advertisement

Linn Isobariks - Avondale Amps, Naim Naxo etc., Which Connections for Active Listening?? Please Help?

Snowy0968

I have a set of... I think, around 1988 Isobariks which have Active and Passive connection options on the rear ( 2 on the left passive, 6 remaining for the Active option ).

The setup currently consists of:

Avondale component power amplifier units, with three NCC200 units in each case (instead of 3 x NAP 135's per channel)

Avondale Power Supply box with three power supplies therein... (in stead of 3 Hi-Caps), but currently using two of the units)

Naim NAC-102 Preamplifier (connected to one of the supplies in the above unit)

Naim Naxo 3-6 which appears externally to be standard... again connected to one of the power supplies

Naim CDSII CD player and NA-XPS power supply

Linn Isobariks PMS/DMS speakers (on Mana Acoustic stands)

It all seems to work fine with the Naxo leads plugged in to the power amps currently, using speaker cables plugged into one of the power units in each of the two power amplifiers, then into the passive speaker connections... but I cannot seem to get anything to make a sound if I connect three sets of cables to each amplifier?!

Have checked and am using the equivalent of the 'SIX-PACK CONNECTIONS' correctly, but it appears the issue is between Power amplifiers and speakers on the Active side...

NB. I have two external crossover units which I have no clue what to do with, but assume they are possibly the key, but I just don't want to rink making any dubious connections and potentially blowing amps, etc. I have not explored the speaker cabinets to see if there are any other crossovers in the base of the cabinets, but am sure my good friend, who built this equipment (now very sadly deceased 🥺) would have had this all sorted (he was cleverer than I...and experimented a lot more).

Please help if you know what I should be doing? Any positive suggestions and diagrams would be very much appreciated. If it helps I could send some photos (how do I insert images from my library on here, as it seems to want links)?

Thank you in advance.

I have a set of... I think, around 1988 Isobariks which have Active and Passive connection options on the rear ( 2 on the left passive, 6 remaining for the Active option ).

The setup currently consists of:

Avondale component power amplifier units, with three NCC200 units in each case (instead of 3 x NAP 135's per channel)

Avondale Power Supply box with three power supplies therein... (in stead of 3 Hi-Caps), but currently using two of the units)

Naim NAC-102 Preamplifier (connected to one of the supplies in the above unit)

Naim Naxo 3-6 which appears externally to be standard... again connected to one of the power supplies

Naim CDSII CD player and NA-XPS power supply

Linn Isobariks PMS/DMS speakers (on Mana Acoustic stands)

It all seems to work fine with the Naxo leads plugged in to the power amps currently, using speaker cables plugged into one of the power units in each of the two power amplifiers, then into the passive speaker connections... but I cannot seem to get anything to make a sound if I connect three sets of cables to each amplifier?!

Have checked and am using the equivalent of the 'SIX-PACK CONNECTIONS' correctly, but it appears the issue is between Power amplifiers and speakers on the Active side...

NB. I have two external crossover units which I have no clue what to do with, but assume they are possibly the key, but I just don't want to rink making any dubious connections and potentially blowing amps, etc. I have not explored the speaker cabinets to see if there are any other crossovers in the base of the cabinets, but am sure my good friend, who built this equipment (now very sadly deceased 🥺) would have had this all sorted (he was cleverer than I...and experimented a lot more).

Please help if you know what I should be doing? Any positive suggestions and diagrams would be very much appreciated. If it helps I could send some photos (how do I insert images from my library on here, as it seems to want links)?

Thank you in advance.
You can post pictures using image hosting sites like Imgur which provide a link you can post here using the 'Insert Image' icon above.

The external crossovers won't be necessary if the system is to be operated actively.

The Isobariks should have had the old internal crossovers removed if you have a pair of the external ones.

I'm not overly familiar with the Avondale equipment you have but I imagine the connecting up won't be too different from the Naim method. Do you have any of the Naim manuals for the SNAXO 3-6?

Regards

Richard

Firstly check out HP1’s reply in the audio section.Naim’s preferred wiring is different from Avondale’s so be careful wiring these items up.

From memory Naim would wire the following way

Source- Pre amp- hicap - snaxo - power amps - speakers.

If we look at your set up in reverse you appear to have,

briks- 2x Avondale tri amp packs - Naxo 3-6 - Avondale power supply x3- preamp - source

Now the crucial part is how the Naxo, power supplies and pre amp are wired and powered, the Naim way or the Avondale way?

