advertisement

Let's have a debate, name your Top 3

Woodface

pfm Member
In the interest of creating some chatter on the music section, let's do a list. Top 3 rock/pop acts of all time. the correct answer is as follows but feel free to provide alternatives:

1) Beatles
2) Steely Dan
3) REM

One of which will be argued over more than the others I guess. Oh, The Who are probably the most overrated band around so don't include that one.

Enjoy

1. Elvis. Can’t stand him personally but his influence is unarguable.
2. The Stones. The Beatles were only around for 8 years.
3. The New York Dolls. Rebooted popular music when it was dying.

I like the Steely Dan idea, but I couldn't possibly have any list of the top of anything that didn't include Led Zeppelin.

1) Led Zeppelin
2) Pink Floyd
3) Steely Dan (although I never really do think of these guys as rock, they're more jazzy)

1. Elvis. Can’t stand him personally but his influence is unarguable.
2. The Stones. The Beatles were only around for 8 years.
3. The New York Dolls. Rebooted popular music when it was dying.
Stones, 'just a blues band' not as influential as Beatles or as good. Have no opinion on New York Dolls but pretty sure Bowie did similar for longer.

I like the Steely Dan idea, but I couldn't possibly have any list of the top of anything that didn't include Led Zeppelin.

1) Led Zeppelin
2) Pink Floyd
3) Steely Dan (although I never really do think of these guys as rock, they're more jazzy)

1) Led Zeppelin
2) Pink Floyd
Never been arsed with Zep just not my thing, like Floyd but a bit inconsistent. It is hard to categorize Steely Dan but they had hits, were popular & had a good to their tunes.

Without asking questions like ‘biggest or most enduring impact, best to go and see, longest period of great output, most often played or what...’

Beatles, Zappa, Steely Dan. In some order.

I thought the standard pfm response to this sort of question was ‘Bowie, Kraftwerk and Miles Davis’ (followed by an explanation why he falls into the rock category) so I’m surprised none of them have been voted for yet.

Without asking questions like ‘biggest or most enduring impact, best to go and see, longest period of great output, most often played or what...’

Beatles, Zappa, Steely Dan. In some order.

I thought the standard pfm response to this sort of question was ‘Bowie, Kraftwerk and Miles Davis’ (followed by an explanation why he falls into the rock category) so I’m surprised none of them have been voted for yet.
It can only go on personal preference & who you listen to. Hard to quantify 'influence'. Never got round to Zappa but hard to argue with his talent

It can only go on personal preference & who you listen to. Hard to quantify 'influence'. Never got round to Zappa but hard to argue with his talent

That’s why I was musing on the criteria. Is there more to it than talent? Why did Vaclev Havel want Zappa as a Czech ambassador? Why is there a statue of him in Vilnius?

Elvis: style and influence (the Sex Pistols deserve an honourable mention for the same reasons)
Dylan: lyrics
Beatles: innovation and progression

Each were on the cusp of major social change and captured the zeitgeist. The rest followed in their wake.

advertisement

Back