advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

Ah OK thanks. I couldn't quite see how it fitted into Labour left/centre etc. It really is a dreadful article. She seems to regularly churn this sort of stuff out.

On a similar tangent I see Father Ted writer Graham Linehan has explained that since taking up hating on trans people as a full time vocation he's also started to question the reality of covid and climate change.

I'm not saying these people are all nuts but...

Classic symptoms of falling into the CHAOS rabbit-hole...

The author is a supporter of Starmer and the Labour right, and a terf, and is demanding that Starmer make Labour more terf-friendly.
Has Starmer done so? Or is a demand being made of him enough to condemn him in the search for another reason to undermine Labour and boost the tories?

Out of interest. Is there a tirf as well as a terf? Who decides whether someone is radical? Extreme left wingers are radical, imo, same as the far right are radical but I guess each of them mistakenly believe they are average bods.

Strange how Starmer supporters think that calls for Labour to stand up for progressive values are “extreme”.
What is even stranger is nobody does think that. Got any examples?

In fact, who are these ‘Starmer supporters’?

No. They've all been expelled or resigned from the party.

Apologies if I've misunderstood but Starmer seems to want to remove anyone with a conscience/soul/heart from the party. If it makes sense I'll vote Labour next chance I get. However Starmer and those that got him to that position really don't represent me. It'd just they are the only real alternative.

I agree that Brexit is a symptom, but I think a key underlying cause, that you've not mentioned is the deindustrialization of the UK (and I include the mines in that) without ANY plan to replace the jobs and income. Not only did this impoverish huge swathes of the country, create mass unemployment, and destroy communities and the peoples' dignity, but it helped to drive the permanent trade deficit, which in turn weakens the currency, and makes the country very prone to imported inflation.

Thatcher decided that an acceptable price for breaking the power of unions was the decimation of industry - in a similar way to how Boris decided that decimating the economy was an acceptable price for Brexit (and his own personal ambition).
It may be true that the coal mines had to eventually close due to global warming, but we were importing coal for years, and paying more per ton than home mined coal - for POLITICAL reasons. Plus now the UK has so little domestic industry that you are reliant on "inward investment".

It’s going to take a couple of decades to get the U.K. back on track, investment in plant, equipment, training and R&D has been way below the peer competitors for so long a real weakness has developed. Plus the fact that politicians seem to think that everyone wants to come to the U.K. to work but the honest truth is the really bright people can work anywhere and the U.K. is difficult to get a working visa, accommodation is difficult and public transport not great, maybe if you work in the top tiers of finance it’s attractive but otherwise quite possibly not. Plus salaries in the U.K. tend to be not as good as outside.

Rare siting of the Al Jazeera doc here, from Nesrine Malik:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rty-racism-allegations-prejudice-keir-starmer

It’s good too, I’m amazed the Guardian continue to employ her.

“Still, if you listen, there is a message: if we need to erase leftwing politics from the agenda, and along with it the hopes and aspirations of its people of colour, then so be it. The Labour party may be en route to power, but we owe it to those it has left behind to be honest about the cost.”

No. They've all been expelled or resigned from the party.

Apologies if I've misunderstood but Starmer seems to want to remove anyone with a conscience/soul/heart from the party. If it makes sense I'll vote Labour next chance I get. However Starmer and those that got him to that position really don't represent me. It'd just they are the only real alternative.
Exactly.

I’m not getting too excited. The next election isn’t until 2025 unless they end up going early due to ‘events’, lots could happen between now and then. We know plenty even now still don’t have replacing the tories as their #1 priority and when the tory media ramps up the propaganda, who knows...

I’m not getting too excited. The next election isn’t until 2025 unless they end up going early due to ‘events’, lots could happen between now and then. We know plenty even now still don’t have replacing the tories as their #1 priority and when the tory media ramps up the propaganda, who knows...

Do you really think the Tories will last until 2025?! I'm wondering if they'll last until 2023!

Nowt to stop them switching leader yet again that I’m aware of?
Indeed. Though it’d take their eye off the ball for another 3 months while they did all the campaigning rather than, you know, actually running the country in a time of unprecedented crisis. Can’t imagine that going down well with an electorate that’s recently had the scales fall from its eyes about what the party really stands for.

Well, it has to be held before the end of January 2025, so is more likely to be held in the autumn of 2024. We’re already getting towards the end of 2022, so the Tories have about eighteen months to turn things round. In that time, mortgage rates will increase, house prices will crash, and we may be facing winters with fuel shortages.

Even if they dump Truss quickly, there’s little prospect of them clawing back much of Labour’s current lead.

I bet it's more likely now than at any other time in recent history.
Tories showed during the debacle of May as PM they put party first, second and third. The country is nowhere for these people. The number of times I watched tories interviewed outside Parliament tearing into their own govt but when it came to the crunch they would chant, ‘Labour would be worse’ as a reason not to vote against their party. They wouldn’t even support a 2 week, temporary Labour govt and many of them were the supposed ‘decent’ tories who have been replaced by an even worse bunch. They won’t support something that will lead to a GE if they think they will lose.

Last edited:
Do you really think the Tories will last until 2025?! I'm wondering if they'll last until 2023!

I would be very careful about writing off the Tories. Brexit was supposed to be their undoing, right up until when it undid Labour.

advertisement

Back