advertisement

Linn bloody Linn

d16b

pfm Member
Call it an FYI moment and a grumpy old man's moan.

I have been struggling with repairs of SMPS 'Brilliant' on my Karik, Numerik and Kairn, they all gave up the ghost within 6m of each other.

Struggle is the word but thank heaven for Pinkfish and those who contribute on line.

Because of that I got one Brilliant fixed so my Karik is working but the Numerik and Kairn are still dead regardless of both their power supplies being 'fixed' (values are ok) (don't listen to you nuclear physicist son warning you off, provided you use PROPER cap discharge systems and
measure with your left hand in your pocket and feet on a wooden floor. I understand his worry (I have electrocuted myself and his research companion died when a HUGE cap was thought to be discharged (having been removed from an instrument) and it wasn't). He bought me a pair of pink 10,000v skin coloured gloves for the next time I changed a mains ceramic fuse!

My Kairn's death appears to be down to an area of cooked circuitry around the battery in the display board. With the Numerik, my research continues.

Anyway long story short. No schematics with true values available. SMC's all have values on with the exception of the capacitors (some of which are very clearly cooked along with a 1001 resistor). So a call to Linn to see what I could find out about the little beige blocks was a nightmare. I managed to beg 3 values form them for identifiable locations on the board. Effectively, unless I misunderstood:

1. Everything before Akurate is now redundant and unrepairable (by Linn) and Akurate and others are falling off the fixable list shortly.

2. Linn don't release diagrams/values (they don't want people touching their kit - for safety or?) at best - ask a dealer they may let you have one.

3. Caps appear to be Linn's little secret that they hang onto like grim death. Effectively, without values and current we all know what that means.

4. I asked about 5103's, DS to replace the Kairn etc - Linn's advice don't buy second hand they are now totally beyond repair and if you think fixing a Kairn is difficult those are impossible spend £9k on new one. Their words included 'and LK are totally unrepairable now).

5. It wasn't just Akurate but another model that will shortly be dropping off the repairable list.

6. I should have remembered that when my Sizmik died I was told by Linn to buy a new one, I opened the amp and saw it was a Mosfet that had blown. I asked Linn and was told it was unobtainium and as such, dead. I found an online photo of board, took the component number, ordered the Mosfet from a electronics firm and that simple replacement saved me thousands (I'd bought a temporary REL as a standing!).

Being told that Linn will now be making their own chips (aka Apple) and their top end bursting through the bugger me price barrier doesn't fill me with anything like glee

How many people have anything like £100k of disposable income which will have to be replaced relatively shorty (in hifi terms) in the Scottish world of unobtainium parts etc?

Real question, is Linn the ONLY UK high end hi-fi manufacturer that is of the opinion people have the money to buy tens of thousands of pounds on exotic kit, have known vulnerabilities and have to be written off when a component blows when firms such as Quad, Naim, NAD, YBA etc etc are all eminently serviceable/repairable?

From a hifi point of view, my recollection of British culture is one of trading up as funds, experience, understanding and high end disposable income increases.

I started my hifi journey at 12 with pocket money purchasing Goldring Lenco, Shure, Rogers and Wharfdale. I moved on from there seeking the
best with many exotic and many stupid purchases (like getting rid of vinyl for both Mission and Quad CD's). I have many sad memories of kit I traded that I wish I hadn't - Transcriptors Reference, a REAL misery from trading up from Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck to LP12 (I lost my deep 3d imagery - it was the only deck I've had that did that (yes, the LP12 is a very musical replacement but just variant of the TD150 (another one I owned, like Ariston), then there was the FAMCO Nuance preamp, my Spendor BC's, my SME 3009, my Audiolab, my IMF transmission lines etc etc (all still recommended kit and all very repairable)

Oh and no, if any part of my formerly many £k kit is to be replaced it will NEVER be with ANY new LINN kit even IF I won the lottery

Talk about a manufacturer alienating a client base

It's like Brexit, a real Ratners moment to me.

Your recent experiences seem to tie in quite well with @Tony L thread “right to repair”.
If a company wants to keep schematics/component values etc “secret” that is up to them. But, the purchaser should bear this in mind when buying equipment.

Perhaps an “ease of repair” label/rating system is needed when buying any consumer eelectronics (or cars etc) so that the purchaser can make an informed decision?

Your recent experiences seem to tie in quite well with @Tony L thread “right to repair”.
If a company wants to keep schematics/component values etc “secret” that is up to them. But, the purchaser should bear this in mind when buying equipment.

Perhaps an “ease of repair” label/rating system is needed when buying any consumer eelectronics (or cars etc) so that the purchaser can make an informed decision?
I'm now in France (and old).

The EU (sorry if you voted for Brexit) keep a right to repair but that period fits with the Linn 'unobtainium' fix I got from them.

Here, in my town, the government has opened a walk in shop. 15€ a year, coffee bar, computer wizards, electronics wizards, 3d printing by material weight, laser cutting, thermal printing etc etc. Experts appear on set days and will instruct you and guide you into using the kit and repairing stuff.

