advertisement

Linn bloody Linn

I suppose eventually even a Lingo 4 will be unrepairable by Linn. Obviously at present it's a current model so presumably when they change it, 7 years from that date. I’ve had mine since 2020 I think.

Obviously any good engineer could change the capacitors as it's a basic job with a rework station but even tt's aren’t immune!

Although I expect it will be the Lingo X by then!😂

0XVNr9p.jpeg

pIikY0k.jpeg

They obviously borrowed the PSU from the Radikal.

9ERLYQn.jpeg
I am having a mare with my Linn kit, Brilliant power supplies collapsed x 2 and the display board on my toroidal Kairn.

Begging for data from Linn is like pleading with Caligula for your life in the Coliseum.

I was told that from October everything back from Exakt will be unrepairable. Whilst Linn have schematics they will not release them for redundant kit and don't even want to talk about SMPSs.

I was told dealers 'may' let 'us' have copies of schematics but they doubt it as dealers don't fix Linn kit they just return it to the manufacturer (to bin).

Great policy from a British 'high end' hifi manufacturer unlike Naim, Quad, Rega etc etc etc.

It was like talking to Apple Care.

'Just buy some new kit, you can't take it with you you know'.

Pillocks.

Good luck

Yesterday I was told that the Brilliant SMPS with the same model number comes in 4 variants which are not interchangeable and 'swopping' them about will result in failure. The hifi is 30 years old, things have moved on, just buy some new stuff. (given everything back from Exakt will not be repairable (by Linn) from October (is that Oktobr in Linn), heaven help you all and I hope you have a spare £50k to spaff against the hifi wall! I haven't.

HAS ANYONE GOT A SCHEMATIC FOR THE CIRCULAR BRILLIANT? There are some resistor values in there that make no sense whatsoever. And, as I was given bonkers values for some SMD caps by Linn (after begging) I now find they are just C1206 22uf 50v ceramics.

Pissing us (me) about doesn't make me buy new Linn kit (even if I won the Lotto), this kind of attitude just makes me an even grumpier and more determined old man!

Straight from the horses mouth......

'Clyde built, built to last, you do something, do it right, make it repairable, make it upgradeable, make it for a long life'
🤣

I was told that from October everything back from Exakt will be unrepairable. It was like talking to Apple Care.
We've had Apple stuff in the past and been down the repair rabbit hole. Wouldn't buy an Apple product again. There is no need, other people make consumer electronics. Same with Linn. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Except for the LP12 of course which Linn have lost their grip on.

Straight from the horses mouth......

'Clyde built, built to last, you do something, do it right, make it repairable, make it upgradeable, make it for a long life'
🤣
It's a bit like a financial dick contest, depends what the definition of long is. I measure in feet, they measure in millimetres

30 year support is more than reasonable. I’m sure there’s lots of high end kit which is no longer supported.
I would agree with an exception, 'they' are not supporting any of the kit I could afford to replace the Kairn with, none of it, up to very reasonable times (I see preamps for sale at £4k plus, from Linn dealers (not new) and they are on the 'can't be fixed' list coming out at the back end of the year (and the dealer admits it).

Naim kit - fixable way back, Quad ditto, even 22 a 2 11, all serviceable and still being manufactured today (latter albeit not Quad), ELS - fixable. NAD - fixable, Rega - fixable, Sugden - fixable, etc etc etc.

Now, DS, 51's, Exotic, Exakt - stuffed, really, and Linn said don't try to get anyone to fix a 5103, can't be done.

Be a Linn excusenik as much as you want but if any of the 'old school' hifi manufacturers are reading all this stuff on PFM or other sites they will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Buy Linn, short term customer support product destined for the bin or, buy a detached holiday home in Europe (which will be cheaper in lumps), your choice

I would agree with an exception, 'they' are not supporting any of the kit I could afford to replace the Kairn with, none of it, up to very reasonable times (I see preamps for sale at £4k plus, from Linn dealers (not new) and they are on the 'can't be fixed' list coming out at the back end of the year (and the dealer admits it).

Naim kit - fixable way back, Quad ditto, even 22 a 2 11, all serviceable and still being manufactured today (latter albeit not Quad), ELS - fixable. NAD - fixable, Rega - fixable, Sugden - fixable, etc etc etc.

Now, DS, 51's, Exotic, Exakt - stuffed, really, and Linn said don't try to get anyone to fix a 5103, can't be done.

Be a Linn excusenik as much as you want but if any of the 'old school' hifi manufacturers are reading all this stuff on PFM or other sites they will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Buy Linn, short term customer support product destined for the bin or, buy a detached holiday home in Europe (which will be cheaper in lumps), your choice
How old kit are you talking about though? It’s pretty pointless raging about it when there are options elsewhere. Some older kit just isn’t really worth repairing when it is out performed by more modern gear.

Linn seem to be very good on the DSM side with retrospective upgrades & software updates. They’ve just moved in a different direction which happens & they are within their right to do so. Lots of companies just no longer exist as they’ve not changed with the times.

Linn seem to be very good on the DSM side with retrospective upgrades & software updates. They’ve just moved in a different direction which happens & they are within their right to do so. Lots of companies just no longer exist as they’ve not changed with the times.
Debatable, my Linn Akurate DS- warranty run out end of last or beginning of this year - won’t play high resolution files from Tidal , reported few times , tickets opened - been ignored . Sent them another snarky email couple weeks ago , this time got reply - it’s Tidal fault and there would be no resolution to this.
I guess there is no more money to be had from Akurate range hence no support.

Debatable, my Linn Akurate DS- warranty run out end of last or beginning of this year - won’t play high resolution files from Tidal , reported few times , tickets opened - been ignored . Sent them another snarky email couple weeks ago , this time got reply - it’s Tidal fault and there would be no resolution to this.
My Sekrit DSM is still supported with software updates. Plays everything I want to and sounds great.
'Snarky' emails are unlikely to get a good response.

Like I said, Linn have always been like this. There isn't a lot of point in moaning about it. You should do your homework on expensive prospective products before parting with the cash. If it became common knowledge that Linn are not interested in supporting ling term customers and sales dropped they might get the message. I doubt it but you never know.

I was owner of the same kit as yours.
Decades back they wouldn't help either.
A pity as it was great sounding kit.
Buy new they told me - fcuck them.
Never again.

I went with Naim again, this time with their top end CD players.
Soon I realised the new owners didn't care for after service of these rather expensive boxes.

I am now short of Linn kit
Still with my Naim amps
Went to Rega with Aethos/Saturn and a Planar, as they seem to take customer support seriously.

Based on this...

...which states... "However, Tidal Hi-Res streams are very computationally intensive. Our earlier products will struggle decoding and playing back these Hi-Res files. Until Tidal can address this intense stream issue, from Davaar105, these earlier products will have limited sample rate of Hi-Res streams (CD quality and higher)."

...they give a list of "earlier products" which covers their entire DS/DSM range up until 2018...

...due to them using the "CORE1 processor".

It is hard to see what Linn can do at this point if their product genuinely doesn't have enough CPU power to do the decoding given how Tidal present the data.

C

advertisement

Back