advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

One business leader said that after several meetings with the party, they were now “pretty relaxed” about its plans...
Can anyone (other than a Tory voter anyway) tell me why they are considering voting for this lot?

They will be worse than the Tories.

That’s not me saying that, they’re telling you themselves ffs.

I don't actually think they will be worse than the tories.

Partly because the party is not stuffed to the gunwales with grifters, spivs and ultra right wing nasty pieces of work. I don't think the siphoning off of national wealth will happen to anything like the same extent, and I do think they'll have to make some moves towards helping the poorer end of society.

However, I don't have any illusions that they'll be materially better than the tories, either. Starmer's lot feels closer to Cameron-era toryism than to anything else.

Can anyone (other than a Tory voter anyway) tell me why they are considering voting for this lot?*

They will be worse than the Tories.

That’s not me saying that, they’re telling you themselves ffs.
People want rid of the Tories and Labour seem to be the only party with a hope of beating them in most English constituencies. So I get it.

I don't know if Labour will be quite as horrendous. As Steve says, I don't think we'll see the same levels of grift and corruption.

But on pretty much every other measure they're a disaster. I see Starmer was on the radio again recently stating that he doesn't believe trans women are women...

People want rid of the Tories and Labour seem to be the only party with a hope of beating them in most English constituencies. So I get it.

I don't know if Labour will be quite as horrendous. As Steve says, I don't think we'll see the same levels of grift and corruption.

But on pretty much every other measure they're a disaster. I see Starmer was on the radio again recently stating that he doesn't believe trans women are women...
Yes, I do get it.

But I also believe that the idea that Labour are not moving in the direction of grift and corruption is a false hope.

I can’t even say that I blame them, we have been voting for grift and corruption for effin’ decades now. Not voting for the greed and corruption itself maybe, but certainly the political and economic justifications. The decline towards g and c is very long after all.

In the short term Labour’s move towards grift and corruption might be slightly lower than the Tories, but they are clearly willing to sell of bits of the NHS, sections of worker protections, Green Pledges, Gender rights, International Law, Parliamentary Procedure in order to get there, so on balance, where does that leave us?

Still going in the same direction but at the same pace. All Labour are doing is suggest they might apply the brake a tiny bit while keeping their foot firmly on the accelerator

We are going in the wrong direction, and Labour are leading is further down the same road we’ve been going down for ages.

Labour are quite openly taking us into more grift and corruption, not out of it.

Ok, so if you don't vote Labour, then what happens? Do we really want another Tory term in power? Look what happened with Brexit. It was voter complacency that meant the Brexiteers won. There is a lot wrong with Labour BUT they are the only party with a chance of beating the Tories at the next election. It's sad that we have come to a point of voting for one party to keep the other one out, rather than for their 'merits', but that's the reality.

Speaking only for myself of course, but I find the points being made here are moot. I can't bring myself to vote for any political party that is complicit in genocide/mass starvation. To do so represents a vote of support for this agenda.

John
Yes. Though maybe the issues are not separate, maybe they all come out of the same cauldron of nicely fermenting greed and corruption?

Ok, so if you don't vote Labour, then what happens? Do we really want another Tory term in power? Look what happened with Brexit. It was voter complacency that meant the Brexiteers won. There is a lot wrong with Labour BUT they are the only party with a chance of beating the Tories at the next election. It's sad that we have come to a point of voting for one party to keep the other one out, rather than for their 'merits', but that's the reality.
We will get the same thing anyway.
Not quite. If the tories* get reelected, not only will we get more of what we have now, they'll be emboldened by the victory and double-down. After all, they'll have a shiny new mandate for more of the same, only harder.

* I've stopped capitalising the word tory. Partly because there's nothing 'proper' about that noun, but also for the same reason that I've never used a capital letter on the word 'arsehole'.

Not quite. If the tories* get reelected, not only will we get more of what we have now, they'll be emboldened by the victory and double-down. After all, they'll have a shiny new mandate for more of the same, only harder.

* I've stopped capitalising the word tory. Partly because there's nothing 'proper' about that noun, but also for the same reason that I've never used a capital letter on the word 'arsehole'.
Yes. labour* will be more tory than the tories.

*see what I did there!

Not sure Gaza is going to make much of a difference. Voters are more concerned about the NHS, schools, inflation, mortgage rates, etc. - and, of course, kicking the Tories out.

Not sure Gaza is going to make much of a difference. Voters are more concerned about the NHS, schools, inflation, mortgage rates, etc. - and, of course, kicking the Tories out.
Anyone concerned about the NHS, Schools, or inflation, is voting to make each and every one of those a whole lot worse if they vote Labour

advertisement

Back