advertisement

Labour conference 2019, Tom Watson, Momentum etc

LOL, conference hasn’t even started yet and they are already ripping themselves to shreds!

Watson is getting shafted for damaging the party by, every time he disagrees with anything the leadership thinks, reaching for his journalist briefing Rolodex rather than getting stuck into the internal party debate mechanisms.

Whether you tend to agree with Watson or the leadership, that’s what it sounds like is happening, to me. His name only seems to come up when he’s trying to force issues by making them the basis of public conflict rather than (perfectly understandable) internal battles.

As deputy leader he’s part of the leadership. I suspect what you mean is every time he disagrees with Milne and McClusky.

No, what I meant was the leadership. He’s quite clearly not of a mind with the people you mention, but it’s also hard to imagine he’s on the same page as McDonnell, at least not reliably. But his most especial public dirty washing target seems always to be Corbyn.

As such, regardless of what his position is supposed to mean, Watson doesn’t seem part of the party leadership to me (ie someone who tries to pay attention, but isn’t a party member or anything like that). He seems more like the mouthpiece of an anti-Corbyn faction of the party, rather than part of the leadership of the party proper. If he fought his internal battles internally, then he’d be more like a member of the leadership, and probably wouldn’t be facing the attempt to oust him.

Watson doesn’t seem part of the party leadership to me (ie someone who tries to pay attention, but isn’t a party member or anything like that). He seems more like the mouthpiece of an anti-Corbyn faction of the party
That's exactly what he is. His main goal is removing Corbyn.

Plus he's Northern and his dad was once a binman. Yuk! Jelly Corbyn prefers something altogether a bit more refined https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-the-50m-sale-of-the-family-picasso-x9tb03dtt

social.jpg

No, what I meant was the leadership. He’s quite clearly not of a mind with the people you mention, but it’s also hard to imagine he’s on the same page as McDonnell, at least not reliably. But his most especial public dirty washing target seems always to be Corbyn.

As such, regardless of what his position is supposed to mean, Watson doesn’t seem part of the party leadership to me (ie someone who tries to pay attention, but isn’t a party member or anything like that). He seems more like the mouthpiece of an anti-Corbyn faction of the party, rather than part of the leadership of the party proper. If he fought his internal battles internally, then he’d be more like a member of the leadership, and probably wouldn’t be facing the attempt to oust him.
Yes. A significant majority of party members are hacked off with him but they have no way of removing him and he refuses to step down:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...bid-to-abolish-deputy-leader-tom-watsons-post

The Guardian article is relatively fair (it provides an LP member perspective, for once) although it's clear where its sympathies lie.

Bit of a distraction in my view but it's been brewing for a long time so it's probably best to get it out of the way now.

Practically it will make no difference: Watson did sweet FA in his role as deputy leader, and he'll continue to do everything in his power to destroy Labour's electoral chances after he's removed.

It was only a few days ago that you were angrily condemning Corbyn for not removing MPs.

Indeed, I was arguing he should have removed those who endorsed ugly white English nationalism and blurred the lines between Labour and UKIP etc. Predictably the Momentum/Militant lot have done the exact reverse and gone for one of the few in the party with the spine to take a firm moral stand against the right-wing Brexit project.

PS This is exactly the conference dialogue the political right were hoping for and the Momentum lot are so spectacularly dumb they serve it up on a plate. All they need now is some anti-Semitic tweets and for Laura Kuenessberg to be monstered by some thugs and the conference coverage is assured.

i suppose it all depends on which side of the fence that mr corbyn is sitting on you inhabit. if you are with komrade mckluski et al then i guess you would welcome getting rid of watson. if however you are with thornberry etc then you'll see it as vicious political cleansing. mr corbyn currently defines that fence and come what may, you'll no doubt have an unanswerable argument for defending and vindicating your pov. i don't have a dog in that fight but it's saddening to see once again elected representatives busying themselves with incestuous politics rather than engaging with the interests of the country. those who see politics as an end in itself, who make a career out of it, and who argue about the politics rather than the wellbeing of the people, shouldn't be allowed near the hoc imo.

advertisement

Back