advertisement

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

There are good and bad SMPS's, just as there are good and bad linear PSUs, and if you want....
How much of this mush actually couples into your HiFi is another matter, but to me, replacing (or just turning off) the worst offenders seems like good housekeeping.
Not if “worst offenders” are identified by vague assumption and they are replaced by products which are only vaguely assumed to perform better.
Especially if not CE certified.

So much neurosis and self disbelief - what’s so difficult to comprehend? It’s made a very positive difference ..... and what’s a CE certificate outside the U.K.? Is the rest of the world going to burn down... ?

Not if “worst offenders” are identified by vague assumption and they are replaced by products which are only vaguely assumed to perform better.
Especially if not CE certified.
I am not advocating retail therapy as a solution (or DIY unless you really understand how to do it safely), and I wouldn't suggest changing anything that isn't noisy. There are plenty of SMPS out there that are well designed and not noisy at all, and a whole lot more that are bad.

There’s an interesting thread on computer audiophile where various eBay Lpsus are measured with predictable results.

Yes i have it split into 3 shared folders, M:Music, V:Videos and 1 for P:pics
Can't say the pics sound any better, no..... then again my music doesn't look and different either

So much neurosis and self disbelief - what’s so difficult to comprehend? It’s made a very positive difference ..... and what’s a CE certificate outside the U.K.? Is the rest of the world going to burn down... ?

What I find difficult to believe is on one hand, you are supposed to have an Audionet amp that is totally immune to any switching / digital nasties, yet an improvement has been heard. Without a doubt the new PSU is not improving the signal, but it will be reducing switching noise into the mains. How audible this might be would be extremely system and mains dependent.

Anyhow, the point of this little gamble was to see if an LPSU makes a difference to a server, which it absolutely does. Now it's time to investigate further....

What makes you so sure the SMPS nasties where not entering the 5V rail in the USB output on the NAS thus going to the DAC>analog out?

Yes, a potential issue, which is why I interrupt my +5V rail with a dedicated linear supply, however, I don't think your unit is self-powered, like my USB to SPDIF converter is, so +5V shouldn't even be connected?

advertisement

Back