advertisement

Linn Lp12 Majik why such a crap tonearm

A friend of mine described the LP12 as ‘a series of design errors that largely cancel one another out’. I rather liked that as I suspect there is a truth to it and I certainly view my favourite era of LP12 (the early ones with that warm and bouncy character) as having some real issues that mean they are anything but a universal solution. They are a tuned system that suit some arms and carts far better than others.
Or as I have always thought 'a design that works in spite of its engineering'.

Yes, they are easily available, e.g. here.
They are simple O rings as used everywhere. I have a box of various sizes that I use for all such needs, I think that they came from a car spares shop for loose change. Alternatively the sme ones are known to be the right size.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are simple O rings as used everywhere. I have a box of various sizes that I use for all such needs, I think that they came from a car spares shop for loose change. Alternatively the sme ones are known to be the right size.

They are actually grommets as they have a groove around the outside to fit them into the arm base. There is very little margin for error size-wise (they are a tight fit) so I’d recommend using the right ones.

My favourite Linn is the Valhalla Ittok combo from the 80s.I think this is the sweet spot of the design limits of this deck.The more recent top end Linns seem to try and overcome these limits and lose the LP12s fundamental nature and fun factor.Just my opinion of course.

My favourite Linn is the Valhalla Ittok combo from the 80s.I think this is the sweet spot of the design limits of this deck.The more recent top end Linns seem to try and overcome these limits and lose the LP12s fundamental nature and fun factor.Just my opinion of course.

I agree. I’d actually be tempted to go back even further to a red button deck with a Grace 707! If I ever revisited one myself that is the era I’d head for. For me the whole point of owning an LP12 is that rather rose-tinted warm, bouncy and obviously vinyl sound. They are just fun! If I wanted cleaner, tighter, leaner, more analytical etc I’d just buy another deck entirely.

I like the Project 9cc- I’m onto my second one, bought in preference to getting a knackered old Linn arm for my current 1983 LP12. The first I had came with a new LP12Majik and I replaced it with an Ekos 2 before selling the deck. I came to the conclusion that deck wasn’t worth the investment ( Hercules 11, Ekos2, AT33R) for the SQ it produced- next to an Orbe SME V, it was utterly hopeless. The old pre-cirkus LP12 I have now, with Hercules Mose, the 9cc, AT33ptg is just right. I’m really enjoying it rather than trying to make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear by throwing large sums of money at it.

My favourite Linn is the Valhalla Ittok combo from the 80s.I think this is the sweet spot

It’s stuff like this especially when backed by a nice agreement post that perpetuates these strange myths.

There is no area that a modern lp12 isn’t better than an old 70’s deck.

The idea that a pre cirkus bearing is in some way more musical than later revisions is just plain wrong.

You hear these ‘forum opinions’ coming out of people’s mouths and scratch your head wondering whether they have actually heard the differences they are espousing.

I have never once demonstrated the cirkus bearing and heard the owner of the deck not totally blown away by how much better it sounds.

This sums it up for me. Unfortunately I spent a lot of money over more than 30 years trying to turn the frog into a prince. Five lp12s later, I’ve learned the lesson.

I have never once demonstrated the cirkus bearing and heard the owner of the deck not totally blown away by how much better it sounds.

I had both and rebuilt my deck several times to switch between them. I really liked aspects of each, the earlier one is warmer and has that classic vintage Linn sound, the Cirkus leaner, cleaner and more dynamic. I eventually stuck with the Cirkus, but it was anything but a slam-dunk. To my ears every Linn ‘upgrade’ seems to move a system more towards a lean, fast and forward sound. You have to grasp that many of us, especially jazz and classical listeners, just don’t like that!

I actually prefer the sound of the pre-cirkus bearing which is why I went back to an early 80s deck from a 2011 iteration. I’d describe my current LP12 as a charming jumble of compromises that works surprisingly well at ‘reproducing’ music. This ones going to see me out. If they’d come out with the kore 30 years ago, they’re have saved everyone a lot trouble!

I agree. I’d actually be tempted to go back even further to a red button deck with a Grace 707! If I ever revisited one myself that is the era I’d head for. For me the whole point of owning an LP12 is that rather rose-tinted warm, bouncy and obviously vinyl sound. They are just fun! If I wanted cleaner, tighter, leaner, more analytical etc I’d just buy another deck entirely.

I never really went past this point. Still have my red button LP12 G707 and AT-OC7. I did buy an OL250 and it sounded dull as ditchwater on the LP12, soon went back to the Grace. The key to getting the Grace to sound good is to have prefectly adjusted bearings.
I recently compared my LP12 to a much later Ittok, Lingoed LP12, not much in it to be honest.

I have a Geddoned LP12 Cirkus etc, sold the EKOS II as I didn't like it, playing with an early tungsten RB300 arm atm, but may look at alternatives, didn't much like the Aro either!!

Yes, they are easily available, e.g. here.
Thanks for the link; looks like a good source.

I shall have a fondle of the end stub coupling rubbers too, as they may have deteriorated after all of these years.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’d buy a set of the end stub decoupling grommets even if you don’t fit them right now just to make sure you have them if needed. I’ve done one of my 3009s though the one actually on my 124 seems fine for now, but I have a set ready in its box should it fail or start to feel flimsy.

Last time I heard the Linn Majik turntable I thought it was rather good - certainly good value for the price they originally set (about £2000).
The 9cc arm is OK (the Evolution is a lot better).
The real question to ask is why is it more expensive to build a new LP12 with all the required parts?

PS I use a Rega...

spoil it with the cheapest tonearm they could find from a very substandard budget manufacturer

Rubbish.

Pro-ject-Xtension-10-turntable-olive.jpg

The real question to ask is why is it more expensive to build a new LP12 with all the required parts?
Because it always is more expensive to buy the parts. Same with bikes, cars, everything. A Ford fiesta is about £20k worth if you buy new spares, and then you have to assemble it!

advertisement

Back