advertisement

Lincolnshire tatties are the best there are*

miktec

retired
.... make far tastier chips than the ones I had in Wales

(just to give the thread a controversial edge...)

*Marchbanks made me do it - wasn't my idea, honest

For what?

Chips, mash, roasties, boiling, rosti, spud guns or block printing?

It is 99.99% down to variety, not terroir.

Each use/cooking method will generally be ebtter with some rather than others.

Try making roasties or chips from Maris Peer of Charlotte. Try making potato salad with Cara or King Edward.

Endless variables in one field, fertiliser, dry matter, age, sugar levels, variety; place of production is one little variable.

A young King Edward can be a lovely new potato; three months later the plant can give a great masher or chipper which then might bake perfectly after another six months.

We're on twice cooked minted Gemson tonight.

Cue old joke. Bloke on market stall with load of old bones on it. Claims they are all Hitler's bones. 'Hitler's skull, only a tenner. Hitler's thigh bone, only a fiver'. A punter walks past, stops and says. 'Are you saying those are definitely Hitler's bones?' 'Oh yes', says the stall holder, and carries on calling out 'Genuine Hitler bones, come and get 'em!'.

The punter picks up a couple of spuds from a greengrocer's stall and says 'And I suppose these are Hitler's balls?' 'Oh no' says the stall holder, 'those are King Edward's'.

Have had Boston, Cornish, Jersey and Pembrokeshire new potatoes this summer, all scraped, steamed, slathered with butter and finished with ground sea salt. All tasty but early season Cornish were tastiest. Mrs C did some crushed and roasted Boston's the other Sunday, bloody tasty they were too.

To my mind and taste Jersey potatoes were the best and this to a large extent was because they used to put seaweed into the soil. Not totally sure but the EU when we became members banned this practise.

I like the story anyway.

To my mind and taste Jersey potatoes were the best and this to a large extent was because they used to put seaweed into the soil. Not totally sure but the EU when we became members banned this practise.

I like the story anyway.
A look on the net suggests that it's another straight bananas myth, the producers stopped using seaweed because of cost and started growing them under plastic for higher yield, hence the change.

I've even heard tell he doesn't know what a neoliberal is.

I have the same problem with 'neologism' ...

I thought I knew what it meant and then went on the internet just to check .... now I have no idea at all.

At least now I do know who Neo was (or wasn't)

I’m a little disappointed Bjork67 didn’t start a sister thread about preparation methods, but you can’t have everything I guess.

Personally, nowadays I only eat the estate’s own produce (this year Charlottes, Pink Fir Apple and la Ratte.) Those last from August to February, then pasta, rice and such fill the starchy gap. Fortunately for my waistline, my desire for chips and buttery mash has pretty much disappeared latterly.

and la Ratte.

MV5BM2M1ZGVlZTMtZmEwMC00MzY1LWI2ZTEtMzdjNGZlMWRhODdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

Jersey was never part of the EU, though.

Reactions: Cav

advertisement

Back