advertisement

Linn lp12 power supply

Anyone used the origin Live Ultra with DC200 motor ? Any good ? I´ve been offered one for 500 quid ?

I had the middle one . I did not like it . It was not pitch stable and it flucutated . It is overpriced massively .The motor is fine but it is/was a maxon motor.

There are many people in the archive of this forum bemoaning its effectiveness as a speed controller and its price . I personally would now not have one given me .

As to be expected others will disagree .

If you wanted to do some DIY ,

I would buy this Motor . I did .
RE-max 29 Ø29 mm, Precious Metal Brushes CLL, 9 Watt, with terminals
Part-No.: 226774
Outer diameter: 29 mm
Type power: 9 W
Supply voltage: 24 V
No load speed: 4810 min-1
Nominal torque (max. continuous torque): 26.7 mNm
CHF 146.80 [ this price is swiss francs , it is between 90-100 quid plus vat and delievery .

I believe this to be same one used in the radikal . Linn definitely use a maxon motor and this according to maxon customer service is the best/most suitable one they do for turntables .

you then will have £400 for a motor controller . There are many . Maxon do one . I use a bench power supply it cost £70 [ this is on a modified pt anniversary ]

Some people poo poo such none hif linear regulated supplies because they do not have electronic calibration of speed . I set the speed once a month via strobe , laser chronograph and have had no problems . Of course I may not have golden ears . [ the ultra as far as i am aware as no calibration either but i am not 100% sure ]

they also claim dc motors fluctuate with time , with temperature and with load . I have not found this at all with the maxon motor but did find it with origin live fluctuated all the bloody time .

To be fair to origin live .

mine was an early model , they may have been updated i do not know

my experience is just my experience , its validity for generalization is questionable .

mine was not the ultra .

the price is still indefensible .

About five months ago I put a S/H Lingo 1 on my LP12, which still has its original motor (1981 vintage). £400 quid for the Lingo from fleabay, half an hour to fit it. The improvement in SQ is astonishing.

This may also carry some problems but the Greenstreet guys also have one for not too much cake, I believe.

Hmm... Just looked at the Greenstreet website and see what they actually make is a clone of the Naim Armageddon - oddly they fail to mention that it will therefore only play 33.3rpm and not 45 (unless the push on pulley speed adaptor is used - which they don't sell).

They also state that Valhalla boards can't be repaired but I can think of a number of people/companies who will do exactly that.

Oh, you can fit a Valhalla or Mose without draining the bearing or inverting the deck, it's just a bit more awkward (but neither are very tricky to fit).

A friend used an Origin Live motor and controller for a brief period, he was not impressed.

Linn actually use a brushed DC motor not a brushless one.

Just found an isokinetik isodrive 2 on this website http://www.isokinetik.co.uk. From what I've read they seem to be repackaged heed orbit 2 but for cheaper! Also if I did go for a used lingo,what would it cost to get it serviced so I would get many more years out of it? Whatever one I get it would need fitting, the only place I know of is audio t brighton who serviced it earlier this year & done a cracking job! Anywhere else in East Sussex/Eastbourne area?

Just found an isokinetik isodrive 2 on this website http://www.isokinetik.co.uk. From what I've read they seem to be repackaged heed orbit 2 but for cheaper! Also if I did go for a used lingo,what would it cost to get it serviced so I would get many more years out of it? Whatever one I get it would need fitting, the only place I know of is audio t brighton who serviced it earlier this year & done a cracking job! Anywhere else in East Sussex/Eastbourne area?

It looks very similar case and blurb wise to the Orbit 2. One thing I would be careful of is that it does not say how the box connects to the TT, plug/cablewise. If you can confirm that requires nothing other than the Heed does and you want to save the £50 go for it.

ATM

It makes good sense to get a Lingo 1 serviced of you plan on keeping it for the long haul. Mine was 23 years old and still going strong but decided to have it recapped while on vacation. I was concerned the caps were getting old and didn't want them failing and leaking all over the circuit board. Didn't cost me much to have all the capacitors replaced and now I have piece of mind that I should get another good twenty years out of it.

Here's a link that indicates a person Darran who does Lingo recaps in the UK, I've heard nothing but good things about him and several Linn dealers use his services. As the Greenstreet link mentioned, Linn no longer services old Lingos.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93821

The Darran you refer to is presumably Darren* of Class A that operates from Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield's city centre; he is also an authorised Naim service agent (can also fix Valhallas).

http://www.hifi-repairs.com

He quotes £95 for a Lingo 1 service (including the cost of shipping) - some claim this has brought great improvements.

* no, sorry, you are right, his name is Darran with an a!

I'm interested in finding an alternative power supply for my Linn. I used to have a Lingo mk1 but had to switch it off when listening to CDs as it did the overall system no favours. I experimented with a home made Armageddon clone and it sounded so much better I sold my Lingo. My home made Armageddon has two problems - transformer him which is now a problem as the turntable and PSU now sit very close the the listening position. Also getting a bit lazy and swapping pulleys and belts for 45s is a chore. Looking for something better than 'geddon or lingo but not sure what is out there... Many seem to have come and gone...

The Lingo 1 has been reported to have a "detrimental effect" with naim electronics. I have read that replacing the filtered mains socket with a non filtered one helps.

The Lingo 1 has been reported to have a "detrimental effect" with naim electronics. I have read that replacing the filtered mains socket with a non filtered one helps.

I'm pretty sure Darran can remove the main's filter as part of his service.

It looks very similar case and blurb wise to the Orbit 2. One thing I would be careful of is that it does not say how the box connects to the TT, plug/cablewise. If you can confirm that requires nothing other than the Heed does and you want to save the £50 go for it.

ATM

Have you done or decided anything yet?

advertisement

Back