advertisement

Linn Kan 1 v 2

I agree Gary. The very best Kans I ever heard was an active pair driven by a brace of 250s;with full blown LP12 at the front. These were on Sound Org wall brackets and ( I promise I was sober) the bass kicked you in the stomach and the control was spellbinding. These were Kan mk IIs as well, which surprised me.

Bob, i have always had a hankering to hear a pair of active Kans. I know how my old Isobariks were completely changed when i sold them to a friend who took them active with a six pack, jaw dropping. I still have my mk1 Kans and the S/O wall brackets even though they are not in use as i use SL2's in their place. The SL2 is the better speaker, even used passively as i do, but sometimes i still think it would be nice to put the Kans back in for a week just to double check.... I also have mk2 stands for the Kans, but the wall brackets are amazing and bass output is ridiculous given their size.

Bob, i have always had a hankering to hear a pair of active Kans. I know how my old Isobariks were completely changed when i sold them to a friend who took them active with a six pack, jaw dropping. I still have my mk1 Kans and the S/O wall brackets even though they are not in use as i use SL2's in their place. The SL2 is the better speaker, even used passively as i do, but sometimes i still think it would be nice to put the Kans back in for a week just to double check.... I also have mk2 stands for the Kans, but the wall brackets are amazing and bass output is ridiculous given their size.

Gary I have let all my Kans go now but have kept the SO wall brackets just in case....

You can sell those stands to me then? ;)

You can sell those stands to me then? ;)

Trouble is Olli, the reason i keep them is you never know the room configuration they may be used in. Given the choice i'd always use wall brackets, but sometimes you don't have a solid wall and floorstands would be the order of the day.

Good thing with active Kans is that they don't fail in bass response like many other little speakers do. The bass just stops in some point but Kans do not 'try' to push over limit. I don't know if you know what I mean and sorry for my bad english..

IBLs and Rega Kytes managed a similar neat trick. Very well defined and tuneful, just not going as deep as other - but allowing you to clearly follow what was going on.

Good thing with active Kans is that they don't fail in bass response like many other little speakers do. The bass just stops in some point but Kans do not 'try' to push over limit. I don't know if you know what I mean and sorry for my bad english..

I know exactly what you mean!

Being new to the term PRaT kindly elucidate.
Thanks

This is a term which really divides.
I believe it was coined by one Martin Colloms, whom I used to totally respect many years ago.
He struck me as a level-headed audio engineer with an objective approach. If I can say so, much like myself except he was electronics and I was traditional engineering.
I recall his original evaluation of The Spendor BC1. Sensible, objective and with a logical approach of linking its performance to its design.

I then, for many years, took a sabbatical from the audio world to concentrate on other things. When I returned to reading magazines, especially HFN, M C's approach had completely altered.

Gone was the objectiveness and in its place subjectiveness had completely taken over. I was, frankly, shocked...
When he came out with is PRAT expression, many appeared to embrace it and forget about the objective evaluation of loudspeakers and other audio equipment.

I have enough experience in the audio world ( I record and run a PA system ) to know that different people embrace music in different ways.
Many will totally accept the subjective, PRAT way of evaluating music. I honestly don't have a problem with that.
What I do object to is, in MC's case, an emphasis on one particular approach.

M Miles.

I bought several pairs in the 80s all mk1s , the best pair where the first ones , mdf cab,scanspeak hf unit , b110a . .

I am sure they were £228 .

To get the best from Kans they need to be on their dedicated stands, I prefer the MKII stands, and very close to a solid wall, I mean about an inch or two away.

Nait 1 is a sweetie.

What is the difference between the MKI & MKII Stands?

MK1 stands have a slanted front support whereas the MK2 stands have four column/leg that drop straight down from the corner of the top plate.

MK1 Stands
$_86.JPG

MK2 Stands
images

Did anyone compare kustone to pre-kustone Kan 2s back in the day?

I've had one kustone pair I wasn't fussed about but they were 25+ years old so that could have been down to various things.

I just bought a pair of Linn Kan and looking at the serial nr. (499xx) they look like the Kustone version.
They are heavy and appear to be very well built.

advertisement

Back