advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

Because the Government directed them to put the investment there in the first place.
Fair point and raises rather a lot of other questions!

edit: and rather shines a spotlight on the government's idea that pensions should be forced by law to invest more heavily in UK firms - regardless of their piss poor market performance.

edit: and rather shines a spotlight on the government's idea that pensions should be forced by law to invest more heavily in UK firms - regardless of their piss poor market performance.
Absolutely, it's a mess that needs sorting out. They'll bleed the funds dry - but maybe that's the intention!

Absolutely, it's a mess that needs sorting out. They'll bleed the funds dry - but maybe that's the intention!
It's pure desperation. Their **** Business Brexit has created a hostile trading environment impacting the profitability of firms and shitshows like the Trussageddon have sent a clear message that the UK is not run by sensible people and your capital is at risk.

But rather than address the underlying causes of the malaise all they have is gimmicks - lean on pension funds to invest in crap UK firms, the Great British ISA that can only be invested in crap UK firms... anything to funnel a few more quid into a stagnant underperforming market.

Universities Superannuation Scheme already revalued it's stake from £5bn to £2bn.

Not great but I'd argue that's a relatively modest hit on £90bn total assets. Well within weekly market fluctuations of a few %.

I can't see that any other properly invested and diversified pension would take much of a hit. Thames Water are minnows compared with the market cap of the oil companies, banks etc.

Share price of the other water companies would prob collapse too. No bad thing in my book - that's what happens to badly run companies. Let them go bust then buy them for the nation for £1 each.

But USS is doing fine, overall, as the recent changes to the scheme show.

OK, strike 'the masses', replace with 'the majority'. You are not arguing for specific protests within a democratic system (poll tax, women's suffrage, etc). And you are not arguing for change via the ballot box. You are arguing for violent overthrow of the whole system. Which is something quite different.

I asked how long would it take to gain majority support for such a course of action, which you have answered with something that looks to me like an appeal to historical materialism. Which is fine, if that's your answer. I mean, I don't see any prospect of it happening, but at least I understand your position.

And I asked what the post-revolutionary system of government would look like. Because power has to pass into someone's hands - it can't be wished away. I'm in favour of democracy for this very reason. It keeps power accountable, at least to a degree.
You use the term ‘violent revolution,’ It is inevitable that there will be a degree of violence incurred, those who own the wealth and the means of production have never ceded their wealth and power willingly. Ceaușescu clung onto power until the very last minute, and used his violent state apparatuses to try to (literally) kill the revolution. However, the violence that occurred over a few weeks in Romania in 1989 was nothing compared to the violent dictatorship that had endured for the previous forty five years.

Historical materialism simply refers to the material forces that drive history, and was essentially a corrective to Hegel’s idealist conception of history. I cannot answer your question as to when, or how soon, a revolutionary situation will come about: it’s impossible to be specific. I can only use examples like the east European revolutions at the end of the 1980’s, the collapse of the Soviet Union, or the Arab Spring. Who could have predicted in 1979, when the Soviets had just invaded Afghanistan, that within a decade the Soviet Union would cease to exist, or that the most brutal, oppressive dictators like Ceauşecu and Honecker would be toppled, and the Berlin Wall dismantled? Or indeed, that a boorish, crass, reality TV grifter would one day come to occupy the Oval Office.

What we can be reasonably sure about is that such situations often arise from the most unlikely circumstances. The Romanian Revolution was sparked by the arrest of an obscure priest in the provincial town of Timişoara. The Russian Revolution was started by a group of women who had queued for hours just once too often for bread, only to reach the head of the queue to find the bakery had sold out.

A post revolutionary administration is again difficult to forecast. It would be up to the individuals concerned at the time. What we can be sure of is there was more democracy in a Russian Soviet in 1917, an Iranian Shora in 1979, an Argentinian piquetero in 2001, or indeed in any trade union, than in the entire history of the House of Commons.

I suggest the movement is relative and he's not the one doing the moving.
To a large degree yes. He’s always been on the left of the Tories, but it’s still a significant leap from The Telegraph and The Mail to Double Down News.

