advertisement

life in a PRAT-less world ?

As a case in point, just last Sunday I landed a pair of JBL LSR6328P with matching sub. The combination is stunning with a wide range of music and masses of dynamic headroom. It's lead me to the decision to put my Kef 107/2 up for sale.

only a tiny amateur project studio would use ns10 as a main monitor.
i don't know any professional studios using the unloved little ns10 without having big guns about too.
a&r men traditionally would spec the studio by which studio had the biggest monitors, those studios won most of the contracts for the big projects....then the desk became the big selling point.
nowadays it's who has the best and most varied rooms and outboard.

i'm joking of course but it is actually nearly true!

i have been in loads of top studios and they all sound f#*king immense....
from the strogroom, to the old pussyfoot studios and abbey road and the old harrow road studios near mute records office.... all blindingly good sounding places.

i have never ever heard a domestic rig have the transparency of a studio monitor system unless it is a studio system being used in the home.

In the 70s I grew up in Rottingdean, just east of Brighton. On the seafront was one of the first high end hi fi dealers. He stocked all the typical superfi brands (such as IMF TLS80s), but his speciality was studio monitors. Altecs in unpainted chipboard cabinets. Tannoys in horn loaded melamine cabinets, AR LSTs, JBLs, NS1000Ms, stacked quads etc. He hated the BBC monitors such as the BC1s. When I grew up I bought Tannoys and NS1000Ms from him. To my mind the professional monitors were truly awesome, provided they had appropriate sources and amplification (he particularly favoured Luxman amps and DD turntables, STAX arms, Stanton cartridges).

Nic P

i have been in loads of top studios and they all sound f#*king immense....
from the strogroom, to the old pussyfoot studios and abbey road and the old harrow road studios near mute records office.... all blindingly good sounding places.
Aside from quality loudspeakers, do studios feature heavily on acoustic treatment of the monitoring room?

James

advertisement

Back