advertisement

Linn K20,Naim Naca5, Avondale Black Link

Linn K20 is a brighter cable than NACA 5, but quite dynamic. The Naim cable I found to be more of an opaque sound.

Haven’t used the Avondale cable.

Hope that helps.

I've compared the Avondale cable with NAC A5 and I thought it was better in every way except PRaT. It wasn't as bright as the Naim, although it's difficult to remember now, it was decades ago. It's certainly worth a try, your priorities might be different to mine.

Linn K20 is a brighter cable than NACA 5, but quite dynamic.

I presume this is a typing mistake because it’s the opposite way round. NacA5 is clearly the brighter, tighter, drier sounding (very oddly and clearly so in fact). Depending on your viewpoint the NacA5 is hard and bright or the K20 is soft and dull.

Last edited:
I’ve just swapped my K20 for some used (so run in) A5. The A5 is crisper and tighter, with a little more frequency range at each end. An improvement for me, but subtle rather than night and day, and proves my point that at its current cost of about £5 a metre K20 is the best £ for £ cable by a mile...........

I cannot hear a difference between K20 and NACA5 with my Exposure equipment.
As well you shouldn't, Wilson.

Linn K20 and Naim NACA4 are electrically identical, and the published specifications of these differ from NACA5 by a barely worth mentioning inductance difference of 0.07µH. Regardless, this difference can be made null by making a given length of NACA4/K20 7.5% longer than that of NACA5. Naim obviously didn't think it worth compensating for, as their recommended lengths for A5 are exactly the same as those that were previously suggested for A4.

No doubt, someone will be along shortly to explain to us how the dielectric constant of the insulation makes all the difference in the world at audio frequencies (as opposed to at radio frequencies and/or WRT HT electrical transmission).

I run two separate set ups, one digital and the other analogue. I use NACA4 in the digital system, and NACA5 in the analogue set up. The cables are interchangeable, with the ends being dressed the same, so I have tried them the other way around. There's not a lot in it, but the 4 does seem a bit "softer", and the 5 more "distinct" sounding, tighter, if you will. These are not drastic traits by any means; they are quite subtle. I ended up using the NACA4 where I needed a more flexible cable, and the NACA5 where I could get away with the stiffer insulation. That's what decided it for me...

I presume this is a typing mistake because it’s the opposite way round. NacA5 is clearly the brighter, tighter, drier sounding (very oddly and clearly so in fact). Depending on your viewpoint the NacA5 is hard and bright or the K20 is soft and dull.

Admittedly it has been some years since using Linn K20 cable but from memory definitely more open and brighter than the opaque NACA 5. In my opinion anyway...

I’ve just swapped my K20 for some used (so run in) A5.
Come on, copper cables do not "run in". This implies a physical change made to a cable by using it to conduct electricity. It doesn't. If you hear a difference, this is your mind "running in" and that definitelt *does* change. In all of us.

They are more than electrically identical, they are identical. As in they are made by the same company (BICC) to the same spec on the same lines. They may be stamped differently.
Thanks Steve, I included the word 'electrically', as the insulation colour and flexibility are different.

As well you shouldn't, Wilson.

Linn K20 and Naim NACA4 are electrically identical, and the published specifications of these differ from NACA5 by a barely worth mentioning inductance difference of 0.07µH. Regardless, this difference can be made null by making a given length of NACA4/K20 7.5% longer than that of NACA5. Naim obviously didn't think it worth compensating for, as their recommended lengths for A5 are exactly the same as those that were previously suggested for A4.

No doubt, someone will be along shortly to explain to us how the dielectric constant of the insulation makes all the difference in the world at audio frequencies (as opposed to at radio frequencies and/or WRT HT electrical transmission).

Indeedy. Interesting to see claims for more or less treble or bass from different cables when this isn't even possible....

Well, I suppose, if one went for a pair of the old Monitor Audio 'High Definition' wire (aka Polk Audio 'Cobra', aka Fulton cable), one's classic Naim might squeal like a stuck pig as it goes into oscillation.

Well, I suppose, if one went for a pair of the old Monitor Audio 'High Definition' wire (aka Polk Audio 'Cobra', aka Fulton cable), one's classic Naim might squeal like a stuck pig as it goes into oscillation.

But not if you buy the new Arkless Electronics "Theile Box" which allows any length of any cable to be used with Naim, Exposure, NVA and other such unstable amps! A hand built in the UK bargain at only £80!

I am not so sure which is worse, cable threads or Jez’s little box that fixes all of their ills. :)

It's all subjective, of course, but 'Jez's Little Box' doesn't quite have the same marketing cachet as 'Theile Box'.

I'm still partial to 'Matchbox', though.

advertisement

Back