You use the term ‘violent revolution,’ It is inevitable that there will be a degree of violence incurred, those who own the wealth and the means of production have never ceded their wealth and power willingly.
So it is fair to say violent revolution, no? Just as it is fair to talk of the masses when talking about an activated majority of a population?
I cannot answer your question as to when, or how soon, a revolutionary situation will come about: it’s impossible to be specific. I can only use examples like the east European revolutions at the end of the 1980’s, the collapse of the Soviet Union, or the Arab Spring. Who could have predicted in 1979, when the Soviets had just invaded Afghanistan, that within a decade the Soviet Union would cease to exist, or that the most brutal, oppressive dictators like Ceauşecu and Honecker would be toppled, and the Berlin Wall dismantled?
None of these places had democratic systems. In cases where there is almost no prospect of change through democracy, then I could see a justification for violent revolution. I see it - like war - as a necessary last resort. But you seem to be arguing for it in much wider circumstances.
A post revolutionary administration is again difficult to forecast. It would be up to the individuals concerned at the time.
I'd argue that if you are arguing for revolution, you should have a pretty good idea of what model you are aiming for. Otherwise, you get Brexit - where the aftermath is unendingly messy because no-one agreed what they were aiming for, beyond overthrow of the 'status quo'. All of this matters.
What we can be sure of is there was more democracy in a Russian Soviet in 1917... than in the entire history of the House of Commons.
We'll have to disagree on this. When I look at the Russian revolution, outside of individual Soviets, I can't see democracy. I see the illegal dissolution of the Russian Constituent Assembly when the Bolsheviks lost the election, political repression, and resultant oligarchic rule.

You use the term ‘violent revolution,’ It is inevitable that there will be a degree of violence incurred, those who own the wealth and the means of production have never ceded their wealth and power willingly.
I'm not really sure what seizing the means of production would look like in a modern(ish) Western economy.

Will Rega become a people's cooperative and Roy Gandy exiled to the frozen north?

So it is fair to say violent revolution, no? Just as it is fair to talk of the masses when talking about an activated majority of a population?

I'd argue that if you are arguing for revolution, you should have a pretty good idea of what model you are aiming for. Otherwise, you get Brexit - where the aftermath is unendingly messy because no-one agreed what they were aiming for, beyond overthrow of the 'status quo'. All of this matters.

Later on in this video below Gary talks about how the rise of the right wing political movement to seats of power in Europe and beyond is due to a collapse of living standards experienced by the lower economic populace for which the fascist leaning leaders/party’s offer them the only voice whether that be blaming immigration, welfare scroungers, the big state etc…etc…and the left leaning political party’s better start waking up to this fact and offer genuine solutions to win them back before it’s too late.

Sure does!

Even easier to replace the bond markets with term deposit savings accounts at the BoE that produce the same ends, and provide financial stability where it’s needed while removing much of the market speculation that fuels instability and big, big bonuses for a few whose losses are always covered by government promises anyway.

None of these places had democratic systems. In cases where there is almost no prospect of change through democracy, then I could see a justification for violent revolution. I see it - like war - as a necessary last resort. But you seem to be arguing for it in much wider circumstances.
I’m not suggesting we live under a dictatorship. But surely you’re not inviting me to agree that we live under a functioning participatory democracy?

I'm not really sure what seizing the means of production would look like in a modern(ish) Western economy.

Will Rega become a people's cooperative and Roy Gandy exiled to the frozen north?
I wouldn’t get over concerned about Roy Gandy if I were you. Jeff Bezos, Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump and Elon Musk, now that’s a different kettle of fish.

I confess to having a funny 'thing' for Angela Rayner. Like bit of a schoolboy crush for teacher, or something. It's a bit
peculiar.

Capt

Does he believe this shite himself?

“There’s no magic money tree that we can waggle the day after the election. No, they’ve broken the economy, they’ve done huge damage.”

I’m not suggesting we live under a dictatorship. But surely you’re not inviting me to agree that we live under a functioning participatory democracy?
No.:) I'm arguing that even our imperfect/corrupt democracy delivered universal suffrage, the NHS, the welfare state, the minimum wage. There is every reason to believe that it can be made to work in our interests again.

The idea of revolution is seductive, but it offers more peril than promise IMO.

advertisement

Back