advertisement

Levitating turntable?

Blimey. I can't see how the axis of rotation could be anything like tightly enough defined - surely and weight discrepancies, eccentricity or warps in the vinyl would knock it off balance.

How do they keep the magnetic field from affecting the cartridge? Can you use a MC cart with it?

Well kickstarter has a rule that there must be a working prototype and that photo-realistic computer rendering aren't allowed, so I guess that it must exist and to some extent work. Does seem like an unlikely route to better sound quality.

There is a notion that magnetic or air suspension somehow avoids friction and vibration. Unfortunately this just isn't true. Moving air has turbulence and magnetic fields can never be perfectly uniform.
Add that most designers believe that the mechanical path from the arm pivot to the vinyl via the bearing must be constant

Watching the video, the platter seems to be wobbling about
The height it levitates at seems very high, which would take an intense field and a lot of power. Normally lift coils are quite a bit bigger than the gap.
I am not convinced that it isn't a rendering

Magnetic force can not be blocked by any material it can only be moved. To get this done the magnetic force could be channelled into a higher permeable magnetic material which is higher than its surrounding materials permeability and the I suppose it can be drained away safely.
I agree with Tony and David on their points, the platter is high which means a big force

Continuum turntables feature maglev in the vertical axis constrained in the other axes by polished metal rods in teflon bushes. This reduces the effective weight of the very heavy platter on the main bearing. It works exceedingly well but at a somewhat eye-watering price

I can imagine these selling like hot cakes... or rather peruvian sourced lattes.

Sound quality.....who cares (of those who would buy it)!?

Continuum turntables feature maglev in the vertical axis constrained in the other axes by polished metal rods in teflon bushes. This reduces the effective weight of the very heavy platter on the main bearing. It works exceedingly well but at a somewhat eye-watering price

That is not new at all, the lovely JC Verdier turntables do the same, though how he found magnets capable of lifting such a huge and massive platter is beyond me!

Look at the Continuum or the Verdier and the levitation is of the order of a mm.
Thinking over the video, I am now assuming that there is a thin centre pivot that has been edited out and the platter is spinning on it, so a magnetic motor rather than levitation

advertisement

Back