advertisement

Linn Keilidh speakers

hey looking for some advice on these speakers

i know the name sure my dad had a set when i was a kid but he had LInn amps

i would be using them with 72/180/Sonic bliss eventually or a Nait5i

are they compatible with Naim or do they need serious power and active to work?

look nicely put together not heard them tho

any thoughts please?
Had Keildh speakers with aktiv cards. When I auditioned the Keilidh heard them passive first which I did not enjoy when Aktiv they really opened up coming alive. Would strongly recomend you listen to them before buying if your going passive.

I agree Kans are quite a lot better but they are a very different speaker. If you had wanted a floorstander in the early 90s, then I reckon you'd have had to spend a lot more than Keilidh money to beat Kans.

I speak from first hand experience and can recommend Royd Abbots if you can find a pair wherever you are. Used them for several years with my first Naim pre/power system (92&90).

I will say however Keilidhs are still the only Linn speaker I've liked after listening to them (that was with
Linn source and amps).

I thought the Kabers were better but I used those with Exposure amps at the time.

They are! Another fab unfashionable speaker but they need power. The 180 would be ok but I wouldn't drop below that in the Naim range. Obviously NAD, Cambridge or other unfashionable amps would probably get them going but I have never tried them. The more I think about it the more, in the OP's trousers, I'd get Credos. Modern, tidy and really nice if the room isn't too big. Got a bit lost in my 20 X 26 ft room. Went for Briks next, absolutely bloody abysmal shouty things. Cost me thousands to fail to get them to live up to expectations..

Some talk about tweeters above. In fact, Linn changed the tweeter on the Keilidhs midway through production (about 1996), and the later ones made the speakers sound twice as good. I know, I had a pair and I changed the tweeters. Used mine with a Meridian 507 amp or NAP180.

I like credos but seem to fetch much more than the Keilidhs so depends what i can get at the right price, lot of time for both royd and and ruark but some are looking very shabby in comparison to the naim or linn offering not sure if build quality or way the have been looked after?

I like credos but seem to fetch much more than the Keilidhs..

I preferred Credos to Keilidhs but they're worse than Kans as well.

I think it's important to define 'worse'. Credos, and to a lesser extent Keilidhs, try to compete with Kans in the same game. Other speakers are sufficiently different, have strengths in other areas, and it would be unfair to draw that comparison. Chalk and cheese as they say. But these two try to be good at what Kans are good at without offering anything else of value. Other than bass depth and better looks.

So unless you really love your bass depth..what's the point? I reckon Credos are probably the easiest to drive though if that's a factor.

Kans! Unto each their own, but my God they are a mega weird marmite thing and I bloody hate marmite.
As the holy flat one says at £150 Keilidhs work fine. But you can do a lot better for another £100

Well I tried them in three rooms and just found them horrible and thin even near field. Liked them in SO York in the 80s. My rooms are very big with 11 foot ceilings.

Kans! Unto each their own, but my God they are a mega weird marmite thing and I bloody hate marmite.
As the holy flat one says at £150 Keilidhs work fine. But you can do a lot better for another £100

ok so what blows them away around the £200/£25o mark then? my limitations are must work well close to a plasterboard wall so prefer sealed or non rear ported and able to cop with wooden flooring.

ok so what blows them away around the £200/£25o mark then? my limitations are must work well close to a plasterboard wall so prefer sealed or non rear ported and able to cop with wooden flooring.

I don’t know. Me I’d get Credos. I’ve had Kans, Keilidhs and Credos but, you know, it’s the room, so really it’s just speculation but nowts ont telly. In the end none of them “blows anything away” it’s pretty minor really. But of the 3 the weakest was the Keilidhs.
Then again if you like ELO or Phil Collins I’d get Keilidhs.

Not really. People ask big money for them but I'm not sure they get it.
Folks on ebay have been trying this year to get silly money (£400 - £500) for complete tatt. Not seen any of it sell though, which is good. £300 - £350 is fair for a decent pair in standard finish.

I had a pair for 20 years and really enjoyed them with a Nait 3 & then I joined PFM and I got status anxiety as the tweeters were mesh rather than three bar & I didn't have the ku-stone stands...so they just had to go!!!

If you can stretch the budget out a little, Ninkas are worth a shot. They replaced the Keilidh (albeit with a fair price hike), they really are excellent speakers though, I’ve had mine for many years and wouldn’t even contemplate selling them... need a little more breathing space than Keilidhs though.

What size is the room? .... Linn Tukan or Katan... much less marmite than Kans, far better than keilidh tub thumpers. Excellent aktiv as well.
Another cheap option from the era, JPW, various stand mounts, often go for 30-40 quid. Good boogie factor.

advertisement

Back