advertisement

Lark Ascending

Elgar's Sospiri is a beautiful piece, especially conducted by Barbirolli or Gardiner. And, of course, Enigma Variations.
Del

The Argo version of The Lark...is lovely.I have it on vinyl.

That's the one I have, though sadly it's knackered from being played on cheapo systems. Must find a replacement.

Coincidentally, the Fantasia (ASMF/Marriner) was on Classic FM just now.

Someone mentioned Radio 3 as a window on classical. Despite its superior s.q. (if you've got the right kit, of course), Classic FM is a far more eclectic/catholic range of classical. Contrary to some reports, it's not all bubblegum classics and the s.q. is okay, depending on your reception.

You'll find more gems and insight into composers on Classic FM than Radio 3, which tends to be a little too much 'in depth' and narrow.

On a very few occasions I am moved to tears with music. I always get very 'involved' when listening and get emotionally drained, but rarely do I cry.

Vaughan Williams 'The Lark Ascending' on Argo ZRG696 has got me.....

It defines the English spirit within me.

Phew....I just hope my lovely daughter grows up to love music like I do.

Andrew

Your post has leapt out at me.

My seven year old daughter recently heard a bit of Lark Ascending at school and positively begged me to get it for her. She really enjoys it. And has never asked me for any music before, so it must have made an impression.

I too am new to classical and finding it an amazing adventure. A few months back I got the Decca Sound Box (a great thread on that earlier) and encouraged by many of the recordings have been snapping up LP since. I know lots of folks here prefer CD but I love natural instruments on LP despite the snap, crackle and pop.

But my main reason for replying is your last comment, hoping your daughter is as blessed as you with a love for music.

When I was 7 or 8 my Dad used to play classical music loud as I went to bed. It never disturbed me and I would drift off listening to symphonies and choral stuff, without knowing what any of it was. When I began collecting music myself it was rock and jazz until just some months ago when something triggered a desire to stop, and hear classical properly.

Just starting out and loving it. I am 50 now and my Dad long gone. But his music has lodged with me from all those years back. I played Mendelssohn's 3rd Symphony for the first time last week. And I knew it. And I mean, knew it. It must have been a record I fell asleep to many times over when a kid.

So just having that stuff on in the house will be a true gift to your daughter. If she is open to music, it will lodge.

Very best regards
David

David.

I get my love of music form my Dad who played classical all the time and actively encouraged me to listen to and buy music.

My daughter already loves to dance and will get her xylophone out and bang away when I put something 'punchy' on. I have music on all the time so hopefully she will grow to love it.
What I really hope for is that we learn to play an instrument together.

Andrew.

Someone mentioned Radio 3 as a window on classical. Despite its superior s.q. (if you've got the right kit, of course), Classic FM is a far more eclectic/catholic range of classical. Contrary to some reports, it's not all bubblegum classics and the s.q. is okay, depending on your reception.

You'll find more gems and insight into composers on Classic FM than Radio 3, which tends to be a little too much 'in depth' and narrow.

It was me and I couldn't disagree more. Classic FM has improved in range but its style of presentation is odious imo. The record shows on R3 are brilliant - check out Rob Cowen. Narrow - nonsense
In depth" - sometimes but not always. Which is good. :)

It was me and I couldn't disagree more. Classic FM has improved in range but its style of presentation is odious imo. The record shows on R3 are brilliant - check out Rob Cowen. Narrow - nonsense
In depth" - sometimes but not always. Which is good. :)

Nic, I'd like nothing more than to keep my 01 and my kitchen tuner tuned to Radio 3, as Classic FM's adverts are, and always have been, appalling, repetitive and annoying.

However, when I fancy looking to see what's on R 3 I find discussion, esoteric world instruments or in-depth baroque. I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. I'll keep checking the schedules, though.

I've been listening to and playing recorded classical music for well over 50 years, yet Classic FM still surprises me no and again with something/someone I've not heard before. Oh, yes, and I don't mind film music in the mix either ! Good, emotive music, some of it.

My favourite is the New Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted Sir Adrian Boult, with Hugh Bean as the soloist. Wonderfully melodic, and the recording itself has some technical interest as one can clearly hear the tape modulation noise breathing under the violin solo passages.

S.

Completely agree - and with Mick P apparently - wow. I`m pretty sure I saw Hugh Bean as principal violin with the BBC Symphony Orchestra at a last night of the Proms. Long time ago though.

I'd 2nd (or 5th?) the effect of subliminal classical music listening on children. There are unfortunate preconceptions about classical music that can be a bit of a barrier to appreciating it. Just letting your offspring know it OK to listen to that kind of stuff is good. Classical music was often in the background as I grew up. I did the usual range of listening in my youth but I always knew classical music was there and when the time came I was comfortable with and embraced it.

More cowpat music, some with an Italian accent:

Elgar - Introduction and Allegro, Cello Concerto, In the South ("Alassio")
Tippett - Concerto for Double String Orchestra, Corelli Fantasia

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite copy is neville marriner amf fantasien/lark ascending, which also
has a copy of Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus on it which is also wonderfull, another one i like is concerto for tuba 2nd movement.

advertisement

Back