advertisement

Linn Isobarik PMS vs DMS

zoltm

pfm Member
Dear Linn domain experts or any Linnie,

I have recently engaged with an audio buddy on a discussion regarding the sound quality of a pair of Linn PMS vs DMS.

It's the buddy's opinion that for Brik that is designated as "PMS" are the version made of specially selected drivers for professional application or delivery to studio.

For those Brik designated as DMS are "standard grade" drivers for domestic market delivery.

I want someone could shed some light on this regards.

Thanks.

zoltm.

It's a little bit simpler than that - the only difference is the presence or absence of a crossover. DMS has a crossover, and is passive, PMS does not, and is actively driven by three stereo, or six mono, amplifiers plus active crossover filters. Late production were neither DMS nor PMS, as the crossover was removable.

So base on your understanding, they are fundamentally the same speaker. Should not have any difference in driver's quality and hence sound quality.

Am I right?

It's a little bit simpler than that - the only difference is the presence or absence of a crossover. DMS has a crossover, and is passive, PMS does not, and is actively driven by three stereo, or six mono, amplifiers plus active crossover filters. Late production were neither DMS nor PMS, as the crossover was removable.

Yes they are identical (except for the lack of crossover in PMS). We have sold many many pairs, restored a few and replaced drive units. As noted by others the PMS/DMS name distinction was dropped in 1988 as all Isobariks were then supplied without the crossver. If the customer wanted to use them passively then they had to buy the crossover as an extra.

CJ
Krescendo HiFi

I vaguely recall that the crossoverless PMS retailed for a higher price than the crossovered DMS. This maybe was to cover the extra cost of higher complexity dealer installation as in those days the Linn/Naim second market was non existent as were sales even a penny less than the full RRP.

There were also a number of DMS modified to PMS on the "mod scene"..like our second set of Briks, which are currently being nicely driven by a full Linn setup (karik,numerik, kairn, aktiv,LK280)

We gave our old DMS Briks to friends:)

Hi,
Back on here after a long period away from being on any forums.

I have a beautiful pair of PMS active Isobariks, crossovers, full amplification options (Avondale SCC200) units all encased, everything supplied for the system.

They sound great, but I just don’t need them as they were given to me after my close friend died.

what the heck do I do with them…

Hi,
Back on here after a long period away from being on any forums.

I have a beautiful pair of PMS active Isobariks, crossovers, full amplification options (Avondale SCC200) units all encased, everything supplied for the system.

They sound great, but I just don’t need them as they were given to me after my close friend died.

what the heck do I do with them…
Make 49 more posts and you can sell them on here.

Make 49 more posts and you can sell them on here.

well I guess that sounds okay...49 more posts you say!

Okay...though by then I may have decided the specs is too valuable and put the whole lot on EBay, or others...

thanks for the tip.

advertisement

Back