advertisement

Linn Speakers, are they any good ?

I disagree about Nexus, I had lots of fun listening to them through the early 90's on the end of a Naim 62,140. I used them again earlier this year when I swapped from Spendor SA1's to WB arcs and I still enjoyed them.
And after advertising here earlier in the year I still have the pair to sell! This and the lack of resale value clearly means my views are in the minority😌

Modern Linn speakers are very dull, never heard them sounding good. Older Linn speakers (Briks, Saras, and, especially, Kans) are coloured in a way which sends me racing for the nearest exit. Horrible things, if you ask me.

Modern Linn speakers are very dull, never heard them sounding good. Older Linn speakers (Briks, Saras, and, especially, Kans) are coloured in a way which sends me racing for the nearest exit. Horrible things, if you ask me.

No argument. That is an entirely subjective assessment and therefore entirely valid for the person making the assessment.

Your "dull" is my uncoloured & accurate, an equally subjective & valid assessment.

Chris

I'm not sure Linn (or Naim, for that matter) have ever been in the business of even attempting to make uncoloured or accurate speakers, tbh. Not that I care either way, I just don't like them regardless.

+1 I once was working in a hi fi shop doing the repairs for them. The workshop was down a flight of stairs in the basement. I was used to hearing all sorts of music drifting down from the demo room..... One day an awful sound was heard from the demo room upstairs.... I had to assume that a customer had brought a ghetto blaster or a poor music centre in to be checked and they were quickly putting it through it's paces... The owner of the shop came down for a cuppa and a chin wag and I asked him "what the hell is making that noise?" .... he grinned and told me that they'd just got a pair of Isobariks in on a part ex!

I had a pair of the original Indexes. They had KEF drivers apparently. I always thought them ok but bass light. They worked fine in the last house, solid floor and carpet but really awful in the current house which has a suspended floor and no carpet.

I had a pair of the original Indexes. They had KEF drivers apparently. I always thought them ok but bass light. They worked fine in the last house, solid floor and carpet but really awful in the current house which has a suspended floor and no carpet.

So often the way with speakers.

I heard some 350s a while ago and quite liked them. As an old isobarik user I have a soft spot for them, but I am intrigued to hear the kudos Titans as well when I plan to go back to a full range speaker.

I auditioned PMC Fact 8, B+W 804, Klimax 320 and Akurate 242. I went for the 242s. They are pretty dull but look nice. Hard to describe any sonic character, but that's no bad thing. They are never tiring.

Klimax 320A's are one of the best speakers I've ever heard in a shop demo. For the price they should be too. Kans are nice too in a right system.

I still have early Mark 1 Kans (in the cupboard - Currently use Totem Mani-2's)
I have heard Kabers sound very very good.
Sara's like Kans can be anything from dire to great.
Briks - Well the classic - love em.
Keilidh - I would stay away from - soft and woolly, not as bad as Nexus but trying hard.
Not too fond of the Index or Helix either....

just my 2c from across the pond

I tried some PMC FB1 last year and they are very good. Previously I had the Rega R5 which were quite good but the Harbeth SHL5 are in a different league.

From personal experience, I would recommend Kabers, Tukans, and Keilidhs (in that order). Keilidh may have their flaws (recessed mid range, for instance), but they are versatile and fun, IMO. Kabers and Tukans are very good speakers by any account, as far as I am concerned. Right now listening to a late pair of Kans (version V), but I haven't had much time with them yet, so too early for any verdict.

Thom

My biggest hi fi mistake - 350A's with Kisto! Bought both ex dem. with a forgotten insurance policy! Maybe my expectations were too high.

Steve.

So there you have it, consensus as usual! ;0)

Look, you can't ask a question like are 'Linn speakers good'. It's like asking 'is food nice'. It can be but people like different things and food varies a lot.

I think the mistake you've made is in assuming that Linn have always had some kind of deep design ethos that underpins their speakers and results in a family sound. It's not really like that. I doubt if Ivor Tiefenbrun even knows how to design a loudspeaker. Actually, I don't know if he knows how to design a turntable but I digress, the point is that Linn just employ a guy who knows how to design speakers. He'll get told to build a speaker that costs 'X' that we can sell for 'Y' and we want to sell 'Z' many of the things.

Over the years they have had different people with very different design philosophies so their speakers have been very different. Linn don't want them to sound a certain way, they just want them to sell!

So what are you left with? A rather mixed bag. The current Linn speakers I can't comment on at all but the ones I've heard fall broadly into two camps. You've got the coloured but exiting ones. Very musically candid and involving. I like these guys because, while colouration is not desirable, in my experience you get used to it. You notice it a lot at firsts but you soon acclimatise and it becomes a non-issue.

The other speakers are less coloured but also more boring. Unfortunately, you don't get used to that. No amount of listening to a boring stereo will make it fun and exiting.

So if you want funky music you could do worse than Linn's old classics. But if you want something more neutral and laid back, maybe a later Linn speaker will do. Even there you've got a problem as other brands do clear and neutral better than Linn. Kans however, well, it's hard to out-kan a Kan! ;0)

nice post mr pig.

the only thing i would add is that in the old days linn were less interested in the bottom line and more interested in making products that worked.

the move from the isobarik to the keltik was indicative of the decline of linn speakers. fundamentally they were cheaper and easier to make but were sadly flawed because of it.

The modern satellite speaker module with its poor quality push connector fitting is further proof that linn are now prepared to compromise quality for speed/price.

and dont get me started on the majik isobarik!

David

Please do, I have never heard it, and have no opportunity to do so.
Was curious if they had finally gotten their poop in a group?

Thank-you

No time for Briks - over rated. Saras coloured but definitely fun (need plenty of grunt). Kabers and Keilidhs sounded - just bland to me. Not heard anything more recent. My faves through rose tinted spectacles and memories of 20+ years ago are Tukans. I heard them at a Linn Park Lane show many moons ago sounding absolutely fabulous through a decent all Linn system.

I don't know how you can like Saras but not Briks, they're pretty similar. I agree on the Tukans, they're nice little speakers, but better than Briks and Saras? Come on.

advertisement

Back