advertisement

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

I've just added one of these to my NAS and router, arrived today, luckily they both use 12v and this PSU has dual outputs. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50VA-HIFI-Ultra-low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-DC5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-24V-LPS-PSU/273372400529?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 £69 to my door...

Quality is high, proper 5A linear PSU, I've whipped the lid off to inspect and its exactly as shown in the pic.

Amazes me how they can produce these in the east for less than the price of a half decent USB cable ;-)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
well considering my then switching QNAP PSU was quietly chirping away, YES, it's actually made a very noticeable difference. Defo sounds better.

The symbol would make all the difference wouldn't it, as it does with all those in the world of DIY, and probably add c£300 to the RRP once sold by a UK seller...
An earth to chassis tag can be added for what, 20p?

Last edited:
I have always been concerned by the 220/230v ratings for these power supplies and avoided them.They are great value for money and I'm sure they perform very well if not a little hot.

I’ve changed the PSUs on my network switch as my LPSU has multiple rail outputs and so it didn’t cost any more to do. I wonder if any perceived improvements are down to the removal of nasty, cheap wall-wart PSUs (which may have been having some kind of effect on the sound?) rather than anything inherently ‘better’ in the LPSU.

Which LPSU have you added John?

Well my system which has a NAS/router front end is now all linear, so no SMPS's in the chain apart from the TV which is connected to the amps DAC via optical.

There used to be some sort of rule on this forum about promoting mains products which didn’t meet CE safety regs. Perhaps that has been relaxed. Apart from that, and the problem that there no reason to replace the psu on a nas and router, there is no reason to suppose that this performs any better than a switching psu.
Why bother other than in response to hobby compulsion?

There are good and bad SMPS's, just as there are good and bad linear PSUs, and if you want to get rid of all electrically noisy devices in your house, it doesn't stop there. Many light bulbs are noisy, especially those nasty CFLs, as well as some, but not all LEDs. iPhone chargers aren't too good either, and there are a host of other sources of mains pollution. How much of this mush actually couples into your HiFi is another matter, but to me, replacing (or just turning off) the worst offenders seems like good housekeeping.

advertisement

Back