advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

Sorry, I think that it is your bearing :(

I just tried my, pre Cirkus, bearing. One gentle push with index finger only (not as fast as you got yours going and only kept in contact for about one second) and it kept on rotating for about 45 seconds - also came to a much smoother stop than your video.
Apologies for not showing video - i use “post images” if i find a way i will update.

I saw a video of a bearing spinning also side by side and the bearing was spinning for quite a long time

In this video around 7 mins in this bearing is spinning for ages mine isn’t like that at all as can be seen in my video clip it only makes less than 30 seconds with a considerable push, but folks are saying the bearing is fine?.

The bearing may not be spinning as freely as some, although to be honest I can't be sure of that from a video, but it's free enough to not cause your problem. The biggest obstacle the motor has in starting the platter is the inertia of a 2.5 kg platter. Compared to that a slight difference in bearing friction is nothing. If the bearing was way too stiff the deck would not run correctly once up to speed.

I'm done here. We've gone over the same things a million times. Take the deck to a dealer.

although comparing my pre Cirkus with your bearing may not be valid - tighter tolerances on new bearing? Different/more viscous oil to give motor more resistance to work against/higher torque So less wow and flutter?
i may be talking bollocks, but i was very surprised how much force you used to get it rotating by hand.

although comparing my pre Cirkus with your bearing may not be valid - tighter tolerances on new bearing? Different/more viscous oil to give motor more resistance to work against/higher torque Son less wow and flutter?
i may be talking bollocks, but i was very surprised how much force you used to get it rotating by hand.

Yes I see what you mean , thanks for that video. As Mr Pig says needs looking at by an expert now, no use throwing money at something buying belts etc when the original belt is probably not an issue. Hopefully the motor is just out of place slightly.

I have used RPM to check speed , please note I had to start the turntable by hand and put a electrical tape roll over the spindle while it was rotating but it was steady at the speed but obviously not rotating centrally

Slippery/contaminated belt?
Tight/damaged bearing?
Wrong bearing oil used?
This thread is going round in circles now.
IMHO it's time to get the deck to a decent LP12 fettler.

Could be a loose motor wire connection or defective power supply. I had a similar problem with my van after it was returned from a service with a loose battery ground connection. Drove me nuts for a few weeks as I was experiencing all kinds of intermittent issues and thinking it was a much larger problem. One of the problems was that the motorized sliding doors wouldn’t work unless the engine was running.

Dansette for the win. Why anyone needs this amount of stress over listening to music is beyond me.
im glad I never got rid of my Hacker Gondolier maybe time to get it out of the cupboard!!! And to boot the thing still works after all these years, not the last word in sound quality granted but it fires up and works.

Whilst I’m here does anyone have the installation manual for the Lingo 4 power supply, ive emailed Linn and they don’t supply things like that to plebs like me!!, I just wanted to read it. Rather shirty via email we don’t supply instructions to the general public!. So for example if members of the public want to sell gear due to upgrading for example to others , recycling used equipment is out of the question?. Linn won’t supply the installation manuals and dealers won’t install used equipment!!, so I ask what do people do. I phoned a Linn dealer to ask about installing used equipment for customers and they said we can install a new one for you, but if you bring a used one to us to install we can’t do it!. So much for recycling and saving waste.

This is what I’m after

Pack 1849 Lingo 4 installation instructions revision 9.

Thanks if anyone has this PDF , interestingly installs of this power supply I’ve read about today say that this is included with the power supply but whether that’s somewhere which hasn’t got a dealer locally I can’t say.

im glad I never got rid of my Hacker Gondolier maybe time to get it out of the cupboard!!! And to boot the thing still works after all these years, not the last word in sound quality granted but it fires up and works.

Whilst I’m here does anyone have the installation manual for the Lingo 4 power supply, ive emailed Linn and they don’t supply things like that to plebs like me!!, I just wanted to read it. Rather shirty via email we don’t supply instructions to the general public!. So for example if members of the public want to sell gear due to upgrading for example to others , recycling used equipment is out of the question?. Linn won’t supply the installation manuals and dealers won’t install used equipment!!, so I ask what do people do. I phoned a Linn dealer to ask about installing used equipment for customers and they said we can install a new one for you, but if you bring a used one to us to install we can’t do it!. So much for recycling and saving waste.