Mint.

And in refuse centres all stuff is recycled. It's free, sorting bags are free (collections every other week), my 'mate' rescued a YBA 6k CD player to renovate (I replaced the broken drive belt for him) lucky sod.

Good idea, but it rather depends on the fault that actually presents itself. I've just had an Audi break down because a crankshaft pulley failed. It literally fell off and dumped me at a service station on the M6. It's repairable and not too disastrous, however it's a far cry from the days of fixing a fan belt with a pair of tights as everyone reckons they did at least once. The thing is though that 70s cars might have been easier to mend, even at the side of the road, but they bloody well had to be because you were rebuilding them most sodding weekends. These day, who does? When was the last time you lifted the bonnet? Weeks go by and even then it's screenwash and if you are lucky an idle poke around fluids and check nothing has fallen off. My car has done 200k miles in order for the rubber in the pulley to fail. I've had the car 40k miles/3 years and it hasn't needed so much as a fanbelt in the drivebelt and pulleys area at least. How many cars in the 70s got to 100k miles, much less 200k? So it comes down to frequency, likelihood of a failure and then the cost and complexity. If I told you that you could have a sealed unit car engine that would be rock reliable to 500k miles, tiny failure rate, but that when it failed it was done, you'd be all ears. I know I would. It's not going to get to 500k miles, so I don't care. Now if I drove a truck, it would be a different proposal. 500k miles is normal service life, you would have to factor it in.
In terms of hifi some things have a life. Speakers dry up, I've just had a couple of drivers die on a pair of mine but they are 40+ years old. CD lasers fail. A right to repair is fair enugh but there comes a point with most things where everything eventually wears out, and you should factor that in. A butcher's knife needs to be sharpened, obviously, but if he uses it every day for 10 years then he might reasonably expect to need to replace it.

Last edited:
If someone with a 40 year old car that had never had its oil changed complained about the manufacturer when it developed a fault you'd quite rightly think them a little weird.

……..

Here, in my town, the government has opened a walk in shop. 15€ a year, coffee bar, computer wizards, electronics wizards, 3d printing by material weight, laser cutting, thermal printing etc etc. Experts appear on set days and will instruct you and guide you into using the kit and repairing stuff.

Mint.

And in refuse centres all stuff is recycled. It's free, sorting bags are free (collections every other week), my 'mate' rescued a YBA 6k CD player to renovate (I replaced the broken drive belt for him) lucky sod.
Brilliant ideas/initiatives 👍

"...Oh and no, if any part of my formerly many £k kit is to be replaced it will NEVER be with ANY new LINN kit even IF I won the lottery

Talk about a manufacturer alienating a client base..."

+1 (100%)

The LINN approach reminds me of the Disneyland theme-park antics when anyone balks at paying $20 for an ice cream on a stick.

"Sir reserves the right to NOT make a purchase..." was the response I heard.

Talk about short-term thinking! 😂

Sadly, unless they change their approach, I predict that in the fullness of time, LINN will (finally) evaporate into the same dark cloud that inhaled ARISTON, SYSTEMDEK and LOGIC, not to mention TOYS R US, MAPLIN, BORDERS BOOKS and dozens of other (now defunct) market-leading brands.

The good news is that every item on our beloved LP12 turntable can be procured elsewhere, usually more cheaply and IMHO, occasionally more effectively - and it's a doddle to work on. So, we're covered.

By contrast, LINN's budget-focused competitor REGA seems to be still going strong. And REGA's unique commitment to long-term customer service seems to be going from strength to strength.

If REGA's ROY GANDY can find a sincere successor - who is genuinely on-board with his (unique) formula for success - I feel sure that REGA will still be doing the business, for decades to come.

As for LINN? Let's see... 😑

So how exactly do you change the oil on a Karik or Kairn?
I have had both apart and I couldn’t find the sump.
silly me….
Totally agree with David Ellwood.

Jazzer, get a life. Linn don't 'service' their kit. In fairness Naim do. The analogy with a car is, to put it bluntly, total bollocks.

Many owners do 'oil changes' with replacement caps and cooking off resistors, mosfets etc to keep their kit up to spec and running.

Brilliant ideas/initiatives 👍
The 'tip' and village town halls issue blue and yellow recycling bags (for free) all tinned, plastic, carton waste is sorted and put in the bags which are collected every fortnight - no cost for bags, no cost for collections.

Going to 'tips' is free, multi-skips offer dumping areas for: vegetation/garden waste, rubble, general waste, metals, soils, oils, plastic containers, batteries, cardboard, paint, electrical items, toxic chemicals, clothing, glass bottles etc etc All are recycled - it's free.

Useable kit is moved to a big recycling centre where it is packaged and moved on, anything repairable is and sold in the outlets shop, everything from clothing, furniture and everything in-between. Electronics and furniture are 'renovated' in training programs, the former is given months of guarantee and pat tested.

Great system.

