advertisement

Linn Lp12 Majik why such a crap tonearm

MANDY

pfm Member
Anyone else wonder why ?
Linn supply their lowest spec full lp12 with such a poor tonearm\
A project tonearm is only good for one thing the bin absolute crap .
I wouldn't buy anything made by project. certainly not in the same league as Linn

its not crap its a valid point , why sell a decent quality turntable by a highly regarded manufacture
and spoil it with the cheapest tonearm they could find from a very substandard budget manufacturer .

If they put a cheap Rega on it (which is probably better regarded) the decks getting locked into Rega geometry = not a straight upgrade path.

Linn fit, it just needs a better arm, and power supply, and chassis...

Can't think of any other cheap/currently built Linn geometry arm?

Yes I agree a Rega would be much better for the money I don't know why Linn choose Project that was my point
as for the £600-£700 of the budget you can get substantially better arm .
I agree linn basic tonearms and old Akito's were equally poor compared to Rega .

Wholesale prices of budget arms are frighteningly low, you know. Very very very far from the £600-£700 you quote.

And yes, I am talking about renowned arms, made in the UK. Not about obscure or commodity level Far East stuff.

Pro-Ject has grown to a giant, with manufacturing capabilities and efficiency no-one here can match. Pro-Ject arms
always have had Linn geometry. So why would Linn then go shopping elsewhere? Is there any 'elsewhere', actually?

I wish people would stop giving Linn credit for a tonearm geometry that was the work of Peter Pritchard (RIP) of Audio Dynamics Corporation (aka ADC, formerly of New Milford, CT).

Hi,

Never understood why anyone would buy a Majik LP12 with arm and cartridge at around £3000.

For that money a very very good second hand "real" LP12 with Ittok and say a DV20/ or other make cartridge could be purchased which would better the Majik, and then you would have a real LP12.

Cheers

John

Trouble is finding a used LP12 with an Ittok that hasn't been done up 'Linn tight' (plus 1Nm) one too many times.

I wish people would stop giving Linn credit for a tonearm geometry that was the work of Peter Pritchard (RIP) of Audio Dynamics Corporation (aka ADC, formerly of New Milford, CT).

Indeed. Anyone wanting to play ‘Spot the Linn Basik LVV’ here’s a picture of the entry-level ADC 1500FG turntable (VinylEngine). It was rebadged as a cheap BSR deck in the UK!

PS Here’s some grainy YouTube footage:

Yes, when Peter Pritchard sold ADC off to BSR in the late '70s, it was inevitable that the former's products would be dragged down.

What many likely don't know is that Pritchard is credited by General Electric as the inventor of high compliance induced magnet phono cartridges (what GE marketed as 'variable reluctance' in the late 1950s, with a patent for same filed May 2, 1960 that acknowledges Peter Ernest Pritchard as inventor). The ADC-1 cartridge was a game changer that allowed for flawless tracking ability at .75g VTF!

Even lesser known is that Peter also invented the modern low mass, low inertia tonearm in order to provide an ideal carrier for his own cartridge. His Model 40 (originally sold as The Pritchard Pickup System complete with ADC-1) featured a 4-point gimbal ball bearing, thread and weight anti-skating mechanism, tapered cross-cut hardwood main beam, and removable plug-in headshell; all available on the market just in time to perfectly track Miles Davis' then just released 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.

From Audio, December 1961:
PDRM1990a.jpg

The Rega tonearm is brilliant in many ways but is unfortunately flat as a fart in terms of tunedem.

The old lvv and lvx are loose bearinged crocks but are fundamentally tuneful.

As for a new majik lp12 being bettered by an old deck with an ittok, I doubt it very much.
The latest sub chassis and arm board, coupled to the latest bearing, give advantage that no arm, however good, is going to make up for.

Linn credit the Majik LP12 tonearm as being a Pro-Ject 9cc. Project used to list the 9cc as their top tonearm. They (Pro-Ject) have since offered longer versions of same, and more recently 'Evolution' variants which appear to have little more than a chunkier Kuzma Stogi Mk1 like lateral bearing yoke and ridiculously thick mounting collar added to distinguish them.

If Linn were still selling hundreds of LP12s per month, I imagine they could negotiate a good price from the likes of Jelco. However, since Jelco began expanded their lineup and selling via their distributor's dealer networks they've been able to charge a lot more for what they once exclusively offered as bulk discounted OEMs. These days, even the cost of shipping from Eastern Europe vs. from Japan is likely to influence choice of supplier.

As to the the question of 'worst make in the world', I'd opine that Hanpin Electron have that market cornered.

Last edited:
I think PP was also the designer of the first cartridge I owned that had pretensions to high-end performance-the Sonus Blue which was around 50 UKP back in 1978 at the time when the Shure M75EII and the ADC VLM were maybe 15UKP. It was a really nice match in the Hadcock 228 I had, but when I swapped it out for a borrowed ADC XLM, I wondered what the fuss was all about...the ADC was leagues ahead.

Yes, when Peter Pritchard sold ADC off to BSR in the late '70s, it was inevitable that the former's products would be dragged down.

What many likely don't know is that Pritchard is credited by General Electric as the inventor of high compliance induced magnet phono cartridges (what GE marketed as 'variable reluctance' in the late 1950s, with a patent for same filed May 2, 1960 that acknowledges Peter Ernest Pritchard as inventor). The ADC-1 cartridge was a game changer that allowed for flawless tracking ability at .75g VTF!

Even lesser known is that Peter also invented the modern low mass, low inertia tonearm in order to provide an ideal carrier for his own cartridge. His Model 40 (originally sold as The Pritchard Pickup System complete with ADC-1) featured a 4-point gimbal ball bearing, thread and weight anti-skating mechanism, tapered cross-cut hardwood main beam, and removable plug-in headshell; all available on the market just in time to perfectly track Miles Davis' then just released 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.

Not the worst make just the worst make out of all relatively known turntable manufactures .
going to a Rewired Rega would only take a different armboard and would at least be usable until
you can purchase a high spec linn tonearm. I know a few people who love LP12 and wanted a new turntable
at an affordable price but needed a full setup , the majik was out the window every time due to the tonearm.
and the dealers they went to didn't want to supply one with a rega arm , so they purchased different turntables.
It just seems short sighted of Linn to team up with a manufacturer below them on the hifi hierarchy scale thats all .
anyway if your unlucky enough to have a project arm try and enjoy it whilst you save up for a proper tonearm .

Linn market their entire range on ability to play tunes, fitting a tuneless arm to their entry level deck would seriously undermine their ability to sell up.

Linn market their entire range on ability to play tunes, fitting a tuneless arm to their entry level deck would seriously undermine their ability to sell up.

I’ve no idea where you get the idea the Rega arms can’t hold a tune from! There was a point in the 80s where they weren’t recommended on a Linn as they stuck too much energy into the flimsy subchassis, plus the rear plinth brace of some Linns can get in the way, but I think that has largely been addressed now. One reason I went for a Xerxes (other than 45rpm) was the RB300 was in a totally different league to the budget LVX or Basik Plus, so the combo was at a higher performance level for the same price. The Xerxes turned out not to be a reliable deck, but that is another story.

Yes I agree a Rega would be much better for the money I don't know why Linn choose Project that was my point
as for the £600-£700 of the budget you can get substantially better arm .
I agree linn basic tonearms and old Akito's were equally poor compared to Rega .

They probably choose Project due to a good agreement contract on price etc
Otherwise they would have created a China made arm themself

Such item need to help provide substancial profit, hence acquisition cost no more than £100-150 (rough guess)

Linn will never offer their decks with any Rega based arm no matter how cheap

advertisement

Back