advertisement

Leben or Prima Luna - any views?

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
Having now found some speakers that work in my room, after a pretty long search, (some Devore Super 8's 91db sensitivity , 8 ohms), I'm looking to match them to a valve based amp. I've tried some 2x7w 300b's SETs which would have been one preferred choice but they didn't really drive them even at middling volumes.

I've pretty much narrowed things down to one of the following:
Leben 300 - lovely aesthetics and apparently used to tune the Devores - current preferred choice
Primo Luna - either Prologue or Dialogue - great build and engineering and available at a reasonable price as they've upgraded their models to the EVO range.
Unison Simply Italian - just because of its simplicity

I'm going to struggle to do a home domo of all three so thought I'd get some views from the forum to narrow things down furthe.They each seem to have their yaysayers and naysayers - but what doesn't?

As I've said in other posts, the room is 3m x 4m, a reasonable amount of leather furniture. Source = Gyro SE through Dynavector P75iii, Rega Saturn cdp.

Have any of you lived with these amps? How were they for you?

They need to play jazz, vocals, electronica across vinyl and CD and give both richness and detail.

Any thoughts welcomed

Kevin

Last edited:
I've not heard the Unison so can't comment on it.

I've heard the Leben 300 (and 600) and various Prima Luna amps driving Harbeth M30s and HLP3 ESRs. In my opinion the Leben amps were better than the Prima Lunas in terms of sound, build quality and funtionality. I'm currently using Jadis amps which I really like, but would hapily live with one of the Lebens, and may yet swap for a 600. Having said that, the Prima Luna amps are perfectly decent.You really do need to try and get a home demo, thouigh I appreciate that's easier said than done.

I seem to recall a review of some Prima Luna amps showing them to have very high output impedance, which would change the sound depending on the speakers they were connected to due to the modified frequency response. Not sure re Leben amps and their output impedence but I’ve seen them used with DeVore speakers in the USA. I’ve owned a CS300XS for nearly 5 years now. It’s a lovely thing, although I do get the itch to try something else every so often eg. Croft pre-power, Sugden, Rega, Naim etc...And I can confirm the headphone output is really good with my Leben. I use the Sony Z1R with mine.

Reactions: kjb
Unison isn't much discussed here but I like them, a LOT. If asked to order those in order of 'valvey lovliness', I'd say they all sit at the valvey end of the spectrum, but the Leben and the Unisons have a similar sound signature. Of the two I think Leben are better made (the kind of amp you just keep forever, ESP the 300, which is lovely to listen to, the 600 being a tad drier), but the Unisons are v v v good and I damned near had one till the luxman SQ38u came along. Prima Lumas are great too, but not quite IMO in the same league as the other two. Sorry to say I've not heard Devores, but if you need to concentrate on some extra valve warmth and texture then the leben 300 may be your babe; if not then do try a Unison.

ps...if neither quite has the punch you need, do look at Luxman's new range of integrated valve amps...better engineering you'd be pushed to find, and the sound is both valve and power.

I’ve not lived with either but have heard both many times. For me it would be the Prima Luna instantly. The Leben sound is far too ‘rosy’ old school for my taste whilst the PL is more dynamic, linear and transparent. YMMV.

I like both but the Prima Luna is probably the least speaker-dependent. Needs sensitive speakers and as mentioned earlier is quite "rosy". Have heard lovely noises coming from both.

l had the Prima Luna Prologue Plus and Unison Simply Italy here on home loan, the PL l found rather bland in sound, whilst the SI is an amazing little amp for the money.... just did not have enough juice for my Tablette 10, but it was close, on Audionote ANK/LX the Unison sounded amazing, very, very natural sound and depth.

Hope this helps.

All in my room, system etc.:)

Would concur with all the range of views above. Leben 600 would be more detailed and have lots of tube rolling options. I had a Prima Luna Prologue 2 and it is a nice amp for the money with autobias. Would suggest you also think about a Jadis amp it might float your boat. The Leben300 I always had a hankering over especially because of the headphone amp but I would expect it would be a bit 'rosy' and a little under powered. But have heard lots of very positive views on it so if you can get one at the right price try it. You can always sell on again without too much loss.

Would concur with all the range of views above. Leben 600 would be more detailed and have lots of tube rolling options. I had a Prima Luna Prologue 2 and it is a nice amp for the money with autobias. Would suggest you also think about a Jadis amp it might float your boat. The Leben300 I always had a hankering over especially because of the headphone amp but I would expect it would be a bit 'rosy' and a little under powered. But have heard lots of very positive views on it so if you can get one at the right price try it. You can always sell on again without too much loss.

I’ve never seen a serious review that calls the Leben ‘rosy’.I think it’s the low power and casework that makes people assume it is so. Visuals do affect audio perception.

I’ve never seen a serious review that calls the Leben ‘rosy’.I think it’s the low power and casework that makes people assume it is so. Visuals do affect audio perception.

Haven't heard it so agree my comment is a guess. I was surprised they discontinued it as it appeared to have a following. Jadis have never dropped the orchestra.

Like MikeMA, I've listened to the Leben CS600 driving Harbeth M40.1 speakers. The Leben was compared to other solid-state amps such as Naim 32.5/135, Exposure 2010S2, LFD Zero LEIII and a hybrid amp. The speakers sounded airier and more open in the highs with the Leben than all these solid-state amps. The treble in particular is more illuminating with the Leben. With the other solid-state amps, the sound is darker and less illuminating.

I do not have experience with the Prima Luna but can recommend the Leben if you want something that sounds airy and open ie. a brighter sound in the treble as opposed to a darker/warmer sound. It looks retro too if you dig that.

My comparison of the Leben's was side by side with it's big brother the 600. Of the two, the 600 is def less 'rosy, a bit more detailed and dynamic in my memory. That doesn't make the leben unlikeably warm, just in context of the amp's discussed I'd place it as the warmest.

Prima Luna was originally Cardinal Ricardo’s Chinese-made budget offering, of agricultural. construction for those who couldnt reach to ARC prices. Now the PrimaLuna prices have started convecting upwards.

My opinion of the Leben isn't based on looks but on how it sounds, to me; and I don’t really read reviews.

I use the Leben in a larger room with less sensitive speakers (Tannoy autograph mini) and it has plenty of punch. Love mine, no desire to move on from here. Haven't heard the others so cant compare. My boss uses his cs300 with the same Devores you have.

advertisement

Back