advertisement

Lenco L75 Refurbishment

Hi Muzzer - what, subjectively, did you prefer with the Linn?

I had an interesting session last night - the Lenco does some important things really, really well but overall it does not image (size of front to back soundstage) as well as the LP12 does. There are a huge number of variables that could be causing this (primarily being 2 different high end vintage cartridges on each), so I need to start tracking them down.

But I remain stunned at how good this L75 sounds (the drive the bass has makes me laugh, especially how pin point accurate it is). At the moment it is sitting in a standard plinth with the sprung base removed, albeit screwed down a bit more rigidly than when it was new. Engineering wise, I really do not like the thinnish top plate - it is sitting on a rubber bush at each corner only, meaning the bearing in the middle of the tub is pretty free to flex/vibrate. I have to at least try and engineer a solution that addresses this to see what impact it has on the sound.

One things for sure, the Harmon Kardon ST7 in my office system will be the one that gets sold at the end...just don't know what will replace it yet :)

Richard

Rich.
To me the Linn is more detailed, bass is better(more texture) and it holds a tune better.
My LP12 is non std it has a Sole V sub-chassis/armboard and a 'geddon clone psu.
I would be perfectly happy with the Lenco and maybe a cheaper arm cartridge say a modded Rega250/DL110 if I didn't already have the Linn combo.
The Linn combo has cost me £2000+ over the years whereas the Lenco setup could be done for less than £500.
It would make a great alternative to the sub £1000 Rega decks imho.

My lenco is currently being rebuilt to fit a ptp5 plate with cld plywood layered plinth 10x18mm, ptp bearings, new idler wheel, jelco 750d ortofon 2m black..will post some pics once ready:)

Updates from a friend who's working on this build

2qwgbko.jpg

Nice! Mine still sounding good in the stock plinth, at some point I need to decide what to do for a plinth.

Whatever plinth you decide to build Richard I've always had better results with the arm mounted on the plinth rather than the metal top plate. If you're going with a nine inch arm that could mean rotating the deck 90 degrees or cutting a corner off the top plate or even cutting a large hole in the corner of the top plate for the arm to drop into to. This also lowers the arm height which can be an issue with the 75.

Thanks Si - I like the PTP built decks, but don't want to lose the speed control or power switch with idler disengagement function. So Im thinking of cutting around the tray of the top plate...but don't have much faith in my metal or woodworking skills :)

First step will probably just to put mass in stock plinth (out of sight!) and get bracing up under bearing.

Richard

Just got theses replacement idler wheels today ..certainly a more solid build compared to the oem idler and new rubber with a few spares to replace the hardened ones

Imo the stock standard lenco sounds good in its original form, have yet to hear a tt which has the drive, authority and bass weight of the classic lenco..but I could feel vibrations on the plinth and top plate areas just by touching it even after motor and bearings lubrication and therefore the ptp5 with a cld plinth seems like a good solution for a very reasonable cost

2ai07qt.jpg

Be interested to hear what you think of new idler - are you replacing a plastic one?

My deck is silent after its service - I hear or feel nothing. Main item for me was oiling the idler bearing - it seemed to have a lot of play before I cleaned and oiled it, but after a drop of sewing machine oil on bearing the play disappeared. I suspect it will need oiling regularly, but ok so far after maybe 30 albums.

The original idler I had were metal ones with 2 holes.. I guess improving the drive system with better parts wouldn't hurt

The ptp5 is almost ready.. Just needs a few touch ups and awaiting Peter's bearings to arrive..

The African drums on Way down deep Jennifer warnes sounds awesome :)

D103 n jelco 750d

2hmq2hg.jpg

To update - I also swapped my normal pre and power amps for the first Electrocompaniet pre/power combination shortly after putting the Lenco. I already new overall I preferred the LP12, but given basic configure of my Lenco no surprise perhaps.

I put the Linn back in last week, and with the EC did not sound as good as I remembered - so I also swapped the EC pre/power back out for original setup; McKinnie RO III headlamp, Croft Micro II (modified) and DIY valve/hybrid mono blocks. That was 2 days ago, I still smile every time I listen to music :)

I still need to add mass to the Lenco plinth, but for sure it will replace office HK ST7 front end, not my main system (Linn has DIY geddon and Sole subchassis with original 774 arm with Asaka bolted on).

Side 2, Aliens Ate my Buick being laughed to currently :)

Richard

advertisement

Back