advertisement

Levitating turntable?

Its utter bollocks, you simply cannot entrain a platter in that manner with magnets without a direct physical connection in one axis.

Its utter bollocks, you simply cannot entrain a platter in that manner with magnets without a direct physical connection in one axis.
Why such blank statements? Doesn't seem that impossible to me - it could easily be a hybrid design using permanent magnets doing most of the heavy lifting, with electromagnets doing the guidance and speed control (like acceleration/braking is done on maglev trains).

Would it be practical? Absolutely not. But it doesn't seem impossible with (to me) known technology - it may still be a scam despite that, though.

Why such blank statements? Doesn't seem that impossible to me - it could easily be a hybrid design using permanent magnets doing most of the heavy lifting, with electromagnets doing the guidance and speed control (like acceleration/braking is done on maglev trains)

I have never come across permanent magnets that can levitate even their own weight by 40mm. The field required would be at MRI levels. No metal allowed in the living room

This brings back memories of when I worked as a design engineer for a computer manufacturer. The company had a suggestions programme, where employees could suggest ways to improve our products. One such suggestion made was that we could use a computer's cooling fans to levitate the computer and make it easy to move around your desk. The person suggesting this had apparently done all of the calculations and proven that the standard cooling fans in a computer would produce enough lift for levitation. This suggestion was given to one of my colleagues for evaluation, his initial response of "Don't be so bloody stupid!" was rejected and he was ordered to investigate it thoroughly. He did eventually get a computer to levitate, but he discovered that the calculations made in the original suggestion were out by a factor of 1000 - the levitating computer was like a miniature hovercraft with a deafening noise and paper blowing all over the office.

Arm VTA, Bias, tracking weight would be quite interesting! It will be interesting how these are set?

Azimuth too as a tracking weight of 2g or so will likely dip the platter on the arm side!

Arm VTA, Bias, tracking weight would be quite interesting! It will be interesting how these are set?

A bit like my well tempered classic Lol. I cant believe they used a warped record in the first promotional video and someone that looked like it was the 5th record they had ever held.....

He did eventually get a computer to levitate, but he discovered that the calculations made in the original suggestion were out by a factor of 1000 - the levitating computer was like a miniature hovercraft with a deafening noise and paper blowing all over the office.

I imagine he still enjoyed the project!

advertisement

Back