This is what I’m after

Pack 1849 Lingo 4 installation instructions revision 9.

Thanks if anyone has this PDF , interestingly installs of this power supply I’ve read about today say that this is included with the power supply but whether that’s somewhere which hasn’t got a dealer locally I can’t say.

I can quite understand a dealer's reluctance to fit used kit with unknown provenance. In the event of something failing they'd be open to all kinds of problems/accusations eg "Well you fitted it. You must have done something wrong" or "It was working fine until you got your hands on it".
Different story if the dealer supplies and fits a second owner part. Chances are, they'd have taken it in part ex from a regular customer against an upgrade. They'd know the history of the part and would likely be able to offer some sort of guarantee or, depending on age, the balance of the manufacturer's warranty.
Many Linn dealers have used Lingo 4s etc in stock for not much more money than privately advertised items.

I can quite understand a dealer's reluctance to fit used kit with unknown provenance. In the event of something failing they'd be open to all kinds of problems/accusations eg "Well you fitted it. You must have done something wrong" or "It was working fine until you got your hands on it".
Different story if the dealer supplies and fits a second owner part. Chances are, they'd have taken it in part ex from a regular customer against an upgrade. They'd know the history of the part and would likely be able to offer some sort of guarantee or, depending on age, the balance of the manufacturer's warranty.
Many Linn dealers have used Lingo 4s etc in stock for not much more money than privately advertised items.
Granted and fair comment but why won’t Linn provide PDFs to look at if they won’t install the kit themselves or their dealers won’t. It is after all assisting the enthusiasts like Peter Swain did in his excellent guides.

Just an update on the ? Belt issue, it wasn’t the belt at all, had it looked at by the incredibly helpful Peter Swain this afternoon who diagnosed that the Majik power supply was the culprit, what a tremendously accommodating man Peter is, after finding out the cause of this he completely dismantled the deck to the plinth and found numerous issues with it, the deck was professionally installed for the previous owner and it wasn’t shall we say a perfect result.
Peter allowed me to watch him do everything he explained everything he was doing and why he was doing it and installed a Lingo 4 power supply for me. Absolutely wonderful afternoon spent and I must say I have learned a valuable lesson that I should buy from someone like him straight off the bat and have none of these headaches. The amount of expertise and perfectionism shown to my deck really has made me happy, thank you Peter great job!

Happy days. Peter is one of the few people I'd buy an LP12 off, if I needed to buy an LP12 without knowing much about them. You're in good hands.

Just an update on the ? Belt issue, it wasn’t the belt at all, had it looked at by the incredibly helpful Peter Swain this afternoon who diagnosed that the Majik power supply was the culprit, what a tremendously accommodating man Peter is, after finding out the cause of this he completely dismantled the deck to the plinth and found numerous issues with it, the deck was professionally installed for the previous owner and it wasn’t shall we say a perfect result.
Peter allowed me to watch him do everything he explained everything he was doing and why he was doing it and installed a Lingo 4 power supply for me. Absolutely wonderful afternoon spent and I must say I have learned a valuable lesson that I should buy from someone like him straight off the bat and have none of these headaches. The amount of expertise and perfectionism shown to my deck really has made me happy, thank you Peter great job!
So how does it sound?

So how does it sound?

Well he played two records for me one of which I I’ve got at home the Tracy Chapman album and also the first side of the fresh out this week David Crosby Analogue Productions Atlantic 75 “ If I could only remember my name “ which came through the post this morning to me from the States and it really sounded amazingly good , the Chapman album was better than anything digital can achieve I’m certain of that and the Crosby album for a 1970 recording sounded as if it had been recorded last week!. The whole thing sounded astounding and my deck wasn’t anywhere near as highly spec’s as the 10 or so opposite it. I’m very pleased and should have took the Cymbiosis route at the very beginning!.

advertisement

Back