advertisement

kitchen extractor fan/boiler flue question for architects and heating engineers

Thankfully I don't do the deep cleaning of canopies, although the appliances aren't any cleaner so it's swings and roundabouts!
It is a fair few years since I have, but the memories are quite distinctive!

The Xpelair has a removeable front cover which goes in the dishwasher, behind that is totally gross!

Yes, they almost invariably are. I have a horrible plastered canopy left by the previous owners of the house I am trying not to think about until I can properly remove replace and make right the whole thing. I am sure the ducting is damaged and it will be a horror show!

Yes, as long as there is at least 300mm or more between the flue terminal and the extract vent outlet, it complies with the Manufacturers instruction (which are based on BS: 5540-1).

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/z/turbomax/turbommax-installation-and-servicing-261455.pdf

Page 9, Table 1, dimension A - 300mm minimum. If it was a vertical flue it would need to be increased to 600mm.

Dave.
Thank you so much.

I misunderstood at first, thinking that vertical applied to a position above or below a flue rather than its actual orientation.

Cheers!

I just did this online calculator for our next kitchen. Looks like a generously spec’d hood is needed.

fkmUcIH.jpg

Problem is they all market their products on everything but capacity- you have to really hunt for it and that’s because it’s mostly rubbish- these are lifestyle toys for the fantasy kitchen.
Last place we had a high power external wall extractor and contrary to expectation, they can be every bit as noisy as an internal motor- the resonance just passes back down the metal ducting.

I’ve seen some solid commercial kitchen extractor hoods with stainless filters and at good prices so may pursue that with the kitchen company.

Dec,960 CM Hr is huge.
When we designed our kitchen 2.5 yrs ago now, the fitter had never heard of what I was looking at.
As per my post here previously - Luxair (made in italy) is what we went with, and I have ben exceptionally pleased that we did.
With the height you have you can get away with their huge versions, and they are very quiet, and the grease filters - superb.
So far the filters (all S/S) have been through the dishwasher twice in a year. They really didnt need that in honesty, but did it all the same.
As a cooker extractor, best I have had / seen / used in 45 yrs of cooking (bar totally professional / bespoke versions)
You will be needing big ducting (10") and very few bends to get that extract rate without horrendous noise / or ££££
https://luxairhoods.com
The one I went with - will easily do what you want (with correct size ducting) & is now cheaper than when I had mine!
https://luxairhoods.com/120cm-kitchen-extractor-fan-stainless-steel

Dec,960 CM Hr is huge.
When we designed our kitchen 2.5 yrs ago now, the fitter had never heard of what I was looking at.
As per my post here previously - Luxair (made in italy) is what we went with, and I have ben exceptionally pleased that we did.
With the height you have you can get away with their huge versions, and they are very quiet, and the grease filters - superb.
So far the filters (all S/S) have been through the dishwasher twice in a year. They really didnt need that in honesty, but did it all the same.
As a cooker extractor, best I have had / seen / used in 45 yrs of cooking (bar totally professional / bespoke versions)
You will be needing big ducting (10") and very few bends to get that extract rate without horrendous noise / or ££££
https://luxairhoods.com
The one I went with - will easily do what you want (with correct size ducting) & is now cheaper than when I had mine!
https://luxairhoods.com/120cm-kitchen-extractor-fan-stainless-steel
It was your post that got me looking- I didn’t see the model until your link above- much appreciated. I’m going for a 1m width stove. Venting will have one right angle bend above then 3m straight to external wall over cabinets.

External stainless motors are available, but the noise comes from from moving large amounts of air.
If you are not removing air you are not removing odours.

Keeping the grease filters clean is paramount. Buy an extractor with stainless mesh filters which fit in the dishwasher.

https://www.caple.co.uk/products/kitchen-appliances/extraction/extraction-motors/ddmext30/

Looking at the PDF Caple have a downdraught extractor with an extraction rate of 1400 cubic M/Hour :eek:.

I fitted an external motor extractor over a Falcon range cooker many moons ago, I used a 200mm Dia. steel spiral duct and 2 internal filters.
I was disappointed that it was noisy inside but you could hold a copy of the yellow pages to the filter with the suction :).

Most standard kitchen extractors fail to hold a single sheet of paper...

On the down side you are also removing all heat from the room.

You should also turn on the the extractor a few minutes before cooking, as you would turn on your hi-fi before critical listening.

Elica is the company I used for most of my installations, and I have fitted a few kitchens (hundreds).
https://elica.com/GB-en/hoods

External stainless motors are available, but the noise comes from from moving large amounts of air.
If you are not removing air you are not removing odours.

