advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

Glad to hear you are so happy Wayne. I've put a write up on all the LP12s I have set up this week on the LP12 FB group as yours was not the only LP12 in desperate need of some TLC!! KR, Peter
Hi Peter,

Could I ask what the failure mode on the Majik PSU was? Wayne said the issue was the PSU but I can't think how a failure of the Majik could cause the belt to slip as it did in his video. The pulley was turning, belt slipping on it. The Majik's not that old and it's quite a simple device, I thought they'd be reliable for years yet.

Glad to hear you are so happy Wayne. I've put a write up on all the LP12s I have set up this week on the LP12 FB group as yours was not the only LP12 in desperate need of some TLC!! KR, Peter
Nice post on FB, another reason for buying used LP12 bits from a good dealer.

Last edited:
Nice post on FB, another reason for buying used LP12 bits from a good dealer.

How do I see this post, I’ve tried to join this closed group and it doesn’t seem to allow it. I have tried to join the biggest group not sure it’s the same one as the post is on!!.

How do I see this post, I’ve tried to join this closed group and it doesn’t seem to allow it. I have tried to join the biggest group not sure it’s the same one as the post is on!!.
The group is called “Linn Sondek LP12“ the post is under Peter’s full name. You’ll have to scroll down quite a bit to find it, there’s 32 photos involved.

The group is called “Linn Sondek LP12“ the post is under Peter’s full name. You’ll have to scroll down quite a bit to find it, there’s 32 photos involved.

I’ve looked that group up and can only find one with 32 members but I doubt that is it as it doesn’t say Peter is a member of that group , apologies I’m not a regular Facebook user and don’t know how to navigate around it to find such items

If the Majik PSU was the culprit, it does make you wonder how many more might be like this.
Bit worrying for potential customers.
I honestly thought that the Majik PSU would be very reliable. There isn't much in there and it looks well made. In the long run I guess an old Valhalla makes more sense as they are well known and almost indefinitely serviceable.

Main thing is to change it regularly as LP12 bearings last a lot longer if you do.

Hi Mr Pig.

I'm interested to know why it's better to empty & replace the Linn oil regularly?

And how often does this need to be done?

Thanks,

I’ve looked that group up and can only find one with 32 members but I doubt that is it as it doesn’t say Peter is a member of that group , apologies I’m not a regular Facebook user and don’t know how to navigate around it to find such items
You must have misread my post, it said 32 photos. The group has 7.3k members.

Something fishy here. I can't see how that PSU could cause the probs that the OP posted here.

The issues that were encountered with the deck on dismantling included damaged top plate , damaged internal plinth, ? Practically imperceptible ( To my eyes at least ) buckled platter ( I couldn’t see this but Peter said he could, and I trust his experience ), etc etc the following parts went straight into the bin after assessing the start and rotation failures by motor / power supply at cymbiosis - motor / Majik power supply / on off button / various screws and springs etc. and I’m thankful for Peter taking the time to look at it!, he could of thought not my concern but the decent man he is, he kindly helped me out and I’m grateful for it!. Only experts or those knowledgeable about these decks through experience know that things could be hiding a lot of problems.

I'm interested to know why it's better to empty & replace the Linn oil regularly?
I think there are two reasons.

Firstly, contaminants can get in. Although the bearing is tucked away under the platter, dust and debris can get in there over time and anything in there other than oil will cause wear and scoring of the bearing surfaces.

Secondly, although it's a very low intensity application, the oil does deteriorate over time. Especially the standard Linn oil. I have pulled bearings apart and found thick, tar-like goop at the bottom of the well or you can see a hard black ring at the top of the spindle.

Whatever the exact mechanics, it does make a difference. I've pulled very old bearings which were like new and others which were destroyed. Spindle rocking in worn liners and the tip worn away. Considering the trifling cost, it's best practice to change it occasionally.

How often you should change it is like asking how long a car wheel bearing lasts. It's going to depend on the type of oil, how much use the deck gets, how clean the environment is, lots of things. The accepted wisdom was once a year but I rarely do that. I also use J7 (Audio Origami) Booster Oil which is a noticeably better oil than Linn oil and has been specifically developed for turntable bearings. Linn oil is just Mobil1 with some molly slip added and, as far as I am aware, it hasn't been changed in decades. The J7 oil both lasts longer and sounds better. Yes, it actually sounds better. If you don't believe me, try it.

The issues that were encountered with the deck on dismantling included damaged top plate , damaged internal plinth, ? Practically imperceptible ( To my eyes at least ) buckled platter ( I couldn’t see this but Peter said he could, and I trust his experience ), etc etc the following parts went straight into the bin after assessing the start and rotation failures by motor / power supply at cymbiosis - motor / Majik power supply / on off button / various screws and springs etc. and I’m thankful for Peter taking the time to look at it!, he could of thought not my concern but the decent man he is, he kindly helped me out and I’m grateful for it!. Only experts or those knowledgeable about these decks through experience know that things could be hiding a lot of problems.
So has the dealer your bought the deck from been reported back to Linn for this unacceptable level of service?

I must have subscribed to the wrong group !! , this is a public group but is called Linn Sondek LP12 one of the recent posts has a Linn T shirt image?, any chance you can provide a link to get to the correct one??

Oh I see, I somehow thought it was from another dealer.
Lesson learned, was the remedy rather costly, no need to answer I'm sure it was enough.
I'd say that generally buying from a dealer is safer but it's not guaranteed. A lot of Linn dealers have no idea about the LP12 despite them getting training etc. at least you have some kind of backup if you buy from a shop but I would only buy from dealers I knew were good, like Peter Swain or Loud & Clear Glasgow. I'd say most of the LP12s I pull apart have some kind of issue from sloppy building standards.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom