advertisement

Kudos Super 20a with Linn Exakt

Sorry but wouldn't a more apt comparison be:

Linn Exakt/Akurate 4200/Super 20s against, say, a pair of Kii 3's? (and on that note, how they measure would be ONE test....how they sound would be...ANOTHER test....)

Or, if you really want to contrast "how does it work with budget components"??

Then LInn Exact/Akurate4200/Super 20's, vs.

Same sources into

MiniDSP/Crown Whatevers (4 channels of amp for 400 quid)/Super 20's.

Then again, forget the measurements, just listen and compare.

And hey--if it so happens the miniDSP/Crown set-up sounds....not as good, but fine for a fraction of the price, that's just fine for a budget system.

Both of these pairings would be interesting to compare by listening - looking forward to Keith's input as he must've done something similar at some point. Maybe MiniDSP vs Kii?

I'd like to thank sunbeamgls for helping to put Exakt out there through this thread and by exhibiting at Scalford 2017. I enjoyed the time I spent in his room. I also enjoyed the Linn Exakt demo and workshop at this year's show.

I'd also like to thank Purite Audio for saying how much Exakt retails for - at the moment. And also for pointing out that MiniDSP may be a valid alternative.

For me personally, I may well try whichever I see a good deal on first: Exakt or MiniDSP.

Thanks for the kind words lindsayt.

I went to Scalford to play my system which I enjoy listening to at home, just like previous years I've done the something similar (although only 2 out of the 5 systems I've taken there have actually been my complete main system at home - the others were put together from various systems, just for the event). It wasn't to put Exakt "out there" any more than I wanted to put Mission 773es "out there" a few years ago. I will say that I took an all Linn system to my first exhibiting experience 5 years ago when I was motivated by all the anti-Linn sentiment on the Wam :)

This review was about sharing thoughts on how much better an already well respected speaker can be when driving it actively (time aligned and near to phase linear too, in this case). Nobody has written anything about this with the Super 20, that I could find.

Rather like my notes on the Chester Show this year where the Kudos T-707 was being demonstrated to superb effect by an active system. A Naim one, as it happens. I thought these things might be of interest to the community.

Great write-up. I think what Linn are doing with Exakt and the SPACE optimisation is very interesting stuff - thanks for taking the time to share.

I'd like to thank sunbeamgls for helping to put Exakt out there through this thread and by exhibiting at Scalford 2017. I enjoyed the time I spent in his room. I also enjoyed the Linn Exakt demo and workshop at this year's show.

I'd also like to thank Purite Audio for saying how much Exakt retails for - at the moment. And also for pointing out that MiniDSP may be a valid alternative.

For me personally, I may well try whichever I see a good deal on first: Exakt or MiniDSP.

I didn't attend Scalford but I do applaud Sunbeam for 'activating' his speakers and I absolutely believe active /DSP/crossovers , is the way forward.
Just pointing out that there are less expensive options available.
Keith

I didn't attend Scalford but I do applaud Sunbeam for 'activating' his speakers and I absolutely believe active /DSP/crossovers , is the way forward.
Just pointing out that there are less expensive options available.
Keith

Cool, I was hoping there would be some experience to go along with the assertion that cheaper and "more sophisticated" produced an as good or better result. Do report back if you get the opportunity please Keith, as I'm sure many of us would be keen to spend less dosh!

Compare for yourself the functionality of the two system, the MiniDSP website is easily understood, begin with the 'applications' tab.

Keith

Compare for yourself the functionality of the two system, the MiniDSP website is easily understood, begin with the 'applications' tab.

Keith

The functionality is interesting when combined with the software and skills to make it all happen. Listening experiences are more interesting to read or experience first hand.

I tried a miniDSP stereo active crossover a while back and didn't like the way it sounded, but that's just a personal view and things may have improved since then, particularly with the more recent products.

You believe Linn's slope,order crossover frequency implementation etc etc will sound different to MiniDSPs?
It might be interesting to compare, we would need two identical donor loudspeakers and set them up identically.
Keith

You believe Linn's slope,order crossover frequency implementation etc etc will sound different to MiniDSPs?
It might be interesting to compare, we would need two identical donor loudspeakers and set them up identically.
Keith

No, I don't have expectations, never mind "belief", whatever you mean by that (except that miniDSP doesn't appear to correct for phase distortion within the driver, only crossover phase distortion, but I might've missed that bit). I suppose that the miniDSP DACs will not be as good as Linn's (as per my previous experiences), but I have no proof as I haven't heard the comparison since Exakt came out nor since miniDSP updated their product line.

Only one pair of speakers required - if they're set up for active they won't care which active system is driving them. No set up then required between changes - just a swap of cables.

advertisement

Back