advertisement

Lib Dems win in Shropshire

Heckyman

pfm Member
It’s the illegal no.10 raves while the rest of the country were in lockdown wot dunnit…?

One more strike and Boris Johnson is out, says senior Tory MP

They’re going to be even more insufferable now, it’s almost worse than the Tories winning.

Fantastic news. The best bit is it will really annoy Labour tribalists who’d have far preferred a Tory majority than see their own party dead in the water!

What I don't understand is why 12,000 odd voted for the Tories.

Because their parents did, their grandparents did and their great grandparents did. It’s a cycle and they won’t think for themselves. Plus it’s a lot of farming around there and traditionally farmers vote Tory but after the Brexit shit show and trade deals for farmers going tits up that may change.

Because their parents did, their grandparents did and their great grandparents did. It’s a cycle and they won’t think for themselves. Plus it’s a lot of farming around there and traditionally farmers vote Tory but after the Brexit shit show and trade deals for farmers going tits up that may change.
If it hasn't changed by now, I wouldn't bet on it changing any time soon. But I guess we can live with a rump of Tory support, as long as the swing is big enough.

Plus it’s a lot of farming around there and traditionally farmers vote Tory but after the Brexit shit show and trade deals for farmers going tits up that may change.

I’m curious if that is a factor. Is the penny maybe dropping that the Tories have totally screwed them by killing the EU grants and cutting off their cheap labour supply? There have been endless stories of crops rotting unpicked and animals being killed for no commercial benefit.

I’m curious if that is a factor. Is the penny maybe dropping that the Tories have totally screwed them by killing the EU grants and cutting off their cheap labour supply? There have been endless stories of crops rotting unpicked and animals being killed for no commercial benefit.
There's a criminal amount of unharvested crops in Alsace and the Black Forest also. It would be interesting to see if proportionately it is about the same across the 3 markets.

Farming in the UK is transitioning from CAP subsidy to the new ELMS (Environmental Land Management). But nobody has a bloody clue what is going on as the Government have been twiddling their thumbs and not released any detail yet :rolleyes:

Given that the govt has been months and even years behind in getting payments out to farmers under the old arrangements I'd guess there's little hope that farmers will be paid grants promptly now. I'd be tempted to say it serves the buggers right as most wanted Wrecksit but we're all suffering and whichever Orban/Trump clone gets into No 10 will continue the direction of travel until stopped. The mechanism for that isn't obvious at the moment.

The fate of the Shropshire farmers reminds me of a line in a Raymond Chandler novel: 'I always get what I want. But when I get it, I find I don't want it any more'.

There's a criminal amount of unharvested crops in Alsace and the Black Forest also. It would be interesting to see if proportionately it is about the same across the 3 markets.

The Alsace problem is due to poor yields, not a shortage of workers. I can't find anything about the Black Forest. Links?

The Alsace problem is due to poor yields, not a shortage of workers. I can't find anything about the Black Forest. Links?
No, I live there. I see it as I ride past on my mountain bike, mainly fruit crops going to rot. In particular cherries, which I thought were expensive.

I'd like to see some comparative analysis here. But no idea where from.

A wave of strikes will certainly get Johnson out, it's what the Tories (and Labour) most fear!
It might have a galvanising effect on them though, allowing the evocation of Margaret Hilda- Winter of Discontent nostalgia. Patel would love it, she’s itching for a bit of domestic brutality.

advertisement

Back