advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson is utterly falling to bits at PMQs. Starmer just has to ask him a couple of factual questions and he explodes without subsequently regaining composure. No studio audience to jeer along with him and even the crappy planted questions from his back benches can’t calm him down. A man temperamentally unsuited to the office he holds.

BBC handily cut away at Ian Blackford’s emergency question. Johnson’s office falsely briefed the DM and The Sun that Blackford revealed Johnson’s holiday location - resulting in Blackford and his family receiving multiple death threats. It’s a repeat of the multiple women MPs who asked Johnson to desist from using the inflammatory descriptions of pro-Remain MPs which were being quoted back to the same women MPs in multiple death and rape threats made to them on social media. This is an escalation to Trump-style politics.

Johnson is utterly falling to bits at PMQs. Starmer just has to ask him a couple of factual questions and he explodes without subsequently regaining composure. No studio audience to jeer along with him and even the crappy planted questions from his back benches can’t calm him down. A man temperamentally unsuited to the office he holds.
Starmer made Johnson look like the babbling idiot that he is.

Starmer made Johnson look like the babbling idiot that he is.

This is true but Johnson played his single trump card at the end:

We are not only getting the pandemic under control . . . we will continue to tackle it with local lockdowns and with our superlative test and trace system . . . which has now conducted more tests than any other country in Europe

There were two memorable moments for me. One was Starmer's very quiet dig "he's governing in hindsight" -- which of course was a reminder of Boris's failed attempt to nickname Starmer "Captain Hindsight." And the other was BJ's extraordinary word "dubitation" -- it is in the OED but I've never come across it before.

I am not sure how much PMQ plays with them normals’ but the more successful PMs do seem to be better than average performance. Probably a degree of correlation?

Shouldn't that be Trump Card?

Starmer should play his own Trump Card, making subtle links between the political strategies of Trump and Johnson

My man in the pub might've voted for Johnson, but he hates Trump

I’d urge anyone to watch the horror show on iPlayer. It’s become a repeating pattern- Starmer quietly, politely asks a couple of questions and Johnson blows up, never getting it together again. You can see him agitated, sweating, stammering, bad mouthing. I’ve never seen a Prime Ministerial performance like it. It’s brilliant, it’s the work of Keir Starmer, he’s a magician.

I’d urge anyone to watch the horror show on iPlayer. It’s become a repeating pattern- Starmer quietly, politely asks a couple of questions and Johnson blows up, never getting it together again. You can see him agitated, sweating, stammering, bad mouthing. I’ve never seen a Prime Ministerial performance like it. It’s brilliant, it’s the work of Keir Starmer, he’s a magician.

but no one watches it (apart from a few excited people on here) - few care. I have said it before, but a general election is effectively a beauty contest....the Tories are way better at the media.....

Exactly - I can't see how PMQs serves any useful function, as (in this case) Starmer asks a question, Boris blathers on without answering the question, and then we're on to the next question.

Exactly - I can't see how PMQs serves any useful function, as (in this case) Starmer asks a question, Boris blathers on without answering the question, and then we're on to the next question.
Well the printed press report & they are all powerful according to some? Anyway I don’t think it is helping BJ at the moment

Press report it with their spin, BBC plays a clip with their spin, clips are pushed and circulate on social media. It has its place in the system, but the actual performance is pretty meaningless IMO - it's filleted and served up in whatever way suits a given audience.

Edit: I forgot! You know who takes it really seriously? Centrist pundits. That's Starmer's audience.

This is a wake up call from a Tory analyst - much as I've be saying here.

"A YouGov poll yesterday found voters do not think Labour is ready for government, by a margin of two to one. Voters in the northern “ “red wall” are not just going to snap back to the party overnight – they feel it has failed them, both nationally and locally, and they are a long way from changing their mind. Nor is it all Corbyn’s fault: the problems of even the Gordon Brown years still hang over the party, with many of my focus group attendees saying it would be “just like last time” if Labour was in charge of the economy."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/02/labour-poll-comeback-tories-incompetent-voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back