Certainly pics may may us (inc the rear connections on the units), however I suspect a phone call to Les at Avondale would likely be most productive. He’s always been great to deal with on the phone and he may even have a wiring chart he can email you or draw one based on the units you have.

But I will stress, don’t wire it up till you can confirm the correct wiring. Feeding a bass signal through the tweeters will end in tears!

This little lot by any chance?

If the previous owner hasn't provided detailed instructions and you aren't the technical type then you're going to need an active systems expert to take a look at it for you. Mistakes can be expensive and getting it wrong can easily blow tweeters.

There ain't many of us out there. where are you located?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

If the previous owner hasn't provided detailed instructions and you aren't the technical type then you're going to need an active systems expert to take a look at it for you. Mistakes can be expensive and getting it wrong can easily blow tweeters.

I suspect we’re not getting the full story here!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I'm located in South Wales, not far from Cardiff.

Yes, in proper reply, it is this series of items, though carelessly, not all items were shown in the ad. They belonged to my best friend, but sadly he's no longer around to provide any instructions at all... I just want to ensure this is all in complete order for the next owner and Nick would certainly want that.

Nick was a member on various forums and this was his second system. I heard it all working and knew it sounded good, but I was never into all the experimentation and DIY Nick did. Having been given this all when he died, I assumed I would be able to just plug it all in easily, similar to my own items... but it's obviously not quite that straight forward...

Firstly check out HP1’s reply in the audio section.Naim’s preferred wiring is different from Avondale’s so be careful wiring these items up.

From memory Naim would wire the following way

Source- Pre amp- hicap - snaxo - power amps - speakers.

If we look at your set up in reverse you appear to have,

briks- 2x Avondale tri amp packs - Naxo 3-6 - Avondale power supply x3- preamp - source

Now the crucial part is how the Naxo, power supplies and pre amp are wired and powered, the Naim way or the Avondale way?

Certainly pics may may us (inc the rear connections on the units), however I suspect a phone call to Les at Avondale would likely be most productive. He’s always been great to deal with on the phone and he may even have a wiring chart he can email you or draw one based on the units you have.

But I will stress, don’t wire it up till you can confirm the correct wiring. Feeding a bass signal through the tweeters will end in tears!
Y
Hi, I really appreciate the help and advice from everyone.

Yes, I need to consider all of this, as I'm surprised there is a difference in wiring as such. Nick and I visited Les a couple of times and he was a nice and very interesting guy. Les did visit Nick a couple of times in Nailsworth. I remember being totally surprised at how good his designs made the equipment sound. I will try and give him a call.

I don't think you can rely on it being wired up exactly as Naim would have done it.

You really need somebody who can take the lids off some of the the boxes and see how it all goes.

Bit too much of a hike for me I'm afraid.

I don't think you can rely on it being wired up exactly as Naim would have done it.

You really need somebody who can take the lids off some of the the boxes and see how it all goes.

Bit too much of a hike for me I'm afraid.
Well I have had the lids off the Avondale items and they are all wired up very neatly; in fact, a lot neater than the Isobariks at the base. :)

Sadly I assumed it would be so much easier to go from passive to active?! It appears I was naively wrong.

I'm trying to post a photo of the crossover in the base of one of the Isobariks I have here.

Yes, in proper reply, it is this series of items. They belonged to my best friend, but sadly he's no longer around to provide any instructions at all...

Nick was a member on various forums and this was his second system. I heard it all working and knew it sounded good, but I was never into all the experimentation and DIY Nick did. Having bee

Well that's wired for passive operation which explains your symptoms.

Here is the picture you need to explain what to do to go properly active.

Note the PXO comes completely out of circuit and there is no passive triamp option with this variant.

The question you have to ask is why has it been put back to passive given the amps and cross overs you have?
Hi and apologies for the delay in reaction... other things going on unfortunately. :oops:
Thanks for this, as at least I should... have more of a clue... I will take a look very shortly
Yes, exactly my thoughts as to why return it back to Passive wiring?! It seems I know a lot less than I thought about how it works.
I really just don't reason why there isn't an option to have separate sets of crossovers for each set of either Active or Passive wiring? It seems ludicrous to me to have to de-solder and solder to change the configuration...which to my mind is full of risk!? H'mmmm it seems I know very little on this.
Sincere thanks again.

They fixed that issue with the next gen. The PXO became external. Same thing Naim had been doing for 10 years at the time.

advertisement

Back