as their predecessors.

Everything since has been a bit too blingy really, it'd be better if they offered the magnetic grille like they did for the 212/242, that was a nice touch IMO.

I've good memories of a pair of Tukan on top of modified Ku-stone stands.
Keilidhs also with their dark presentation.
AV5140 with that airy sound.

Unfortunately I've never heard Isobariks, Keltiks and Kabers, but I don't like too much Saras and Kans.
About the newer speakers, to me, they don't sparkle. Although the Akubariks are very nice.

I thought I'd add my two-penneth just because I have a CB NAC62/Nap110 [serviced to 140-like] + Linn Saras [with the Linn-logo tweeters]. All bought secondhand in the year 2000-ish and never since tweaked or fiddled with.
They were bought as part of a small games room system, cos it was cheap-ish, had a certain industrial-style and because I could [whereas I certainly couldn't when they came out and were all the rage]. I was blissfully unaware of any contentious debates and lived (and still do) on a spheroidal earth.
In their context the Saras are great fun and certainly do have a signature sound. Someone mentioned a ghetto blaster and that struck a chord. The sweetest, most dynamic and grunty ghetto-blaster I've ever heard - with the torque of single cylinder thumper growling along at low revs.
My other-half likes them: one-time when I was away the students next door were having a mid-week party and were immune to her early-morning wall bashings. Donning industrial ear-defenders she swivelled the Saras around, put on Paranoid and wound up the volume to a hitherto unseen post-12'o'clock position. Ultimately this was unsustainable due to the anti-gravity effect on all shelf-based paraphernalia, with the snooker cues behaving like Inspector Clouseau was in town. However, on powering-down there was absolute silence from next door - mission accomplished.
They are not what I would have in my living room and I have not been captured by the Naim/Linn upgrade conveyor, but they are staying as is.

Often Bariks are/were compared to other expensive speakers with different result /taste
Never heard someone prefer JBL4410 - hence my comment, 4410 vs Bariks - they are indeed very different
but its your choice and taste in which I haven't the slightest against, however Bariks are complex speakers and relative hard and demanding getting superb results from, maybe not all bad experiences with these speakers are fair bashing, perfect they are not but in some ways they are fabulous(using your own word) indeed active driven helps

Never thought about studio use and you may have a point?(not that I like but a few "studio" speakers myself)

Sound quality aside, here's how I'd rate them out of ten in comparison:
Cabinet - finish - Linn 9, JBL 7
Cabinet - solidity and lack of cabinet talk - Linn 9, JBL 7
Crossover - Linn (stand mounted) 9 JBL 9
Quality of drive units - Linn 6.5 (love that pva'd midrange unit) JBL 9.5
Just to keep things even I'll give a dishonourable mention to the cheap and audibly resonant metal port on the JBLs, also the lousy speaker connections and tag connections internally to speakers and crossovers.
However anyone with reasonable DIY skills can address the areas where the JBLs score lower than the Bariks, and this is what I did.

Now thats just hilarious...

I can assure you there are probably fewer speakers I have not heard or owned!

However as with all things Linn, they split opinion and the real fact is that few people who have made up their mind about the older speakers have heard them operating correctly with up to date drivers, amplification etc.

I am not a "front end first" fanatic as was the case in those days. Nor do I particularly like Linn (some of the newer stuff is rather horrible) but if you have a room that works with such designs (and most females would prefer we did) then done properly a Brick, Sara, Sara 9 Kan, Keltic, Keligh etc will absolutely demolish much of the more recent speaker brigade. This from someone who has invested many many many thousands in different and far more expensive brands over the years.

At the end of the day - it depends on what works for you in your room. Given you can actually save money on going and purchasing such equipment rather than just lashing out many more thousands then it would seem a good thing in todays rather austere environment.

One thing to note - all those considering such - the chap that made the tweeter for the Brick, Sara, Kan, first Kaber etc is still doing so. A ridiculously well made and put together, respected all over silk dome tweeter in three guises and he is doing very well thank you. Not something that can be said of many of the units that ended up in many "serious" speakers. Anyone with Apogee Caliper Sigs in the loft?

However, it is one chap making them mainly for quality reasons and I have noticed over the years how much of the criticism of the aforementioned speakers is usually over models that either have damaged drivers or are using whatever Linn could knock up or get hold of, if for example he took a holiday. It is why they eventually went through all the pain of making and specifying drive units from larger companies. Often with terrible results (first ceramic tweeter anyone - yet the third or fourth version was ok - ish?) When the big numbers in sales were required, he could not keep up. So they moved on and parted ways.

Get a pair that tickle your fancy and get hold of a pair of new tweeters from the man that does them best and they suddenly they really work. It is not expensive, they are better than or equal to pretty much any current tweeter and they can be made in several flavours that fit even far newer models. I can't really name him here but any search of the Linn forum will bring this topic up.

Even on models like Keltic or Kaber...

If they work in your room - and the active ones will, then you really do deserve to hear them properly rather than listen to anyone here pulling the trapdoor up because they have an issue with slick marketing or the LP12 is much too expensive these days and anyway they stole it and no one liked it!

Oh by the way - my earth is always round and while I have owned several LP12's the Roksan and the SME were far better decks.

I use my current set up with gosh horror, an Oppo 105!

But for old times sake I have a Rotel 965BX LE Discrete...

Along with amps from LesW and Linn and Naim and Krell...

Says it all really

I got rid of my Bariks when I realised they were comprehensively outclassed by a pair of 12" Tannoy monitor gold chassis in some floorstanding home made cabs a friend gave me. We're not talking opinion here, this was outright clear superiority, unless your criteria for hi fi reproduction prioritized a flat, unreal sound, a limited soundstage, sat-on dynamics and listener fatigue. Friends who knew my system concurred, visiting civillians said how real it sounded (comments the Bariks had never attracted) as did my other half who isn't interested in hi fi but seemed to be playing more records...

