Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linn Isobarik PMS vs DMS

Discussion in 'classic' started by zoltm, Jun 16, 2013.

1. zoltm

zoltm pfm Member

Dear Linn domain experts or any Linnie,

I have recently engaged with an audio buddy on a discussion regarding the sound quality of a pair of Linn PMS vs DMS.

It's the buddy's opinion that for Brik that is designated as "PMS" are the version made of specially selected drivers for professional application or delivery to studio.

For those Brik designated as DMS are "standard grade" drivers for domestic market delivery.

I want someone could shed some light on this regards.

Thanks.

zoltm.

2. Willie Eckerslyke

Willie Eckerslyke Occasional Optimist

It's a little bit simpler than that - the only difference is the presence or absence of a crossover. DMS has a crossover, and is passive, PMS does not, and is actively driven by three stereo, or six mono, amplifiers plus active crossover filters. Late production were neither DMS nor PMS, as the crossover was removable.

3. zoltm

zoltm pfm Member

So base on your understanding, they are fundamentally the same speaker. Should not have any difference in driver's quality and hence sound quality.

Am I right?

4. Audio Images

Audio Images Trade: Audio Images

yes, the same

5. CJ1045

CJ1045 You want Briks with that?

Yes they are identical (except for the lack of crossover in PMS). We have sold many many pairs, restored a few and replaced drive units. As noted by others the PMS/DMS name distinction was dropped in 1988 as all Isobariks were then supplied without the crossver. If the customer wanted to use them passively then they had to buy the crossover as an extra.

CJ
    Krescendo HiFi

6. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

There are however lots of differences between isobariks of different vintages.

stephen bennett likes this.
  7. rontoolsie

rontoolsie pfm Member

I vaguely recall that the crossoverless PMS retailed for a higher price than the crossovered DMS. This maybe was to cover the extra cost of higher complexity dealer installation as in those days the Linn/Naim second market was non existent as were sales even a penny less than the full RRP.

8. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

There were also a number of DMS modified to PMS on the "mod scene"..like our second set of Briks, which are currently being nicely driven by a full Linn setup (karik,numerik, kairn, aktiv,LK280)

We gave our old DMS Briks to friends:)

9. zoltm

zoltm pfm Member

Would some Brik experts, help to get a sense what are the vintage of the following pairs of Brik,

1. 33xx, 33xy
    2. 60xx,60xy

Thanks and best.

zoltm

10. Snowy0968

Snowy0968 New Member

Hi,
    Back on here after a long period away from being on any forums.

I have a beautiful pair of PMS active Isobariks, crossovers, full amplification options (Avondale SCC200) units all encased, everything supplied for the system.

They sound great, but I just don’t need them as they were given to me after my close friend died.

what the heck do I do with them…

11. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

I’ll PM my address. If you can cover the shipping cost too, that would be good.

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Make 49 more posts and you can sell them on here.

13. Snowy0968

Snowy0968 New Member

well I guess that sounds okay...49 more posts you say!

Okay...though by then I may have decided the specs is too valuable and put the whole lot on EBay, or others...

thanks for the tip.