advertisement

Later with Jools

Jools Holland is a smug twat.

This is the reason why the show is less than universally popular. Oh and the fawning over “legends” along with the boogie woogie bollocks.

Thankfully, since it’s only aimed at old people, and they’re the only people still watching “linear” TV, it means everyone else can find new music online and ignore the idiot.

Roughly speaking.

(Did I get that right?) ;)
'Boogie woogie bollocks'...Creased me that!

Ed Sheeran? Taylor Swift? Adele?

Tony Bennet? Tom Jones?

Haven't watched it for years. The BBC is dead, music wise, to me.

Inflated egos I can do without. There's so much more going on out there than BBC Radio and Television programmes.

Ed Sheeran? Taylor Swift? Adele?

Tony Bennet? Tom Jones?

Haven't watched it for years. The BBC is dead, music wise, to me.

Inflated egos I can do without. There's so much more going on out there than BBC Radio and Television programmes.

So if you haven’t watched it for years how do you know what artistes you have denied yourself?

Music snobs are among the worst of the lot.

Nothing to do with snobbery at all. I'm open minded enough. Used to love the Beeb.

But the one thing I can't be doing with is being right on. Just for the sake of it.

And the BBC have taken that to the nth degree in its current guise. Stupid Twats.

If you can relate to that. Good for you.

I can't.

More recently Jools introduced me to St Vincent, Royal Blood, Christine and the Queens, Hot Chip etc etc.

I record it, and then fast forward thru the stuff that doesn’t interest me.

What other music based programs have folk seen on tv that have introduced them to new stuff?

One series that has done this for me is, ironically, Peaky Blinders. The soundtracks via Qobuz have been very good.

It’s always been a selection box of music. Filter it for what you like and what you’d like to listen to. Personally I like to see the Legends. Look at the work of Cash,Diamond and others late in their careers.Some of the best work they’ve ever done.

Better yet, don't filter it, just skip through on iPlayer, or whatever it is called now, or to be called shortly.
I'll listen to anything unfamiliar for 10-20-30 seconds and be reasonably certain whether they are going to float my boat, or not. Some utterly superb discoveries for me have appeared that way.

You can't have too much of this sort of across-the-board genera-hopping music show. Finding new stuff, especially in a genre where you feel ill-at-ease or worse, is always a great feeling.

The only hassle with finding new great music, is the bill with Amazon/Norman/Juno et al. :)

Better yet, don't filter it, just skip through on iPlayer, or whatever it is called now, or to be called shortly.
I'll listen to anything unfamiliar for 10-20-30 seconds and be reasonably certain whether they are going to float my boat, or not. Some utterly superb discoveries for me have appeared that way.

You can't have too much of this sort of across-the-board genera-hopping music show. Finding new stuff, especially in a genre where you feel ill-at-ease or worse, is always a great feeling.

The only hassle with finding new great music, is the bill with Amazon/Norman/Juno et al. :)
Can certainly relate to that last sentence...o_O

I was impressed with "Sampa the great" on the latest show! Not so much with Sampa herself as she was "only" rapping, if very well, but with the band and the arrangements. Pure James Brown meets Marvin Gaye with some Isaac Hayes in there...

I quite enjoyed last night and hope it reflects a change in format in platforming newer music in preference to the usual stream of dad-rock has-beens. There wasn’t anything there I’d actually run out and buy, but it was well worth an hour of my time.

I quite enjoyed last night and hope it reflects a change in format in platforming newer music in preference to the usual stream of dad-rock has-beens. There wasn’t anything there I’d actually run out and buy, but it was well worth an hour of my time.

Yeah cos P.P Arnold was crap... not!

I would buy the Sampa the great album IF it was as on Jools show but I fear it would be all sampling, scratching and drum machines on the album rather than the super tight live band... I hope to be proved wrong!

advertisement

Back