advertisement

Large Hadron Collider nearly ready

So, how long have we got before it's switched on?

I made my own amazing discoveries today...

Not only did particle physicist Brian Cox used to be in New Labour favourite, D:Ream; he also has a cdx2.

So, how long have we got before it's switched on?

I made my own amazing discoveries today...

he also has a cdx2.

Shows how much he knows about physics! Credibility blown away.

He also has the early Bliarite fixed sardonic grin. Poor lad.

Good to see Google getting into the
beam of this event...

lhc.gif

I thought it was 'barada'.

Klaatu Barada Niktu.

It's robot for "Hey big boy, get me off this planet, they're all F****n Barking!!" :)

Depends upon you accent!

Berada in Hull probably sounds like Barada down south.

(TDTESS was the first movie I bought on iTunes. Up with the latest tech, but probably not the latest culture)

I thought it was 'barada'.

Klaatu Barada Niktu.

It's robot for "Hey big boy, get me off this planet, they're all F****n Barking!!" :)

It is "Klaatu Barada Niktu" but for even more nerdilicious brownie points, which character in the film says the line?

Klaatu say it to Patrcia Neals charachter , she then repeats it to Gort later on, to prevent him destroying the earth.

It's great but I wish as much effort was being put into ITER. Far more bloody important IMO.

If only we could think of an angle for reporting on or writing about ITER that doesn't involve dissing every western nation's politicians for ignoring future energy requirements... I know...I've got a great idea....

Twin towers disaster results in....

.....Iter story...

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7607473.stm

:(

Gawd help us....

Technically Patrica Neal says "Gort, Klattu Barada Nicto" (definitely sounds more like Nicto or "nicktoe" than -tu) which is 25% more sinister 1950s alien weirdness.

[playing as I type]

Today has quite frightened me about the level of scientific understanding and reporting by the mainstream media, the scare mongering, the even handed treatment of nutters forecasting the end of the world, mixing it up with the whole God thing, comparing the cost to the number of new hospitals that could have been built, viewers comments that the LHC will find the cure for cancer and that it will invent the internet again, probably. I can't take it anymore... One mob even wheeled out Prof Hawkins to tell viewers that the world wasn't really going to end, having spent hours telling us it might, complete with graphics of black holes and big bangs.

One of the low points for me was this morning when Prof Heinz Wolf, live on SkyNews made his own LHC out of some plastic tubes, two coils of copper wire for effect, a fire extinguisher and two mince pies. Dermot went into analogy meltdown after the CO2 fog had cleared and the pair were covered in "collision debris", remarking how the currants were like the sub atomic particles and the elusive mixed peel might represent the Higgs Boson. Luckily I recorded it for posterity.

This is a fantastic thing, a wonderful endeavour that has been reduced to the splattering of baked goods.

advertisement

Back