advertisement

Linn Lingo 4

There’s an ongoing thread on the Linn forum with more info than you will find here.

That's going to be pages and pages of them politely arguing about which shelf it sounds best on. I'm not joking.

It doesn't work with some third party support braces ie, if you use a Khan top plate and brace.

This is true. The newer Linn brace has tapped holes (or possibly some form of fixed nut) so the new Lingo screws into these. A lot of third party braces simply have holes.

Mick

There is a Linn evening at The Sound Org (York) next Tuesday evening demoing the new Lingo IV and Urika II.

I'd be interested to hear about the comparison. I have a Lingo 2 and was pleasantly surprised at the level of improvement over the Lingo 1 . I've never seen or heard a v3 - are they much better than the Lingo2? Maybe some 3s will come on the market soon :)

The new Lingo is a very interesting proposition and fundamentally different to any other design Linn have done to date.

Well, got a Lingo 1, and this may be an upgrade temptation, as never proposed going to Akurate level with the Keel/Ecos Se/DC power supply thing etc., anyway, but, I believe the Lingo 4 will cost around £1500, and I can’t say I’m unhappy with what I’ve got, but an audition will doubtless convince me that it sounds better! Wonder what trade in I would be offered for my ‘one’?
Damn you Linn, you’ll be getting more money out of me!
No, I’ll get the new Rega turntable instead!
No, garbage in garbage out, garbage in garbage out,
Oh go on then, I’ll Have one

Well, got a Lingo 1, and this may be an upgrade temptation, as never proposed going to Akurate level with the Keel/Ecos Se/DC power supply thing etc., anyway, but, I believe the Lingo 4 will cost around £1500, and I can’t say I’m unhappy with what I’ve got, but an audition will doubtless convince me that it sounds better! Wonder what trade in I would be offered for my ‘one’?
Damn you Linn, you’ll be getting more money out of me!
No, I’ll get the new Rega turntable instead!
No, garbage in garbage out, garbage in garbage out,
Oh go on then, I’ll Have one

Another option could be a Lingo 2/3, I suspect there will be a few coming available, it's very easy to A/B demo them as they used the same PCB and lead in the deck and are fully compatible, I had the opportunity to try a Lingo 2 when the Radikal was released, the Lingo 2 is still with me!

It will tricky to A/B demo because the Lingo 4 uses completely different architecture but I've little doubt it will be a genuine improvement.

A third option would be to stick with the Lingo 1, they do still sound pretty good!

This is true. The newer Linn brace has tapped holes (or possibly some form of fixed nut) so the new Lingo screws into these. A lot of third party braces simply have holes.

Mick

The motor fits the Khan top plate in the normal way so no mod is necessary. I have a Lingo 4 here to produce an installation pack to allow easy installation of the pcb to our cross brace which should be quite simple, and this should also be OK to use with owners of the original Linn cross brace as well as these are also incompatible with the new pcb threaded studs.

Lingo 4 certainly outclasses the older designs. I hadnt realised that they had incorporated the timing sensor technology.

radikal is still the king however.

What do you base that assumption on - cost, what you’ve been told or that you’ve got one....

I have an Akurate Radikal, and owned a Lingo 3.

The Radikal is better than Lingo 3, but I believe that the price premium (more than 2,000 €) can’t be totally justified, the Lingo has a better VfM.

If the Lingo 4 is really better than its previous version, that price premium of the Radikal could be even less justifiable. The Lingo 4 case is odd though.

I’m waiting for comparisons.

M.

Last edited:
I'm basing it on having heard a lingo 4 and owning a radikal.

David, how much of a difference remains between the Lingo 4 and the Radikal? My next step is one or the other, but if they are close I may simply opt for the Lingo 4 which will give me a head start on the phono stage...

The radikal is definitely still a big step up but there is a larger difference between a lingo 3 and four than there is between a lingo 1 and 3.

The lingo 4 doesnt come with a psu for a urika and its mounting precludes the use of such.

its fantastic value for money but I certainly couldnt go back having owned a radikal.

Obviously its time for you to have a listen

Lingo 4 certainly outclasses the older designs. I hadnt realised that they had incorporated the timing sensor technology.

radikal is still the king however.

Hi David, the motor is now 12 volt rated and using a speed sensor enables the use of a standard crown pulley as the electronics control the speed. This means that Linn have been able to dispense with the tilting motor mechanism previously used to adjust platter speed. Consequently they have fitted a beefed up motor mounting plate which incorporates damping and should reduce vibration etc. Seems like a much more effective solution but haven't heard it running yet. Should also mean that dealer set ups are more consistent etc.

I was wondering if this development was based around a legislative requirement in some markets, certainly I like the installation but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Will be interesting to compare it against the new Mober DC which is very close to the Radikal in terms of character.

Apparently when developing the radikal the reduction in induced voltage from the original AC setup was one of the biggest performance gains.

Using the 12V ac motor presumably gives similar improvement to the lingo 4.

advertisement

Back