When I sold them I demo'd them, but I didn't dare have the buyer listen to them in comparison with the Tannoys. I know he'd have walked away.

Now thats just hilarious...

I can assure you there are probably fewer speakers I have not heard or owned!

However as with all things Linn, they split opinion and the real fact is that few people who have made up their mind about the older speakers have heard them operating correctly with up to date drivers, amplification etc.

I am not a "front end first" fanatic as was the case in those days. Nor do I particularly like Linn (some of the newer stuff is rather horrible) but if you have a room that works with such designs (and most females would prefer we did) then done properly a Brick, Sara, Sara 9 Kan, Keltic, Keligh etc will absolutely demolish much of the more recent speaker brigade. This from someone who has invested many many many thousands in different and far more expensive brands over the years.

At the end of the day - it depends on what works for you in your room. Given you can actually save money on going and purchasing such equipment rather than just lashing out many more thousands then it would seem a good thing in todays rather austere environment.

One thing to note - all those considering such - the chap that made the tweeter for the Brick, Sara, Kan, first Kaber etc is still doing so. A ridiculously well made and put together, respected all over silk dome tweeter in three guises and he is doing very well thank you. Not something that can be said of many of the units that ended up in many "serious" speakers. Anyone with Apogee Caliper Sigs in the loft?

However, it is one chap making them mainly for quality reasons and I have noticed over the years how much of the criticism of the aforementioned speakers is usually over models that either have damaged drivers or are using whatever Linn could knock up or get hold of, if for example he took a holiday. It is why they eventually went through all the pain of making and specifying drive units from larger companies. Often with terrible results (first ceramic tweeter anyone - yet the third or fourth version was ok - ish?) When the big numbers in sales were required, he could not keep up. So they moved on and parted ways.

Get a pair that tickle your fancy and get hold of a pair of new tweeters from the man that does them best and they suddenly they really work. It is not expensive, they are better than or equal to pretty much any current tweeter and they can be made in several flavours that fit even far newer models. I can't really name him here but any search of the Linn forum will bring this topic up.

Even on models like Keltic or Kaber...

If they work in your room - and the active ones will, then you really do deserve to hear them properly rather than listen to anyone here pulling the trapdoor up because they have an issue with slick marketing or the LP12 is much too expensive these days and anyway they stole it and no one liked it!

Oh by the way - my earth is always round and while I have owned several LP12's the Roksan and the SME were far better decks.

I use my current set up with gosh horror, an Oppo 105!

But for old times sake I have a Rotel 965BX LE Discrete...

Along with amps from LesW and Linn and Naim and Krell...

Says it all really

Many thanks for an informed and informative post.

Neither of my pairs of Bariks had silk dome tweeters. It's very possible performance would have been much improved had this been the case.

The Tannoy Golds are still with me, now in 200 litre plaster lined cabinets with Decca ribbons on top and silver crossovers. I could, at any time, have my parents Bariks for the asking. I've loaned them the JBL4410 s and even though they're in their eighties and their hearing is slightly dimming, they much prefer the JBLs. They listen to some folk and a lot of classical. A shame really, because the JBLs really shine on rock.

I won't be relieving them of their Bariks though!

Your golds (done right i.e. valves) are super and as such - why would you change?

No need to get the Bricks back but the sheer number of iterations of those things and the crossovers can make you go crosseyed. The right tweeters are the first step though and you would be very surprised just what it can do - I was a sceptic all along for many many years as I was with the Keltic - yet look what I own.

No need to get them back. But do not let them be thrown away - if they are of the latter generation (80's on) then they really are worth some money and, who knows, you might just find one day...

Search for inn modifications on google - you will find all the individual modifications to equipment over the years and it makes interesting reading on the Bricks. Funny enough there are many that have revitalised by going back to the first tweeter but with the latter cabinets, sealing etc etc etc.

At the end of the day - just listen and have fun.

Its easy to get just a little too wound up - as some on here tend to...

Over the last 25 years I've owned Keilidhs, Kabers and now Keltiks, all of which have been Aktiv. I recently looked at replacing my Keltiks with ATC100ATs, Audio Physic Avanteras, B&W 802Ds and Kudos Titans. They are all great sounding speakers, and each offer a different presentation. However, none of them were convincing enough to have me reaching for my wallet.

Instead I invested in better drivers and amps for the Keltiks, and they are now rewarding me by performing far better than anything else I have heard to date, and certainly better than any of Linn's current offerings, regardless of budget.

Keltiks are a PITA to set up correctly, and need to be partnered with the hard to find Klimax Crossovers and good amps, but if you then like what they do they are extremely difficult to surpass.

All IMHO.

Over the last 25 years I've owned Keilidhs, Kabers and now Keltiks, all of which have been Aktiv. I recently looked at replacing my Keltiks with ATC100ATs, Audio Physic Avanteras, B&W 802Ds and Kudos Titans. They are all great sounding speakers, and each offer a different presentation. However, none of them were convincing enough to have me reaching for my wallet.

Instead I invested in better drivers and amps for the Keltiks, and they are now rewarding me by performing far better than anything else I have heard to date, and certainly better than any of Linn's current offerings, regardless of budget.

Keltiks are a PITA to set up correctly, and need to be partnered with the hard to find Klimax Crossovers and good amps, but if you then like what they do they are extremely difficult to surpass.

All IMHO.

Agreed!

The only driver changes I have are to the tweeters, I have 038 (ninka) tweeters, I have klimax crossovers and amps.

advertisement

Back