advertisement

Lark Ascending

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
On a very few occasions I am moved to tears with music. I always get very 'involved' when listening and get emotionally drained, but rarely do I cry.

Vaughan Williams 'The Lark Ascending' on Argo ZRG696 has got me.....

It defines the English spirit within me.

Phew....I just hope my lovely daughter grows up to love music like I do.

4 copies here -- all on vinyl. The David Nelson solo one with Dives and Lazarus/Wasps is the one I play most on one of the budget EMI labels (MFP?) Hell, I scrape through fiddle and its one of the few works that you just look at the way its written and say "in another lifetime -- maybe". The voicing at the end is right at the edge of the instrument's tessatura and needs a very fine player indeed.

Its interesting (if you read music) to track the score with the playback and see the interplay between the violin and viola, Its also fun to piece the onomatopoeic references RVW makes to the sounds: chirrup, slur, whistle and shake. I have a feeling he was cocking a snood at the rise of the 20th C serialists there. Just a theory. Its a lovely work.

Have you seen the BBC 4 show about it? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019c9t9

TBH Fox I just enjoy it for what it is. I'm am new to classical and at the moment it's all about tunes and emotions.

Andrew.

Now wrong with that either but... [blinks] New to classical? [rubs hands gleefully]
I wish I were you right now. What a great place to be. Crikey.

Perhaps not totally new but certainly less then 2% of my vinyl is classical. I intend to change that, it's a beautiful place to be.......I agree.

The Argo version of The Lark...is lovely.I have it on vinyl. Try the Kennedy/Rattle.A very delicate version with superb pianissimo playing by Kennedy.

Del

Being new to classical as I am at the moment is a very confusing place to be. The repertoire is huge and there are 7 million performances of every piece. After much random listening Bach and Janacek seem to offer things that appeal to me as a starting point.

If the Lark brings out the English in you try VW's Tallis Fantasia.

Seconded; it's a natural successor to 'Lark'. V-W's 'Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis'. I've got a flock of Larks, and one or two are combined with this.

FLAT You didn't mention whether this is vinyl you're listening to (or maybe you did.......).

New to classical music !!!!Bloody Norah, I hope you live long enough to cover even a small proporttion.:)

Violin concerti, for a start. Bruch, (+ Scottish Fantasia) Tchaik., progressing to Beethoven, Brahms, Sibelius et al.

Also Cello conc. Elgar, Dvorak: Guitar; Rodrigo. Piano; Grieg, Rachmaninov 2 & 4 (+ his highly melodic, tear-jerking symphony no. 2), Beethoven 5 etc.

Sorry, I could go on forever, having about 500 records.

Maybe get into classical on the radio? Concerts on BBC Radio 3 daily and you'll get a chance to hear top performances for free, giving yourself the chance to see what type of music you like.

As for RVW's "Lark" I've heard it too many times to get emotional but one of his pieces that gets me every time is "An Oxford Elegy". It's a bit obscure and unusual in that it's a poem read to orchestral/choral accompaniment. I love it, however, and have for many years.

That said, I grew up with Vaughan Williams and sung it from childhood. Mass in G minor anyone? Or for sheer beauty, what about the 5th symphony?

The best thing about being into "classical" is you could spend a lifetime exploring a single composer if you wanted. This is the life!

Cheers,

Nic.

My favourite is the New Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted Sir Adrian Boult, with Hugh Bean as the soloist. Wonderfully melodic, and the recording itself has some technical interest as one can clearly hear the tape modulation noise breathing under the violin solo passages.

I have others, Tamsin Little, Iona Brown and Zuchermann, but the Bean version is the one I play by far the most, technical limitations notwithstanding.

S.

Being new to classical as I am at the moment is a very confusing place to be. The repertoire is huge and there are 7 million performances of every piece. After much random listening Bach and Janacek seem to offer things that appeal to me as a starting point.

In your local (largish) library you should find the 'Penguin Guide'. Although primaily CDs, they give an inkling of older, vinyl-based renditions where there have been reissues.

Bach and Janacek are not the usual places to start:D

My favourite is the New Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted Sir Adrian Boult, with Hugh Bean as the soloist. Wonderfully melodic, and the recording itself has some technical interest as one can clearly hear the tape modulation noise breathing under the violin solo passages.

S.

Chaps

I totally agree with this, I play this one time and time again.

Vaughan Williams and Elgar are two brilliant composers and I listen to their music more than anyone elses.

Regards

Mick

jimb0,
Bach and Janacek are great places to start (and continue).
If you like Bach, chances are you will like to explore Telemann or Handel.
If you like Janacek, you will probably like Bartok or Stravinsky.

Janáček is an excellent place to start. I guess you know the two string quartets? Even in the early 70s, these were regarded as odd, peripheral to the main repertoire, and too demanding to play because of their unusual ‘Czech’ sounds. Now they’re pretty much standard fare for most aspiring string quartets. Some of the earlier recordings on Supraphon (eg by the Janáček quartet) are very good indeed. The Janáček quartets are also a good starting point for many of the well-known string quartets of the 20th century (Bartók, Shostakovich, Berg, Dvořák (late 19C, but he is Czech)), and also the less well-known (eg Smetana, Haas, Weinberg, Ahmed Adnan Saygun). If you don’t know Weinberg, but like Janáček, Bartók or Shostakovich, try one of the Danel Quartet’s recordings on cpo – you might be surprised. You could then work backwards to the great 19th century quartets (Beethoven, Schubert), or even forwards to the second half of the 20th century (look at the repertoire of the Arditti Quartet as a guide). A little digging on the internet will usually throw up which recordings are good value for money – sites like La Folia, or Paris Transatlantic, are pretty good sources of commentary on contemporary music. Or you could listen to the radio – Radio 3 is fine, but I presume that European radio stations are generally available from UK satellite boxes? If so, France Musique, SWR2, WDR3 or Bayern-Klassik are at least as good as Radio 3, and often much better.

You could do something similar with Janáček’s operas, in following the line backwards and forwards, listening to interesting pieces as they appear on the radio.

advertisement

Back