advertisement

Linn Forum Information not being kept

Received this email today from Linn when I asked what will happen to all the Linn Forum information.

Hi John,

Thank you for your e-mail.

You are correct, the Linn Forum is now closed and Hi-Fi Wigwam have opened a Linn page.

We have no plans to make the information from the Forums available.

If you require assistance with your system, you can contact the helpline directly for help.

Best Regards

Colin

Customer Support
Linn Products Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 7777
Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
Email: [email protected]

Doesn’t surprise me. It would be a nightmare both from a GDPR perspective and from WigWam’s perspective of trying to import it. I don’t know the Linn forum at all, but if it had a specific FAQ or reference area I’d maybe try and port that anonymously (e.g. just screen-scrape specific product FAQs), but not go near the normal forum chatter stuff, user accounts etc.

There were some areas where help or technical information on some of Linn products was available, but not a lot.

Most of the information was people asking advice in threads, similar to here, so I suppose when it was looked at there would not be a huge amount of FAQ type information, more posts within threads that would be difficult to find and lift off, with some being very long and technical in content.

The sceptic (or skeptik) in me could think that shutting down a forum and deleting all the knowledge built up could be a good way of forcing people to upgrade or replace kit when they are unable to find answers to their problems.

They are going to lose a lot of relevant traffic, for example, stuff like 'replacing cartridge for LP12', the Linn Forum ranks #1. In the long run they are going to lose out on getting people to the site with needs-based / technical queries. I can't see people moving over to HiFi Wigwam en-masse, that forum died years ago IMHO.

The sceptic (or skeptik) in me could think that shutting down a forum and deleting all the knowledge built up could be a good way of forcing people to upgrade or replace kit when they are unable to find answers to their problems.

I doubt it is that cynical. Forums take a heck of a lot of time and effort to run and I suspect Linn just got tired of how much employee time it no doubt sucked. The information will be widely available, I doubt there are many Linn questions you couldn’t ask here and get a pretty definitive answer. They are a major player in the audio, as such much knowledge exists in the public domain.

I don’t know. I suspect that a large part of the reason the Linn forum was so lightly moderated was because it just wasn’t observed by moderators very much.

A lot of the Linn forum was pretty banal, not unlike the Naim forum and (as with all forums) some questions were asked and answered in a cyclical manner.

I doubt it is that cynical. Forums take a heck of a lot of time and effort to run and I suspect Linn just got tired of how much employee time it no doubt sucked. The information will be widely available, I doubt there are many Linn questions you couldn’t ask here and get a pretty definitive answer. They are a major player in the audio, as such much knowledge exists in the public domain.
As most, over 90%, of all questions, were answered by forum dwellers, and of the 10 remaining percent, Linn employees maybe answered half of them, I'd say that most knowledge by far is in the public domain.
The problem, for Linn, is that the information is now scattered, and people will get non-Linn answers as well.

Linn really didn't do that much to keep their forums alive, that really boiled down to a relatively small group of enthusiasts. And as YNWOAN suggests, quite a large number of questions were cyclical, although the answers did change over time.

Other manufacturers seem to get along fine without providing a platform for a few silly dealers and some rather wacky ideas. If the manuals are not adequate, they are poorly written. The Linn forum was a negative which put people off the brand IMO. Yuk.

Other manufacturers seem to get along fine without providing a platform for a few silly dealers and some rather wacky ideas. If the manuals are not adequate, they are poorly written. The Linn forum was a negative which put people off the brand IMO. Yuk.

Which dealers are you referring to? I never noticed that there were that many dealers at the Linn forums.
I'm also curious about the wacky ideas, but that may be a less productive subject, so let's skip that.

Nah, not really, really a lot of information was generic, not device specific. Information on why people would be better off using mimim over kazoo server for instance, or why it would be quite expensive, and probably not the best idea to buy a DS(M), if you'd plan to use another DAC.
Okay, I'm teasing you here, but really, both of them have been real discussions.

Also, a lot of people were really enthousiastic about the latest DACs, so all those recommendations are gone as well.

Yes, but Peter Swains LP12 set up overview is worth archiving and it seems to be there at the moment.

advertisement

Back