advertisement

Kudos Super 20a with Linn Exakt

sunbeamgls

pfm Member
Its taken about a year to make this happen, but finally had a chance to get these speakers into my system at last.

32897233574_1331032dcf_c.jpg

Conclusion: "But here's the thing - throughout, we could both follow tunes and feet were tapping - and I mean throughout. On top of that, R kept giving little involuntary smiles and shaking his head in disbelief. These speakers are very much more capable than either of us really knew and Exakt with active amplification has brought that out from under the covers of passive operation.

I'll leave it with some of R's words - stunning, outstanding, and several more that I won't repeat in a public forum."

Full review here: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/linn-exakt-and-kudos-super-20-world.html

How much did you pay for the Linn Akurate Exaktbox in that system?

And how much for the additional channels of amplification to convert from passive to active?

How much did you pay for the Linn Akurate Exaktbox in that system?

And how much for the additional channels of amplification to convert from passive to active?

You can search Google for the price list then you can make some assumptions about ex-dem for some of the equipment, some used. One item was new. I have an Akurate Exaktbox 10, but an Exaktbox 6 would be enough for the S20s, as would the Majik Exaktbox i which has built in amplification. As it happens, I have PMC 20.26 in the system normally, so a change to Super 20 would actually mean selling some amp channels.
To go from passive to active compare the price of Akurate 2200 with 4200.
Of course, you could use a couple of 80gbp Rotel RB850s or similar or any other power amps to take your fancy or better fit a budget or both.

2016 price list states £3800 for six channel ,£5400 for the 10, and £1400 for a sub, rather expensive compared to a £500 MiniDSP box which appears to be far more sophisticated.
Keith

The point of the review was to compare passive Super 20s with the same speakers driven actively by Exakt. Some seem to have missed that point.

So you're saying with the passive system you couldn't follow the tune whereas with the Exakt system you could?

The demonstration which most impressed me at Scalford was the Linn Exakt stuff.

Interesting. I admire Linn for attempting to move on from 'traditional' high end audio and progress into DSP active designs. I haven't auditioned Exakt yet and would be interested to understand what in particular impressed you? Was it Linn speakers with amps/dacs on-board you listened to or third party speakers using Exakt?

2016 price list states £3800 for six channel ,£5400 for the 10, and £1400 for a sub, rather expensive compared to a £500 MiniDSP box which appears to be far more sophisticated.
Keith

I guess that kind of thinking could apply to all sorts of expensive DSP fed speakers.

The kind of thinking that offers better performance for a fifth of the price?
Keith

So this means you've experienced direct comparisons? I look forward to reading about your experiences of Exakt vs miniDSP in some detail please.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of that at all - I was thinking of alternative expensive DSP powered speakers or other multi-thousand pound makes of multi-channel DSP devices - presumably your view is that they can be bettered by using a miniDSP too?

Anyway, that's all a bit off-topic.

we could both follow tunes

Congratulations - but really, what does this mean? Are you referring to melody? If so, how or why on earth would anyone have a problem following one?

and feet were tapping
So what? I note that some Linn and Naim dealers still do this when trying to sell stuff but it always looks totally silly. Not still tapping away, are you?

Congratulations - but really, what does this mean? Are you referring to melody? If so, how or why on earth would anyone have a problem following one?

So what? I note that some Linn and Naim dealers still do this when trying to sell stuff but it always looks totally silly. Not still tapping away, are you?

Thanks for the feedback. Try following the tune of one or two instruments as you change items of kit - you'll find it easier on some kit than other kit, that's all. An example would be the very complex bass lines towards the end of Giorgio by Moroder by Daft Punk. Many good hifi systems will make a good job of playing one bass line and it sounds quite complex, but as the kit gets more capable, you'll realise that there's much more going on than first expected. Just an example to use in comparisons.

As for your second point, if you don't get moved enough by the timing of the music to involuntarily tap a foot or hand or nod your head or whatever you do as a natural response that's either up to you, or the kit you're listening to isn't driving / timing very well. Could be either or both. If you think that looks silly that's your view and that's fine. Forced foot tapping does look very obvious and I've seen it at many a show by many a salesperson, its not exclusive to particular brands of sales person.

Happy to read about the criteria you use for choosing kit and how you would communicate those differences.

I'd like to thank sunbeamgls for helping to put Exakt out there through this thread and by exhibiting at Scalford 2017. I enjoyed the time I spent in his room. I also enjoyed the Linn Exakt demo and workshop at this year's show.

I'd also like to thank Purite Audio for saying how much Exakt retails for - at the moment. And also for pointing out that MiniDSP may be a valid alternative.

For me personally, I may well try whichever I see a good deal on first: Exakt or MiniDSP.

Sorry but wouldn't a more apt comparison be:

Linn Exakt/Akurate 4200/Super 20s against, say, a pair of Kii 3's? (and on that note, how they measure would be ONE test....how they sound would be...ANOTHER test....)

Or, if you really want to contrast "how does it work with budget components"??

Then LInn Exact/Akurate4200/Super 20's, vs.

Same sources into

MiniDSP/Crown Whatevers (4 channels of amp for 400 quid)/Super 20's.

Then again, forget the measurements, just listen and compare.

And hey--if it so happens the miniDSP/Crown set-up sounds....not as good, but fine for a fraction of the price, that's just fine for a budget system.

advertisement

Back