Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linn Forum Information not being kept

Discussion in 'audio' started by Eyebroughty, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Received this email today from Linn when I asked what will happen to all the Linn Forum information.

Hi John,

Thank you for your e-mail.

You are correct, the Linn Forum is now closed and Hi-Fi Wigwam have opened a Linn page.

We have no plans to make the information from the Forums available.

If you require assistance with your system, you can contact the helpline directly for help.

Best Regards

Colin

Customer Support
    Linn Products Limited
    Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 7777
    Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
    Email: helpline@linn.co.uk

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Doesn’t surprise me. It would be a nightmare both from a GDPR perspective and from WigWam’s perspective of trying to import it. I don’t know the Linn forum at all, but if it had a specific FAQ or reference area I’d maybe try and port that anonymously (e.g. just screen-scrape specific product FAQs), but not go near the normal forum chatter stuff, user accounts etc.

3. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

There were some areas where help or technical information on some of Linn products was available, but not a lot.

Most of the information was people asking advice in threads, similar to here, so I suppose when it was looked at there would not be a huge amount of FAQ type information, more posts within threads that would be difficult to find and lift off, with some being very long and technical in content.

4. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

The sceptic (or skeptik) in me could think that shutting down a forum and deleting all the knowledge built up could be a good way of forcing people to upgrade or replace kit when they are unable to find answers to their problems.

vicdiaz likes this.
  5. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

They are going to lose a lot of relevant traffic, for example, stuff like 'replacing cartridge for LP12', the Linn Forum ranks #1. In the long run they are going to lose out on getting people to the site with needs-based / technical queries. I can't see people moving over to HiFi Wigwam en-masse, that forum died years ago IMHO.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I doubt it is that cynical. Forums take a heck of a lot of time and effort to run and I suspect Linn just got tired of how much employee time it no doubt sucked. The information will be widely available, I doubt there are many Linn questions you couldn’t ask here and get a pretty definitive answer. They are a major player in the audio, as such much knowledge exists in the public domain.

Yomanze likes this.
  7. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I don’t know. I suspect that a large part of the reason the Linn forum was so lightly moderated was because it just wasn’t observed by moderators very much.

A lot of the Linn forum was pretty banal, not unlike the Naim forum and (as with all forums) some questions were asked and answered in a cyclical manner.

8. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

As most, over 90%, of all questions, were answered by forum dwellers, and of the 10 remaining percent, Linn employees maybe answered half of them, I'd say that most knowledge by far is in the public domain.
    The problem, for Linn, is that the information is now scattered, and people will get non-Linn answers as well.

Linn really didn't do that much to keep their forums alive, that really boiled down to a relatively small group of enthusiasts. And as YNWOAN suggests, quite a large number of questions were cyclical, although the answers did change over time.

9. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

10. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Very wrong, the forum members contributed much more than the Linn manuals or doc ever could and often on many issues not related to the Linn equipment directly.

11. savvypaul

savvypaul Active Member

Maybe they will give you your money back... ;)

12. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Other manufacturers seem to get along fine without providing a platform for a few silly dealers and some rather wacky ideas. If the manuals are not adequate, they are poorly written. The Linn forum was a negative which put people off the brand IMO. Yuk.

13. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

Which dealers are you referring to? I never noticed that there were that many dealers at the Linn forums.
    I'm also curious about the wacky ideas, but that may be a less productive subject, so let's skip that.

14. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

Nah, not really, really a lot of information was generic, not device specific. Information on why people would be better off using mimim over kazoo server for instance, or why it would be quite expensive, and probably not the best idea to buy a DS(M), if you'd plan to use another DAC.
    Okay, I'm teasing you here, but really, both of them have been real discussions.

Also, a lot of people were really enthousiastic about the latest DACs, so all those recommendations are gone as well.

15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

16. Joolzdee

Joolzdee pfm Member

17. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

It only archives about 300 - 400 pages at most, so it's just a tiny fraction of what was available.

18. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Yes, but Peter Swains LP12 set up overview is worth archiving and it seems to be there at the moment.