advertisement

Linn Keilidh speakers

I owned Keltiks for about 10 years... with real wood veneer on the lower front panels. The veneer and lacquer was outstanding, book matched down the centre and mirrored between both speakers (the same attention to detail is taken on Ninkas too). The top baffle is painted black because it has pits cut into it to disperse unwanted reflections, not too pretty when on show... but the shimmery cloth grille looks superb. Mine had the latest versions of the drivers and were ran with KXOs, they made Briks sound broken... I could’ve bought Briks and taken them active for a lot less than the Keltiks and KXOs cost me... but I didn’t. The Keltiks were much more domestically acceptable and sounded better. They’re a bargain these days because they can ONLY be used in active mode, which limits their market somewhat. Brilliant speakers with the right system and space.

Keilidhs are probably the best used speaker bang-for-the-buck speakers out there these days.

I heard a pair through another member’s Naim olive setup. I recall the were good sounding speakers in the way that rock, jazz, of anything that benefits from attack, some upper mid/ low treble glare coupled with dryish bass.

Silly name for a speaker though, but what do you expect from Linn?

Think you’ve been going to the wrong ceilidhs!

At least they don't have bagpipes!

I mean seriously, what lobotomized chimpanzee thought those up?

How does it work?
You blow in it.
And shape your mouth to make the notes?
No. it plays the same notes all the time.
What?
Yeah, it just blasts out the same dozen notes all the time, at the same volume.
It just drones on non stop?
Oh, that's a good name for it!
So it can't actually play a tune?
Well, I could maybe add a pipe with holes so...
Doesn't actually sound in tune to me?
Ah, it's close enough. I know, if you get fifty people to play the things all at once no one will notice that they can't actually play in tune and they'll be impressed by the sheer volume?
You've created a monster.
Thank you.

So would my Grandfather were he still with us. He judged the Piobaireachd at most of the Highland Games on the calendar.

I grew up with the pipes and love them.

I grew up with the pipes and love them.

My grandfather loved the pipes too. He also loved daytime quiz shows so I'm not sure what we're taking out of this?

OK, so in the context of a sunny highland games, smell of freshly cut grass and a traction engine, a flock of bagpipes works. Impressive sound unique and fitting but, have you ever heard a single bagbipes up close? Damn :0(

More times than I can count. A great memory is at my mothers house in Braemar after a pupil of my uncle- a German chap named Martin Kessler who remains one of the best I’ve ever heard- won the Gold at the Braemar Games, playing in the kitchen. The way he segued from a piobrach tune to Suzanne Vega and back and other similar things was just genius.

Or another Games Day when my uncle was a bit worse for wear, lying flat on his back in the pub playing the pipes. He’s no longer with us and this was many years ago, but people still talk about it to this day, it’s a treasured memory for me.

@Ali T it is wonderful to have memories like that. Your post reminds me that the well known "Highland Cathedral" was composed by was composed by German musicians Ulrich Roever and Michael Korb.

advertisement

Back