advertisement

Linn Ekos2 v Naim Aro

Interesting debate this. It seems to me that vinyl replay always requires compromises and/or assumptions with respect to design, setup and/or alignment. The ARO presents a unique set of compromises, but then so does every other arm. There is no absolute right or wrong to this. If the ARO is for you, then you will be comfortable with the choices made by the designers and the inherent compromises. If you choose an alternative arm, then you opt for an alternate set of design choices and compromises.

FWIW I run an ARO and think it is a magnificent arm. In the past I have enjoyed SMEs, Regas and Rega clones (inter alia) on other decks with fixed and detachable headshells and slots...

Great post, htm - spot on! :)

Regards,

Andy

That was my understanding, the way it's drilled means you can't get the fit wrong, not so good for some other carts.

This is from the time when Linn and Naim were pals.

yes.

i was told it was for ease of setup with the cartridge that naim recommended in 'their' system - the troika.

it meant less faff for the dealer and the phono cards would be a known accurate match.

naim always have in mind a system approach - it's what makes them so good.

randoms mean things out of their hands and they may not be able to gurantee the expected performance.

i don't think they ever really pushed the aro... many naim dealers probably never even stocked one.

I moved to an Ekos II (bought second hand as a mk I and then updated via Linn) from an Ittok and think the Ekos is a great arm but would have loved to hear an Aro in my system at some point just to hear how much better/different/worse it might be, although with occasionally wobbly hands and a taste for wine I think gimbal arms are a smarter choice than unipivots for me...

Mick

Not all UPs are wobbly. I have a Notts Omega, no wobbles there and a decent arm lift mechanism. Sounds great too, I prefer it to an Ittok on an LP12.

I moved to an Ekos II (bought second hand as a mk I and then updated via Linn) from an Ittok and think the Ekos is a great arm but would have loved to hear an Aro in my system at some point just to hear how much better/different/worse it might be, although with occasionally wobbly hands and a taste for wine I think gimbal arms are a smarter choice than unipivots for me...

Mick

The ARO requires a few practice runs (best done very, very sober and in full daylight ;)) after this, the usual drunken usage can take place. I've used mine in all sorts of states of refreshment :D without negative impact (on the arm and cartridge at least).

Probably guaranteed to wreck the cartridge tonight now.....:rolleyes:

There's a knack to the Aro. I used my right little finger, pointing back towards me, then hooked under the finger-lift from "behind" the headshell.

There's a knack to the Aro. I used my right little finger, pointing back towards me, then hooked under the finger-lift from "behind" the headshell.

That can work, but I've seen a dealer use that technique and poke the ARO firmly leading to the arm shooting across the record. His reaction was restrained (Ahhhhh Fuggit), while my mate and I fell about the place (discretely of course) laughing.

Grunt of the Ekos and finesse of the Aro?

Suits you, sir ...

8646027104_57c73166e9_z.jpg

Mr Tibbs

Reactions: VTA
That can work, but I've seen a dealer use that technique and poke the ARO firmly leading to the arm shooting across the record. His reaction was restrained (Ahhhhh Fuggit), while my mate and I fell about the place (discretely of course) laughing.

LOL. No such worries with the SME V.

[BTW, I should notify you that my 52 is no longer really a 52, although it still looks like one. If still interested in hearing the ATCs, you are still welcome to come.]

Interesting as I have both arms and two LP12s

Not easy to compare directly as the Aro has a DV20H the Ekos 2 an Arkiv B

Time to thin the herd so which one should I keep?

The Aro is about 23 years old in excellent condition SN 69xxx (late 1990)

The Ekos about 10 years old a Silver dot SN 93xx (2003)

LP12/Aro or LP12/Ekos 2

I am aware that Aros ate making decent money atm

Interesting as I have both arms and two LP12s

Not easy to compare directly as the Aro has a DV20H the Ekos 2 an Arkiv B

Time to thin the herd so which one should I keep?

The Aro is about 23 years old in excellent condition SN 69xxx (late 1990)

The Ekos about 10 years old a Silver dot SN 93xx (2003)

LP12/Aro or LP12/Ekos 2

I am aware that Aros ate making decent money atm

Don't listen to anyone else! You're going to have to make your own mind up, I reckon...

Mick

Only the OP's ears can decide. I know some who prefer the Ekos over the Aro. I know some who prefer the Aro over the Ekos.

I could never entertain an Aro. The feel and finish are like something cobbled together for £25 from a parts bin- it always struck me as overpriced by a factor of three and no cartridge adjustment in the headshell either.
By comparison the Ekos is a beautiful machine and when I first bought one 26 years ago it was blatantly better than the Ittok

The Ekos came in a nice wooden box too.

Naim kit always look like you're not getting much for your money. It is always explained away that the parts may look cheap but they had to buy truckloads of them and hand select the best ones. Maybe they had to corner the arrow shaft market.

Then again if they can make 25 quids worth of parts sound like another which cost 250 pounds to make, more power to them...

The finish of the Aro is actually very good and it is very well machined and anodised (not painted as many other arms are). In the case of the Aro (and all other small production arms), the problem isn't that lots of parts have to be bought (this is being confused with the selection of electronic components), it's exactly the opposite. The problem is that only small batches are built and economies of scale are minimal or non-existent. The actual tube used for the arm will be one of the lowest cost components on most arms (including the Ekos) because it requires little machining or finishing and is made in large quantities. The omission of cartridge slots in the headshell has nothing to do with cost and is a design decision - whether one likes that decision is another matter.

advertisement

Back