Keeping the grease filters clean is paramount. Buy an extractor with stainless mesh filters which fit in the dishwasher.

https://www.caple.co.uk/products/kitchen-appliances/extraction/extraction-motors/ddmext30/

Looking at the PDF Caple have a downdraught extractor with an extraction rate of 1400 cubic M/Hour :eek:.

I fitted an external motor extractor over a Falcon range cooker many moons ago, I used a 200mm Dia. steel spiral duct and 2 internal filters.
I was disappointed that it was noisy inside but you could hold a copy of the yellow pages to the filter with the suction :).

Most standard kitchen extractors fail to hold a single sheet of paper...

On the down side you are also removing all heat from the room.

You should also turn on the the extractor a few minutes before cooking, as you would turn on your hi-fi before critical listening.

Elica is the company I used for most of my installations, and I have fitted a few kitchens (hundreds).
https://elica.com/GB-en/hoods
I had an Elica external motor unit in my last kitchen but the present kitchen is 40ft above ground and I’m thinking maintenance is going to be expensive, so I’m looking for a beefy cooker hood/ motor unit above a 1000mm gas stove. What would you recommend Mr.D?

In my apartment in KL we had a wet kitchen / dry kitchen combination. Quote common in Asia and absolutely the best idea ever. Small utilitarian wet kitchen with the oven, hobs, small sink and dishwasher in a separate room. The gas stove had an extractor fan like a jet engine for smelly food and wok cooking.

The dry kitchen, open plan to the dining / living area, with a food prep, breakfast bar, sink, fridge freezer, kettle and microwave. The separation of the two food areas makes so much sense. If I ever do a new build or a major refit I would definitely do this.

Not roasted a joint indoors for 4 years now - even the christmas turkey is on the BBQ!
BBQ'ing in the rain and snow is a blast.

Good Afternoon All,

On the subject of Elica hoods we had a 6" model fitted back in 2008. Our biggest challenge was finding what I call a 'proper' vent flap. The photo's below show what we have and I must get on with finishing boxing in the outside bit.

kCfRDCA.jpg

The switch under the hood is for the external vent flap actuator.

g74PTgP.jpg

There was no way we were going to rely on one of those b****y flap things - the one in the Shower Room drives you to distraction.

We're due to start work on refurbishing the bathroom shortly (no external walls). I'm fitting a MHVR unit in place of the existing (non-functional) extract fan which relies on the Velux window being open to function properly and which will require another hole in an external wall so we have a route in and out.

In a perfect world I'd like to fit an MHVR in the Shower Room as well.

Regards

Richard

For a single room - Xpelair do a unit that requires just a single hole and does HRMV :-
Xpelair XHR150HP Single Room Heat Recovery Ventilation Unit (XHR150HP)

We use a lot of heat with oils and cook with woks.
All the extractors I've used in a domestic setting have been woeful.
We're about to embark on a kitchen refit. How will the Luxair ones compare with a commercial one like this?
They're short on the technical details though.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Luxaire use (on these models - note) the same idea as the 'pro models' no mesh involved, double channel, (baffle) one inverted over the other.
All I can say is - it works, and I am very pleased that I made the correct choice.
The images below I literally just took. These have not been in dishwasher for 8 months, may need to think about it soon :)
I use it daily, though have had to cut down on major frying for health- but curries, paella, Chinese, Thai, plus everyday cooking, the results you can see.
No gunk round the motor yet.
Fitted 18 - 20 months ago?
This is what I fitted :-
https://luxairhoods.com/120cm-kitchen-extractor-fan-stainless-steel?search=luxury

Flickr not playing nice for me right now..

E8F32714-D235-42AE-A846-021A993698A8 by SPH2701, on Flickr

64D80BB2-497F-46FE-9BA3-D3D51B232681 by SPH2701, on Flickr

The release catches are excellent, no faffing about , thumb in catch flip down and pull out - reverse to put back. very robust.
No faffing with very greasy clotth material and bits of spring wire any more.

Not sure what 350 watts gives in air movement, but 1350 Cubic M hr is a lot. On boost (ok, thats noisy) it empties a smoke filled kitchen in moments. For everyday cooking, 1 or 2 is fine and plenty quiet enough. My old twin motor Bosch thing was noisier on one than this thing is on full - and moved about 1/3 of the air.

