advertisement

Labour conference 2019, Tom Watson, Momentum etc

Why would he resign? He's doing a great job. Did you read Labour's 2017 manifesto? It's excellent, and what tens of millions of people in the UK need.

Andrew Fisher wrote the manifesto and he is leaving the Labour Party, because he can't stand it any more, according to Marr and the newspapers.

"Head of policy Andrew Fisher, who wrote Labour’s 2017 election manifesto, walked out with a memo – obtained by the Sunday Times – in which he said he no longer believed the party would win power and denounced Corbyn’s team for “lack of professionalism, competence and human decency” and said he was sick of their “blizzard of lies and excuses”." https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-conference-bbc-marr-interview-a9115241.html

Jezza said he'd had a cuppa with his mate Fisher this morning at the Conference, who he has known for 15 years. Well done Jezza.

Jack

5fd8ba266fd45d169af3352693930184.jpg

Watching the Marr show this morning it seemed like Marr gave Corbyn a bit of a hard time, which is as it should be of course, but when Raab was on later Marr seemed much softer. When Corbyn didn’t answer a question in a way to Marr’s liking it was, “I’ve asked you a straight question, give me a straight answer”. With Raab it was, ”I’m really sorry but I must return to the point...”

Galloway on his YouTube show just now said he knows for a fact that Tom Watson visits Blair every week for a chat.

Watching the Marr show this morning it seemed like Marr gave Corbyn a bit of a hard time, which is as it should be of course, but when Raab was on later Marr seemed much softer. When Corbyn didn’t answer a question in a way to Marr’s liking it was, “I’ve asked you a straight question, give me a straight answer”. With Raab it was! ”I’m really sorry but I must return to the point...”
Disgusting anti Corbyn bias!

the reason you may be having difficulty is that it's not a "coordinated" effort by the antagonists, but the efforts of independent actors striving for similar ends by similar means, even whilst competing with one another. you can see the exact same thing with bernie sanders in the USA, the big difference being they can't, for obvious reasons. pull out the anti-semitism smear they way they've done with other progressives (and even corbyn, to make their global "point").

I don't think we need any convoluted conspiracy theory to understand how Corbyn is dragging the Labour Party towards political irrelevance. As for the anti-semitic smear, let's see what the outcome of the Equality and Human Rights Commission inquiry produces which at the moment I'm led to believe is not looking so good for the party.

By going Remain, Watson has gone against the collective responsibility of being part of the leadership. If he had a single principled bone in his body, he’d have resigned ages ago. But he has no principle other than self advancement.

This is also the man who was central to the campaign to expel ordinary party members like myself who joined to support Corbyn.

I don't like Watson. He's still the Blairite he's always been. It annoyed me when he and his clique tried to expel Party members, who joined to support Corbyn. I was one of them.

However Momentum's Lansman has shot the Party in the brain with his move against Watson, later in effect quashed by Corbyn.

The Labour Party have got a big problem if by being Remain Watson has gone against collective responsibility. The majority of Shadow Ministers are Remainers, I think, and want the Party to become an anti-Brexit Party. This is going to be the main argument at the Conference.

McCluskey and Corbyn are Brexiteers. They are already trying to paper over the cracks between them and the majority of Labour MPs, supporters and voters. They got away with it at the last Conference, but hopefully won't at this one.

Something like 64% of Labour voters went for Remain during the Referendum. They have been ignored for the last three years.

The latest news from the Conference in The Guardian is interesting https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-party-to-have-two-deputy-leaders-live-news

• Jeremy Corbyn is facing a clash with party members tomorrow over his plan to postpone a vote on what stance the party should adopt in a referendum on Brexit until after the general election. The party’s national executive committee has approved a motion saying this decision must “only” be taken after the proposed Brexit renegotiation. See 4.40pm. But surveys suggest the Labour membership is overwhelming in favour of remain, and at least 80 motions have been submitted saying the party should commit to remain now. Delegates will debate this decision tomorrow afternoon, but whether the conference ends up taking a firm decision, or settling on a compromise, may depend on the wording of the composite motion that is being drafted in a private meeting this evening.
Most of Labour's policies are exciting, but f^^^ 'em in terms of Brexit.

Jack

I don't like Watson. He's still the Blairite he's always been. It annoyed me when he and his clique tried to expel Party members, who joined to support Corbyn. I was one of them.

However Momentum's Lansman has shot the Party in the brain with his move against Watson, later in effect quashed by Corbyn.

The Labour Party have got a big problem if by being Remain Watson has gone against collective responsibility. The majority of Shadow Ministers are Remainers, I think, and want the Party to become an anti-Brexit Party. This is going to be the main argument at the Conference.

McCluskey and Corbyn are Brexiteers. They are already trying to paper over the cracks between them and the majority of Labour MPs, supporters and voters. They got away with it at the last Conference, but hopefully won't at this one.

Something like 64% of Labour voters went for Remain during the Referendum. They have been ignored for the last three years.

The latest news from the Conference in The Guardian is interesting https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-party-to-have-two-deputy-leaders-live-news

• Jeremy Corbyn is facing a clash with party members tomorrow over his plan to postpone a vote on what stance the party should adopt in a referendum on Brexit until after the general election. The party’s national executive committee has approved a motion saying this decision must “only” be taken after the proposed Brexit renegotiation. See 4.40pm. But surveys suggest the Labour membership is overwhelming in favour of remain, and at least 80 motions have been submitted saying the party should commit to remain now. Delegates will debate this decision tomorrow afternoon, but whether the conference ends up taking a firm decision, or settling on a compromise, may depend on the wording of the composite motion that is being drafted in a private meeting this evening.
Most of Labour's policies are exciting, but f^^^ 'em in terms of Brexit.

Jack
I understand Watson was planning to use conference to launch another attack on Corbyn. It could be that Lansman’s motion was a way of putting a shot across his bows and avoiding a more damaging Watson inspired row later on.

As for The Brexit issue, if you want a credible chance to stop it, you need to vote Labour or Lib Dem. Not sure what Watson’s beef is anyway, vote Labour, get referendum, campaign for Remain. Even Corbyn has suggested he wouldn’t campaign for the deal, but even if he does (and someone probably should so that both cases are properly represented) what does it matter, Watson and anyone else can campaign for Remain and you and I get to vote in referendum. Which is what we’ve been after for a few years now.

advertisement

Back