advertisement

Let’s hear it for Rega gear

I'm curious, did you succumb to the original 110V sticky pad Planar 3 Upgrade (with P3 2000 electrics), or did you hold out until the 24V motor kit came along?

P3-upgrade-box.jpg
P3-upgrade-contents.jpg
Just to butt in, that’s the one I got second hand from someone who’d upgraded to the 24V kit. I’ve never felt any need to upgrade further. 🎶

I'm curious, did you succumb to the original 110VAC sticky pad Planar 3 Upgrade (with P3 2000 electrics), or did you hold out until the 24VAC motor kit came along?

P3-upgrade-box.jpg
P3-upgrade-contents.jpg
No. The newer one. Audio T fitted it, as I’m totally cack-handed ! Hard to say if it improved things, as was combined with a service and new cartridge. So 3 improvements in one hit, and no idea what was responsible for what. But the original deck was purchased partly with birthday contributions from Dad, who passed away a couple of years ago. So it’s got sentimental value and so I hope good for another 30 years !

Just to butt in, that’s the one I got second hand from someone who’d upgraded to the 24V kit. I’ve never felt any need to upgrade further. 🎶
I did quite a bit of comparing of 70s through 90s Planar 3 (a few examples of each decade, at least) to P3 2000 (example of one, which I still have) and came to the conclusion that the 2000 electrics allowed for quieter running (which in turn allowed for the dropping of the O-ring motor suspension). Looking closely at this circuit, it is obvious that this benefited from the effort that went into the hand-tuned (via 2 x phase voltage levelling pots) P25 circuit, only hard wired in via select value fixed 'tuning' resistors.

Rega P25 motor electrics [image credit: @misterc6]
Rega-P25-motor-and-electrics.jpg

Last edited:
I came to the conclusion that the 2000 electrics allowed for quieter running (which in turn allowed for the dropping of the O-ring motor suspension). Looking closely at this circuit, it is obvious that this benefited from the effort that went into the hand-tuned (via 2 x phase voltage levelling pots) P25 circuit, only hard wired in via select value fixed 'tuning' resistors.
The upgrade didn’t only make for significantly quieter running: the old suspended motor was a wow-bringer too. The new motor & circuit transformed the deck & was a revelation to me.

I’ve never heard a P3-2000. It must be close in performance to the Planar 25, if not equal to it.

Just noticed that Rega is coming with a P3 TT in a light oak finish. NICE! :)

428605937_10161723095738615_4374170790698459291_n.jpg

Funny coincidence is... a few weeks ago, for a minute or so, I thought... "Now,...if Rega would ever come up with say a P3 in light-oak, ...I'd be tempted!". 🤔😏 Every now and then I think about getting back into vinyl. (even though I only have about 25 LP's left) but I never liked the glossy finishes or the walnut veneer version. (looks a bit cheap imho)

Contemporary vibes there.

Personally, I’m still horny for the glossy orange option of the P3-24. It can’t have been popular as Rega stripped the multitude of P3-24 finishes right back for following generations of the 3.

I wonder if Rega would create custom plinths by request, even at extra cost?

Funny coincidence is... a few weeks ago, for a minute or so, I thought... "Now,...if Rega would ever come up with say a P3 in light-oak, ...I'd be tempted!".
I don't like it. Looks like someone put a turntable onto a cheap kitchen unit door.
The new motor & circuit transformed the deck & was a revelation to me.
I fitted the 24v kit to a friend's old Planar3 and I was quite surprised by how big a difference it made.

Just noticed that Rega is coming with a P3 TT in a light oak finish. NICE! :)

428605937_10161723095738615_4374170790698459291_n.jpg

Funny coincidence is... a few weeks ago, for a minute or so, I thought... "Now,...if Rega would ever come up with say a P3 in light-oak, ...I'd be tempted!". 🤔😏 Every now and then I think about getting back into vinyl. (even though I only have about 25 LP's left) but I never liked the glossy finishes or the walnut veneer version. (looks a bit cheap imho)
That. Is. Lovely. When is it out?

The upgrade didn’t only make for significantly quieter running: the old suspended motor was a wow-bringer too. The new motor & circuit transformed the deck & was a revelation to me.
Back in the days of wobbly belt-suspended motors, I really didn't rate Rega Planars at all- the bass always sounded completely wrong to me. A few years ago I updated my brother-in-law's Rega with the sticky foam pad replacing his knackered 110v motor suspension belt. Huge improvement, almost to the extent of sounding like a different turntable.

Almost too late but at 15:00:

The Audiophiles with Steve Westman & Roy Gandy LIVE
Roy Gandy will be taking part in a LIVE podcast on Tuesday 27th February 3.00pm UK time 7am PST.

I have owned an Apollo R and a Brio R in the past and there were totally reliable and excellent for the money.

Subsequently have owned a mk3 Saturn R which failed on me after 6 months ( probably a processor issue) but was replaced by the dealer without question.

Subsequently have owned an Aethos which had an issue with the volume control which intermittently wouldn't work from the remote. My dealer tried to fix it a few times and eventually went back to Rega and is now fine.

Despite my issues I am very pleased with the Rega products as they sound fantastic and I know that will be supported by the company for many years to come. The DAC on the Saturn sounds amazing fed by a humble Bluesound node.

I have also added an RB880 arm to my Technics 1210GR which is superb via a Rega Aria.

So despite some problems I am very pleased indeed in my purchases and am delighted able to support a great British company.

Well done Rega for great products and great customer support from them and the guys at my dealer Sevenoaks Yeovil who are excellent.

I've been a rega fan for ages, now enjoying an elicit 5 into ae509.

Spotted their prototype pre and power amp on Twitter, definitely intrigued

advertisement

Back