advertisement

Linn Kan 1 v 2

How are you getting on with them?
I bought them to give it a try.
I just set them up last night on Partington speaker stands. I also have these stands (see image below) stands which I will setup when I get a chance
MK1 stands have a slanted front support whereas the MK2 stands have four column/leg that drop straight down from the corner of the top plate.

MK1 Stands
$_86.JPG

images

System is Node 2i and Onix OA21S.(I know. should have an analogue source, but hey! That's my system).
Initial thoughts:
Very lively, crystal clear highs. Reminds me of the Royd Eden but with steroids.
Bass is actually better than I was expecting. It is very tight but it goes deep enough for me to enjoy Massive Attack ( without shaking the room of course...)
I have the Royd Merlin, which go a lot deeper but are not as informative as the Kans.
Still early days. I will give them some more time.

I also have a Nait 2 which I am planning to use with.

Linn Isobariks, Saras and Kans all have had various stands, some made by Linn some by others.

I have a set of Sara stands that have four holes on the top plate where four domes that sit on the bottom of the Saras locate into.

So those stands more than likely were used for Kans.

Got a pair of Mk. 1 stands under a pair of Mk. 1 Kans in SWMBO's workroom. They seem to work.......

OwtOILLs.jpg
Hi all I love this thread.......I remember listening to the Kan Mk1's being demoed by Linn at the Bristol Hi Fi show in the mid to late 80's ..... they demoed the Kans in a really large open space that had a brick wall backing it.........Kans up tight to it .... and boy did they sound good they played Tracey Chapman on vinyl ..... these little speakers filled the space and the bass was pretty darn good. I was so impressed that I decided to make my own super Kan's one day ... that day has now come eventually - these I am calling the 'Kan Kan'...... these use Falcon matched drivers and high quality x over components - together with a bomb proof cabinet (each empty cabinet weighs 12kg) that is immensely rigid and external crossovers....they are almost complete...I am finishing off the veneering. I will let you know...how I get on. If they work as well as I hope they do - I intend make sets to order....I will keep you posted.
Wvai8Na

Last edited:
I made a pair of my own ultimate kans, corian cabinets and ninka tweeters.

The crossover probably needs a little work but amazingly tight bottom end.

CB Nait 2 and Mk1 Kans on original stands here, owned from new mid 80’s (86 ish iirc). Both Nait and Kans have been factory serviced around 8-10 years ago and have plenty of bass and clarity in the mids and highs in a small room. They do tend to sound a bit stretched when asked to fill a large space with high volume though. I’m running them in a bedroom with an old sqbox duet and CA dac. Sounds mighty fine.

OwtOILLs.jpg
great finally did it hear is the Kan Kan nearing completion.......18mm birch ply..fully braced and damped.....magnetic speaker grill magnets installed....drivers recessed into cabinet.....external x overs.....cant wait to try them out...

OwtOILLs.jpg
great finally did it hear is the Kan Kan nearing completion.......18mm birch ply..fully braced and damped.....magnetic speaker grill magnets installed....drivers recessed into cabinet.....external x overs.....cant wait to try them out...

I'm really impressed, what a great project! I hope you find it every bit as rewarding as you'd hoped. Would love to see more photos, of the finished and build stages too, if you have them? The stands are crucial for Kan-Kans, they must be very rigid/sturdy and the correct height (tweeter at ear level).

Great idea to have the xover external as you may want to take them to the next level with an active xover.

I wonder which damping material you used inside the enclosure, and how you sealed around the drivers.

The inside is complex...it has a mid brace and a vertical...one little bit like matrix...the walls are lead lined...with lead imbeded in silicone..to provide constrained damping this is then felt lined...there is also some further bracing to breakup panel modes... The front baffle is 24mm thick...but tweeter sits in its own sealed chamber...making top half of baffle 38mm thick. The cabinet feels totally bomb proof...if you tap the panels they are both solid and dead....internal volume is also increased a bit to give the bass a few dB more output....phew...

If all this does not work I will simply buy some LS35A cabinets from Falcon and make a direct copy of Kan....except with external x overs... But I think my mini monster cabinet will work...excited

I have got further ideas...of building a cabinet with with tapered cavity damping...aka Vivid...but folded to fit in std cabinet arrangement...

advertisement

Back