If in UK - these guys can be useful. https://www.ductstore.co.uk/index.html

I just did this online calculator for our next kitchen. Looks like a generously spec’d hood is needed.

fkmUcIH.jpg

That looks like a commercially-aimed site to me-what that is telling you is you 'need' an extractor that can deliver 10 'room air changes an hour' for that's what it calculates out as (typical for commercial kitchens, healthcare applications etc) - total rubbish, and beyond- overkill, for heat & moisture management in a domestic kitchen.

NB for comparison, current UK Building Regs (NB this is England & Wales - I haven't checked Scotland's equiv Technical Standards but it will not be significantly different here - state:

For intermittent extract:
– Historically, a ventilation rate of 60 l/s
has been specified in the kitchen for the
removal of moisture and there is no strong
justification to amend it. The ventilation
rate removes moisture generated at a
production rate of 2000 g/h. A reduced
ventilation rate of 30 l/s is used for
a cooker hood, owing to the greater
ventilation effectiveness.
- NB That's based on a domestic cooker hood being, typically/traditionally, covering and about 750mm above the cooktop.

(at c.100m^3/hr for 30 l/s) it is a way lower requirement, just 1/10th that suggested by the 'calculator' above. Not just demonstrably sufficient - but far,far less wasteful of fan energy, and in-room useful heating.

Happy to take this to PM if you wish.

ATB

Last edited:
That looks like a commercially-aimed site to me-what that is telling you is you 'need' an extractor that can deliver 10 'room air changes an hour' for that's what it calculates out as (typical for commercial kitchens, healthcare applications etc) - total rubbish, and beyond- overkill, for heat & moisture management in a domestic kitchen.

NB for comparison, current UK Building Regs (NB this is England & Wales - I haven't checked Scotland's equiv Technical Standards but it will not be significantly different here - state:

- NB That's based on a domestic cooker hood being, typically/traditionally, about 750mm above the cooktop.

It is a way lower requirement than the 'calculator' above.

ATB
Thats interesting reading - and equates well to what I use - speed one for small cooking jobs, speed 2 for bigger / longer things. But then I like a kitchen with a fair bit of air movement and very little by way of cooking smells escaping to other areas of the house.
Still never going back to the old over cooker things I have had from Zanussi, Bosch etc. Compared to what I use now, they were positively hopeless. maybe they have gotten better, I'll never know, as this will see me / us out.

Luxaire use (on these models - note) the same idea as the 'pro models' no mesh involved, double channel, (baffle) one inverted over the other.
All I can say is - it works, and I am very pleased that I made the correct choice.
The images below I literally just took. These have not been in dishwasher for 8 months, may need to think about it soon :)
I use it daily, though have had to cut down on major frying for health- but curries, paella, Chinese, Thai, plus everyday cooking, the results you can see.
No gunk round the motor yet.
Fitted 18 - 20 months ago?
This is what I fitted :-
https://luxairhoods.com/120cm-kitchen-extractor-fan-stainless-steel?search=luxury

The release catches are excellent, no faffing about , thumb in catch flip down and pull out - reverse to put back. very robust.
No faffing with very greasy clotth material and bits of spring wire any more.

Not sure what 350 watts gives in air movement, but 1350 Cubic M hr is a lot. On boost (ok, thats noisy) it empties a smoke filled kitchen in moments. For everyday cooking, 1 or 2 is fine and plenty quiet enough. My old twin motor Bosch thing was noisier on one than this thing is on full - and moved about 1/3 of the air.

If in UK - these guys can be useful. https://www.ductstore.co.uk/index.html

Sonority, Luxair Lusso looks like a good call. I recall the Smeg glass island extractor was rated at 750m3, but it used a mesh filter which clogged up real quickly.
The Lusso appears to have the power of a small commercial unit, but doesn't look so industrial.

- NB That's based on a domestic cooker hood being, typically/traditionally, covering and about 750mm above the cooktop.

(at c.100m^3/hr for 30 l/s) it is a way lower requirement, just 1/10th that suggested by the 'calculator' above. Not just demonstrably sufficient - but far,far less wasteful of fan energy, and in-room useful heating.

ATB
Thanks Martin, it’s an area I’ve no in depth knowledge of. I’m aiming for something that will stop cooking vapours and occasional smoke just moving out of the kitchen into the rest of the dwelling. A recirculating hood in current temporary home is pretty useless at that. In last house we had a low ceiling kitchen extension on the back of a three story Victorian house, the hall and stair of which acted as a giant chimney drawing air from the kitchen. You could smell the cooking in the main bedroom after you finished dinner- that’s a bugbear of mine.

The other value of very high extraction rate is in dealing with relatively infrequent episodes of kitchen filling smoke.

advertisement

Back