pfm Member
Current range Majik
Isobarik lives forever ?
Ninka's - 140
Katan - 109
active - passive
ported or ?
many choices

Kans/Saras/Briks are very good, so are Naim SBLs, they share some things and play music. ;)

I've used Kans, Saras or Isobariks for over twenty years. I've heard a lot of other stuff in that time but nothing that's made me want to change.

I stopped listening to Linn's newer speakers around the time of the Keltic, Nexus etc as I thought they were rubbish. Earlier Linn speakers were brilliant at some things and poor at others. Later Linn speakers were just ok at everything, pretty bland.

I don't know what Linn's current speakers are like.

Kans ,Saras and Briks are Ok and that about as far as I would say about them. Speakers need to be listened to by the intended buyer and thats all I will say on the subject

I have heard the klimaxes and akurates and various others of the modern range. Like many speakers that are readily available in the uk they are (imo) just 'ok'. You can do much much better elsewhere, especially if you are looking for a sound which transcends hifi ... e.g. ATC, Avalon, Zu, Vanderstein, Revel, Wilson, Magico, green mountain audio, SF, living voice.

I have to completely agree on the Nexus as well. I think it was Grahams where I first had the pleasure. Probably the most revolting loudspeaker I have ever experienced.

I have to completely agree on the Nexus as well. I think it was Grahams where I first had the pleasure. Probably the most revolting loudspeaker I have ever experienced.
The Nexus is proof (for me) that source first is not the end-all and be-all for TT-based systems. Not even an LP12/Ittok and Naim amps could save it from its insipid mediocrity.

You'll find that on this particular forum my opinion is in a minority but..... I find Kans ,Saras and Briks to be so awful I would not even call them Hi Fi... I genuinely can't think of anything I would less like to own. YMMV... and for many on here it obviously does!
My fave's are all of the BBC monitor, Quad ELS, Spendor type of breed so there ya go...

You'll find that on this particular forum my opinion is in a minority but..... I find Kans ,Saras and Briks to be so awful I would not even call them Hi Fi... I genuinely can't think of anything I would less like to own. YMMV... and for many on here it obviously does!
No, I don't like Kans or Saras either. I can tolerate 'Briks from a distance.

Kans/Saras/Briks are very good, so are Naim SBLs, they share some things and play music. ;)

A friend had Saras in the 90s. Compared to the Mission Freedoms they replaced, which I liked very much, they had poor imaging and were as coloured as a Matisse. A roomful of nimble vivacity more than made up for the hi-fi shortcomings. I loved them!

My only, and brief, encounter with poorly set up Kans over 20 years ago left a positive impression as well.

I had active Isobariks for the best part of 25 years. I replaced them with Klimax 350As last year.

The 350as are better right across the frequecy range, IMHO. I am less aware that I am listening to a hi fi with them.

Chris

advertisement

Back