advertisement

Linn Lingo 4

David, how much of a difference remains between the Lingo 4 and the Radikal? My next step is one or the other, but if they are close I may simply opt for the Lingo 4 which will give me a head start on the phono stage...

Same reason I am asking the question. Been saving for a Radikal but Lingo 4 may be a better option.

The radikal is definitely still a big step up but there is a larger difference between a lingo 3 and four than there is between a lingo 1 and 3 n

Wow! I was happy with the upgrade from 1 to 2! Maybe a secondhand 3 is the way to go....

Is the 3 much of an improvement on the 2?

I spent a pleasant evening at The Sound Organisation (York) and two reps from Linn yesterday evening when the new Lingo 4 and Urika II were demoed. – thanks guys and to all who attended.

My initial impressions after listening to comparative Linn “tune dem” is that Linn has made some pleasing strides forward:

Lingo 4:

This is just not a Lingo 3+ but a complete new design. I was mighty impressed on hearing it and straight away the improvement over the Lingo 3 was apparent with more smoothness and, dare I say it, ‘music’. It reminded me of when I first heard the Radikal compared to my, then, Lingo 2.

I am an Radikal owner but the Lingo 4 must come mighty close to it so I expect Linn has a real success on their hands here with the Lingo 4.

If I were still a Lingo user I would have bought one there and then!

One interesting, if somewhat surprising, comment was that the Lingo 3’s ‘crystal oscillator’ (or something similar??) drifts off ‘ideal’ spec after about 15 minutes of playing – I hasten to add that Linn has fixed any such issues with the Lingo 4. I am sure someone from Linn will correct me on this if I misunderstood.

Regards,

Richard

Yes, Khan top plate is compatible with Lingo 4 and the sensor mount is the same as the one we use for the Radikal installation. However the original bottom brace, like the original Linn ones, is not compatible. We have just updated our bottom brace so that it is compatible and this is being supplied with all new Khans, and is also available as a separate item for original Khan users if going to a Lingo 4.

Well, got a Lingo 1, and this may be an upgrade temptation, as never proposed going to Akurate level with the Keel/Ecos Se/DC power supply thing etc., anyway, but, I believe the Lingo 4 will cost around £1500, and I can’t say I’m unhappy with what I’ve got, but an audition will doubtless convince me that it sounds better! Wonder what trade in I would be offered for my ‘one’?
Damn you Linn, you’ll be getting more money out of me!
No, I’ll get the new Rega turntable instead!
No, garbage in garbage out, garbage in garbage out,
Oh go on then, I’ll Have one

Garbage in, garbage out - how true! The problem is there‘s so much stuff that is so badly engineered that the better the equipment is the worse it will sound. I loved Adele‘s music when I first heard it on my modest kitchen system but it sounds pretty grim on my expensive hifi set-up. Obviously this is not always the case but it makes me very wary of further upgrades that will actually downgrade the listening pleasure.

The radikal is definitely still a big step up but there is a larger difference between a lingo 3 and four than there is between a lingo 1 and 3.

The lingo 4 doesnt come with a psu for a urika and its mounting precludes the use of such.

its fantastic value for money but I certainly couldnt go back having owned a radikal.

Obviously its time for you to have a listen

Hi David. Given this quote, is the Lingo 3 not much of an improvement on the Lingo 2? I thought the jump from 1 to 2 was pretty significant. A new Lingo 4 is out of my reach.....

Maybe the price for price comparison is a new Lingo 4 vs a secondhand Radikal. Can the original Radikal still be repaired/supported by Linn (I would hope so as it isn't that old)? I'd be interested to hear from those who have heard both (I know David E prefers the Radikal)

By way of update I have gone for the Radikal. Derek and Mark popped over on Wednesday and installed the Radikal. I knew that if I had plumped for the Lingo 4 Iwould have always wondered “what if”. Anyhow, what can I say? Stupendous. I really did not think the power supply could be so effective, and yet, I am hearing more across the board, whatever I play I am hearing more or should I say a greater clarity and delineation of instruments and voices. Money well spent.

Next stop. The phono stage. Derek has made a very interesting suggestion which I shall follow up in due course.

I went from Lingo 1 to Radikal then built a Geddon clone and sold the Radikal. I'm sure I have cloth ears but I prefer it. / Shrugs

By way of update I have gone for the Radikal. Derek and Mark popped over on Wednesday and installed the Radikal. I knew that if I had plumped for the Lingo 4 Iwould have always wondered “what if”. Anyhow, what can I say? Stupendous. I really did not think the power supply could be so effective, and yet, I am hearing more across the board, whatever I play I am hearing more or should I say a greater clarity and delineation of instruments and voices. Money well spent.

Next stop. The phono stage. Derek has made a very interesting suggestion which I shall follow up in due course.
The Radikal is super!
It’s a considered upgrade, not immediately impressive but after playing a few records you realise you are hearing things that you didn’t hear before, especially the tiny details that give rise to depth and soundstage.

I went from L1 to L2 as was genuinely astonished at how much better the latter is. Instantly, unequivocally. My next but one upgrade will be to get the L4, with my L2 being a useful contribution to £.
Next change will be either a new cartridge or get my Akiva rebuilt, if Goldring will do that now its no longer a current Linn cart.

HNY all
I've just found out I can get my Akiva rebuilt fit about £350.
To me that's a no brained, especially as I'm expecting a tax refund soon...
Effectively a new Akiva, then L4...
Nice.

Word of warning, well really just me having a moan. i just swapped out an L1 of 28 years for the L4. Sounds better yes, but I cannot abide by the new button logic, you have to press/hold for like 5 secs just to turn the bloody thing off! MUCH preferred the L1 in this respect.

advertisement

Back