My mate 'recycled' a 'donated' YBA CD player (6€k worth) for nothing (broken drive belt).

Good idea, but it rather depends on the fault that actually presents itself. I've just had an Audi break down because a crankshaft pulley failed. It literally fell off and dumped me at a service station on the M6. It's repairable and not too disastrous, however it's a far cry from the days of fixing a fan belt with a pair of tights as everyone reckons they did at least once. The thing is though that 70s cars might have been easier to mend, even at the side of the road, but they bloody well had to be because you were rebuilding them most sodding weekends. These day, who does? When was the last time you lifted the bonnet? Weeks go by and even then it's screenwash and if you are lucky an idle poke around fluids and check nothing has fallen off. My car has done 200k miles in order for the rubber in the pulley to fail. I've had the car 40k miles/3 years and it hasn't needed so much as a fanbelt in the drivebelt and pulleys area at least. How many cars in the 70s got to 100k miles, much less 200k? So it comes down to frequency, likelihood of a failure and then the cost and complexity. If I told you that you could have a sealed unit car engine that would be rock reliable to 500k miles, tiny failure rate, but that when it failed it was done, you'd be all ears. I know I would. It's not going to get to 500k miles, so I don't care. Now if I drove a truck, it would be a different proposal. 500k miles is normal service life, you would have to factor it in.
In terms of hifi some things have a life. Speakers dry up, I've just had a couple of drivers die on a pair of mine but they are 40+ years old. CD lasers fail. A right to repair is fair enugh but there comes a point with most things where everything eventually wears out, and you should factor that in. A butcher's knife needs to be sharpened, obviously, but if he uses it every day for 10 years then he might reasonably expect to need to replace it.
1. If you don't maintain your car (I do) don't check belts/pulleys etc (I do) don't check lifespan of belts and replace when necessary (I do) don't use the correct oils when there is a turbo (I do) your car will break down but be expensive to fix, it DOESN'T need to be consigned to the scrap yard at 9 years old and a new one bought.

2. Same applies to hifi. Caps dry up, easy to replace if you know what you are doing. Resistors cook as do Mosfets (if not correctly heat compensated) like Linn don't. Caps dry up when manufacturers cut cost use 85c instead of 105c (Linn does that).

3. Speaker 'cones' don't dry out - suspension surround do and they are cheap and easy to replace - like tyres, they age out and should be replaced even if you think they look ok, like I do. Change dates are on the tyre wall.

4. Lasers - peanuts, easy to replace and calibrate.

5. Butchers knives last as long as they have a blade and you can buy knives hundreds of years old.

6. British hi-fi has a long history of being reliable and repairable. Quad, Naim, NAD to name a few.

7. Lowther have been round forever and their speakers are all serviceable and undateable. Quad electrostatic speaker from the 50's totally fixable, Quad valve amps from the 50's totally repairable and, still being made (albeit copies of them).

So I don't accept your analogies.

A few years ago we had a council run waste/recycling centre nearby (beautiful area “AONB” - Shotley peninsular) it was free to use.
local authority sold it off to private company who charged for its use. Roadside/hedgerow tipping seems to have increased - perhaps related to change?
wonderful to hear of your village system @d16b

edit : classic thread drift :)

Are you suggesting that opening the bonnet and ‘looking for signs of deterioration’ will be also work on your 40 year old car example?!
If you can't see a bulging cap, a cooked off resistor or know how to check values on a mosfet carry on buying your £100 boom box form tesco

What's it worth not working ?
What's it worth if the makers won't touch it ?
What's if worth if the makers won't give any data ?
Nice ornament .

A few years ago we had a council run waste/recycling centre nearby (beautiful area “AONB” - Shotley peninsular) it was free to use.
local authority sold it off to private company who charged for its use. Roadside/hedgerow tipping seems to have increased - perhaps related to change?
wonderful to hear of your village system @d16b
Middle of nowhere, roads re-surfaced / top dressed every 3 years, no potholes, marking replaced and on the plateau above wind turbines are breeding like rabbits.

The math on the latter (I worked on projects in the UK). In my day £500k to put one up. Year 1 it paid for itself. Year 2 it paid for turbine 2 to be constructed. Year three anon - profit.

Are you suggesting that opening the bonnet and ‘looking for signs of deterioration’ will be also work on your 40 year old car example?!
Clearly not mechanically minded are you.

Weekly checks of: radiator caps (looking for emulsion deposits), corrosion of battery terminals, tension of belts, oil level, oil pressure, tyre pressures and condition (side walls, tread depth, carcass damage), water levels (washer/cooling), brake fluid/ power steering fluid levels, rust and if you have a brain, play in wheel bearings, wiper blades, lights etc etc

But then again, those of us who do want to live a bit longer or not kill someone. Those who don't break down in new and old vehicles and sometimes die for their troubles. I used to deal with and pick the bodies out of wrecks.

Construction and Use regulations exist because every item listed is listed because 'broken and warn' kit HAS killed people.

Even a simple wiper blade and indicator bulb

advertisement

Back